Alcohol-Free Days In Thailand 2016

OJAS

Would I be correct in inferring from the excellent Thaivisa calendar that the "dry" days in LOS this year are as follows?

Monday 22nd February (Makha Bucha Day)

Friday 20th May (Visakha Bucha Day)

Tuesday 19th July (Asalha Bucha Day)

Wednesday 20th July (Khao Pansa Day - start of Buddhist Lent)

Sunday 16th October (Awk Pansa Day - end of Buddhist Lent)

Forewarned, as they say, is forearmed!smile.png

Good beginning but you can't predict when the authorities will come up with a few more, like if there is ever an election , or some important "religious" figure dies, etc.

The only guarantee in Thailand is that there are no guarantees

I can guarantee there won't be an election in 2016...

Am I the only one who is astonished at the number of TV posters who are so concerned about the possibility of an alcohol-restricted day? I say alcohol-restricted because you can always find a mom 'n pop store willing to sell or an eatery which will offer camouflaged alcoholic beverages. Perhaps more amazing is the thought of having a supply of your favorite alcohol at home seems to be difficult concept.

Am I the only one who is astonished at the number of TV posters who are so concerned about the possibility of an alcohol-restricted day? I say alcohol-restricted because you can always find a mom 'n pop store willing to sell or an eatery which will offer camouflaged alcoholic beverages. Perhaps more amazing is the thought of having a supply of your favorite alcohol at home seems to be difficult concept.

Am I the only one who is astonished at the number of TV poster who reply to simple requests for information regarding alchol-restricted days with sanctimonious drivel like:-

"If you can't do without alcohol for a day.... blah, blah, blah" or

"You can always buy alcohol at the mom and pop stores" or

"Have you ever thought of buying it in advance and drinking at home, etc etc"

The OP asked for information, not a moralizing lecture about his drinking habits or planning ability.

Edited by DoctorB

Am I the only one who is astonished at the number of TV poster who reply to simple requests for information regarding alchol-restricted days with sanctimonious drivel like:-

The OP asked for information, not a moralizing lecture about his drinking habits or planning ability.

Perhaps the planning ability is affected by the amount of alcohol consumed daily............

In summation we have :

No smoking

No prostitution

No drinking on many days

No buying alcohol 2 to 5 PM any day

No female toplessness, ( showing a lot of ass is Okay !

No rights as a foreigner in an accident

No right to buy/own property

But, however, we do have the right to numerous FINES not applied to Thais or "connected " people, wehave the right to an attorney AFTER our picture and VOlUNTARY confession have been media blitzed.

Kinda like we treat, ( or should treat Thai expats), in the US !

Edited by fred Kubasa

I gave him information--buy at mom 'n pops, find places with camouflaged drinks, and keep a stash at home.

I certainly am not moralizing about drinking alcohol, I love it, but I can manage a day without it being sold openly, even if it were a complete surprise to me. That is why I am so amazed and asked why so many appear so concerned about it happening.

Even more perplexing is why so many take exception to someone who wonders about it.

I gave him information--buy at mom 'n pops, find places with camouflaged drinks, and keep a stash at home.

I certainly am not moralizing about drinking alcohol, I love it, but I can manage a day without it being sold openly, even if it were a complete surprise to me. That is why I am so amazed and asked why so many appear so concerned about it happening.

Even more perplexing is why so many take exception to someone who wonders about it.

I see nothing wrong in someone seeking clarification on the 'dry days' - there could be a host of reasons for wanting to know. He, or family, may be involved in running a food and drink related business. I, for one, would certainly avoid making an appointment with friends etc for lunch/dinner on a dry day.

I think your first reply sounded judgmental.

In summation we have :

No smoking

No prostitution

No drinking on many days

No buying alcohol 2 to 5 PM any day

No female toplessness, ( showing a lot of ass is Okay !

No rights as a foreigner in an accident

No right to buy/own property

But, however, we do have the right to numerous FINES not applied to Thais or "connected " people, wehave the right to an attorney AFTER our picture and VOlUNTARY confession have been media blitzed.

Kinda like we treat, ( or should treat Thai expats), in the US !

would you like a tissue to wipe the dribble from your chin ?

I see nothing wrong in someone seeking clarification on the 'dry days' - there could be a host of reasons for wanting to know. He, or family, may be involved in running a food and drink related business. I, for one, would certainly avoid making an appointment with friends etc for lunch/dinner on a dry day.

I think your first reply sounded judgmental.

I agree there may be a host of reasons; however, how many threads on this subject have been created in the last few months regarding this topic? How many of the posters are simply seeking clarification and how many are simply complaining about Thailand having alcohol-free holidays?

Those who complain are those who amaze me. If that is judgmental, so be it.