1,304 vehicles impounded from drunk drivers

rooster59

1,304 vehicles impounded from drunk drivers

56-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: In the ongoing campaign against drink-driving, combined units of military, police and administrative officials have impounded 1,304 vehicles, most of them motorcycles, from drunk drivers during the past seven days between Dec 25-Dec 31.

Col Sirichan Ngathong, deputy spokeswoman of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), on Dec 31, the authorities found 7,954 violations of the drink-driving ban by motorcyclists. The authorities impounded 665 motorcycles and charged 5,194 motorcyclists with violating the traffic law.

Also on Dec 31, the authorities found 2,362 violations of the ban by vehicles for public transport and private cars. Altogether 27 cars were impounded and 2,104 drivers charged with violation of traffic law.

For the past seven days, Dec 25 – 31, the authorities have impounded 1,304 vehicles – 1,212 motorcycles and 92 cars. The owners of these vehicles can reclaim them from Jan 6.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/1304-vehicles-impounded-from-drunk-drivers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-01

'Also on Dec 31, the authorities found 2,362 violations of the ban by vehicles for public transport and private cars. Altogether 27 cars were impounded and 2,104 drivers charged with violation of traffic law'

Give yourself a big hand boys another successful crackdown....

Oh hang on a minute, 2,362 offences with car drivers over the limit and 27 cars impounded....

Hhmmm surely they cannot be calling this a victory can somebody cleverer than me work out what the %age of drivers to cars off the road is.....

'Also on Dec 31, the authorities found 2,362 violations of the ban by vehicles for public transport and private cars. Altogether 27 cars were impounded and 2,104 drivers charged with violation of traffic law'

Oh hang on a minute, 2,362 offences with car drivers over the limit and 27 cars impounded....

Hhmmm surely they cannot be calling this a victory can somebody cleverer than me work out what the %age of drivers to cars off the road is.....

Easy to hump a M/cycle on the back of a pick up, not so easy with a four wheeled vehicle. and the drivers of four wheeled vehicles tend to have heavier wallets too...

In reality if the powers that be really wanted to do something effective,those sort of numbers for cars impounded would be per province (76), not for the country.

Edited by Basil B

Just look at the photo with people sitting in the back of the ute. I'll bet they drove off from the check point exactly the same.

Add all the unlicenced kids driving motorbikes, therefore uninsured, some with pillion passengers, unroadworthy and with no idea of road rules.

Thai's have no realistic value of life, even their own and until they enforce all roads rules, this is just all for show.

The land of pretense and short minded thinking.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

A post containing a slur toward the Thai police has been removed.

not sure if the Police know what a traffic afence is !!! as you see many policman behind cars and bikes doing traffic afences and do nothing!!!!!. they should have to take a test on what is a traffic affence !!!!!. then if they get a good score . only then would then be allowed to stop vehicles. but also should be watched for an hr (when they dont know when). too see if they can do there job correctly.

then may be they could clean up the streets and drivers.

not sure if the Police know what a traffic afence is !!! as you see many policman behind cars and bikes doing traffic afences and do nothing!!!!!. they should have to take a test on what is a traffic affence !!!!!. then if they get a good score . only then would then be allowed to stop vehicles. but also should be watched for an hr (when they dont know when). too see if they can do there job correctly.

then may be they could clean up the streets and drivers.

In an ideal world yes but adding another person to the deal will just increase the fine.

Sadly the government tried this approach by making it illegal to sell alcohol within 300 metres of a school.

The only change this caused was an extra 3 baht on every bottle of beer.

Edited by Transporter

Around this village everyone knows everyone else so no confiscations here. The government workers sit around and chat or talk on the phone or don't turn up until they need to sign for their pay packet!

Easy to hump a M/cycle on the back of a pick up...

I can picture them on the vehicles in shopping malls slotting coins and humping...

So how many cars do they impound in your country?

Easy to hump a M/cycle on the back of a pick up, not so easy with a four wheeled vehicle. and the drivers of four wheeled vehicles tend to have heavier wallets too...

In reality if the powers that be really wanted to do something effective,those sort of numbers for cars impounded would be per province (76), not for the country.

Actually 77 provinces for the last 5 years... Nestled 715km northeast of Bangkok is Bung Kan– Thailand's newest province. It was part of Nong Khai before being carved out and declared the country's 77th province on March 22, 2011

Another good idea to keep death off the roads abused and corrupted by the cops.

Rates at the moment around 10,000 baht for a foreigner to ' pass ' the breath test and be on his way with his vehicle. So this does nothing to keep drink drivers off the roads in any shape or form.

Safety helmets for bikers?? A complete joke until they bring the quality of them up to international standard where they actually may do some good in an accident.

Until the Police are paid decent salaries and then hammered if they step out of line, I mean kicked out and charged with a crime and imprisoned if it is serious, not just moved to another post, it will always be the case of 'same old, same old'. It WORKED in Singapore which was also riddled with police corruption. I just cannot see it happening in Thailand.

A nameless guy at the British Embassy ( who was high up ) once said to me that the place was ' rotten from the very top to the very bottom ' and he would be happy when he was moved to another post. So, they are very aware of everything within the Embassy, they just ' toe the party line ' whilst they are in Thailand.

Whatever you negative thinkers pretend ? that makes 1,304 accidents avoided and most probably saved a few lives.... and this is good enough for me.

They should do that every day of the year.

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat

I can tell you exactly how many drivers would be banned from driving for a year if they are caught drink driving in the UK- 100%

I can tell you how many will also receive fines and points on their licenses - 100%

I can tell you how many of the 100% will also have an increase in their insurance premiums - 100%

How many of the 100% would be allowed to get back in their car and carry on with their journey whilst over the limit not 100% this time - 0%

There really are some completely retarded statements on this board from supposedly educated people.....

Of the 2,362 car drivers pulled up for being over the limit guess what, all 2,362 would be charged and if it was found any of them had done this previously they would be looking at a possible prison sentence, how many of the 2,362 the Thai's are proudly proclaiming they have caught over the limit will receive a ban do you reckon, 100%, 50%, 0%.....

Edited by mark131v

Did every one of them have a driving licence, or did'nt they bother to check that.

From my observations BiB have a problem with multi tasking, so if the purpose of a check point is to catch DUI's then other offences even when very obvious are just ignored...

Unless one really p's off the BiB...

Edited by Basil B

Hmmm...OK ....we now have some statistics to work with and some public data....... for the record.

All very interesting ....but the figures I want to know about concerns just how much money did the Police pocket and profit from their now realized to be very lucrative means of generating some more money for themselves ....while looking like they are enforcing the law honestly.

Looks good ...makes money........Wah - Hoo...Bonus .......therefore, perfect public relations police work.

Cheers

Yes they just let the 2335 drivers, drive off on their merry way. Inept Policing.

I don't think the BiB have any idea what they are doing. Drove from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai today, plenty of checkpoints. Near Wiang Pa Pao, checkpoints with signs instructing drivers in Thai and English to wind their side window down and present their driver's licence. So when I do, no-one there to check it. All the police there are busy pulling over motorbike drivers. Drove off.

At Mae Suai, instructed to pull over by police along with a white Mazda, apparently at random. Thais in the white Mazda are marched off to the station. I present my licence to a guy in ARMY uniform on the side. He looks at it, asks my Thai G/F why we've been stopped. She says I don't know. Gives me back my licence, tells us to go. I drive off scratching my head.facepalm.gif

I can tell you exactly how many drivers would be banned from driving for a year if they are caught drink driving in the UK- 100%

I can tell you how many will also receive fines and points on their licenses - 100%

I can tell you how many of the 100% will also have an increase in their insurance premiums - 100%

How many of the 100% would be allowed to get back in their car and carry on with their journey whilst over the limit not 100% this time - 0%

There really are some completely retarded statements on this board from supposedly educated people.....

Of the 2,362 car drivers pulled up for being over the limit guess what, all 2,362 would be charged and if it was found any of them had done this previously they would be looking at a possible prison sentence, how many of the 2,362 the Thai's are proudly proclaiming they have caught over the limit will receive a ban do you reckon, 100%, 50%, 0%.....

you tell a lot but avoid the question