Japanese man, 61, dies during day tour island off Phuket

rooster59

Japanese man, 61, dies during day tour island off Phuket

post-247607-0-88939100-1451712561_thumb.

Japanese tourist Jun Ich Kadoriku, 61, died while swimming on a day tour to Khai Island, off Phuket. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 61-year-old Japanese man has drowned while swimming off Koh Khai in Phang Nga Bay yesterday afternoon (Jan 1).

Marine Police received the distress call at about 3pm yesterday afternoon, informing them that Japanese tourist Jun Ich Kadoriku, 61, had separated from his tour group while swimming and disappeared during a day trip tour to the island.

“Marine Police and and a rescue team were dispatched and located Mr Kadoriku,” said Lt Ronap̣hoom Phiamphoon of the Phuket City Police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/japanese-man-61-dies-during-day-tour-island-off-phuket-55647.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-02

This story might have held together a little more if the reporter had bothered to say WHERE he was found and in WHAT condition. Very few reporters in this country are trained to ask the right questions.

RIP

...another victim of the Thailand.tourist death mill.

Far too many tourists drowning on these so called dive tours - for sure needs a government review (again) ...

Sounds very suspicious. If he was only 61 years old, obviously we can rule out a heart attack as a possible cause!

........another responsible tour guide.....

So true! If every tour operator were charged 100,000 baht, due to negligence, for each and every fatality and/or injury that happens during a tour, they would become much more vigilant. But, TIT, where speeding and reckless driving is usually just a slap on the wrist and smoking in some public places will get you a 2000 baht fine. Only in Thailand. coffee1.gif

Far too many tourists drowning on these so called dive tours - for sure needs a government review (again) ...

Sounds very suspicious. If he was only 61 years old, obviously we can rule out a heart attack as a possible cause!

It doesn't sound suspicious at all with the information supplied in this report it just sounds like he was separated from the group and probably drowned. RIP.

Several years back, two divers were left behind on a tour of the Great Barrier Reef.... It was such a big deal that they made a movie about it!

In Thailand it seems a common occurrence... No big deal at all... Except of course, for the poor bloke that died, and his family... Not a good way to start the new year

But as another poster has already remarked, it's hard to draw any conclusions from the lack of reported information, such as how long had he been missing, and we're was he found... Floating or on an island beach?

I may well be mistaken, but I always thought drowning victims sunk, until bloating sets in which causes the gases inside the body to expand, thus making the body float to the surface

Regardless... . The commonality of tourists injured or dying during tours is woefull.

But I'm sure the tourism dept will see no need to change rules... Just as there seems no reason to change tuk tuk rules... Or rather, enforce existing rules, however slim they may be

It's a crying shame really, as the tourism business in Thailand, if operated properly and responsibly, has such great potential.

would you trust your life with a thai, no way

Hmmm...I might not hold thai culture and its society in high regard but if not for a thai doctor at Phuket International Hospital I would not be alive anymore. So there you go. To add, even a tuktukdriver assisted with that.

would you trust your life with a thai, no way

Yes... But very selectively, which unfortunately is a process of trial and error.

Such things of concern to me, is ithat my doctor is relocating to the mainland somewhere.... When I asked him for a referral to another doctor, he refused the request, as he doesn't trust the other doctors in the area, which is very worrying.

So... Hope for the best... Plan for the worst.... And remember TIT.... proceed with caution.

Too many people don't know how to swim or drown proof. I grew up at the Great Lakes area and learnt to swim at a early age. In fact we had a indoor pool at my High school. Both my children took swimming lessons. Money well spent. My Tgf can swim good. Have a 4 year old now and got to find some place to get him swimming lessons also. Every one needs to learn how to swim.

Thai diving tours TRUST ME

And I suppose a "review" of that "review" would be pointless as well.

Diving?

Thai diving tours TRUST ME

And I suppose a "review" of that "review" would be pointless as well.

Diving?

Quite correct Steven - he was swimming while on a day tour.

What dive tour. Didn't read that, just that he was swimming and got separated from the group. I wouldn't think swimming needs a review, or do you know more than you are letting on?