US presidential candidates differ on border wall with Mexico

rooster59

US presidential candidates differ on border wall with Mexico

Several candidates for the presidency in 2016 have proposed building more border wall along the nearly 2,000-mile (more than 3,200-kilometer) frontier with Mexico to keep people from crossing into the U.S. illegally.

Here is what they have to say about a border wall.

___

DONALD TRUMP

Trump has been the most outspoken about building a wall, and insists he'll make Mexico pay for it.

"We're going to do a wall. We're going to create a border," he said during the third Republican debate in October. Trump, currently the front-runner for the Republican nomination, also made reference to the Great Wall of China, and claimed that "Mexico is going to pay for the wall."

On his website, Trump reiterates his assertion that "there must be a wall across our southern border." In November, after eight Syrian Christians sought asylum and turned themselves in to officials in Laredo, Texas, Trump tweeted, "WE NEED A BIG & BEAUTIFUL WALL".

___

TED CRUZ

The Republican Texas senator pledges on his website to "build a wall that works," and to "complete the wall," though he offers no specifics as to how he would do so.

___

MARCO RUBIO

The Florida senator says the most vulnerable sectors of the southwest border must be secured, according to his website. During the Republican debate in September, in response to a question, he said that "we must secure our border, the physical border, with a wall, absolutely."

___

JEB BUSH

In contrast to his rivals for the Republican nomination, Bush has said he considers a massive border fence to be unnecessary. "We don't need to build a wall," he told a group of Latino business owners in September.

A month before in McAllen, Texas, across the river from Reynosa, Mexico, the former governor of Florida told supporters that Trump's wall strategy "not based in reality."

___

HILLARY CLINTON

At a November town hall campaign event in New Hampshire, where she was asked about securing the U.S.-Mexico border, the former Democratic New York senator and secretary of state stressed that she'd voted for the 2006 legislation that authorized the building of some 650 miles (more than 1,000 kilometers) of wall.

"I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in," Clinton said, "and I do think that you have to control your borders." She later apologized for using the term "illegal immigrants." She has not said whether she would extend the wall.

___

BERNIE SANDERS

The independent Vermont senator, who is seeking the Democratic nomination, sees the importance of securing the border, but is opposed to building a fence to do so, according to his website.

"I also opposed tying immigration reform to the building of a border fence," he said during a speech in June to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-02

Silly waste of time, money and rhetoric. Here is the simple answer: Heavily fine any employer that employs illegals. So simple, yet impossible because...employers continue to hire illegals with fake I-9's. The proof is on the backs of the government to prove the employers knew they were hiring illegals and the congress won't change that. Why? Because the employers own the the Republican party.

So, just shut up about it. It's never going to happen and the only reason it's being brought up now is that it's election year. The number of illegal aliens in the US has been on a steady decline anyway.

Most of the time illegals are doing jobs legal Americans don't want.

It's all bullshit.

Build a wall...as if that's going to make any difference at all. coffee1.gif

Silly waste of time, money and rhetoric. Here is the simple answer: Heavily fine any employer that employs illegals. So simple, yet impossible because...employers continue to hire illegals with fake I-9's. The proof is on the backs of the government to prove the employers knew they were hiring illegals and the congress won't change that. Why? Because the employers own the the Republican party.

So, just shut up about it. It's never going to happen and the only reason it's being brought up now is that it's election year. The number of illegal aliens in the US has been on a steady decline anyway.

It's all bullshit.

So no businesses owned by Democrats employ illegals? I suppose it is only the California liberals who employ illegals to clean their mansions and cut their grass, but they simply refuse to hire any illegals to work in their companies. Yeah, right.

It's all bullshit.

So no businesses owned by Democrats employ illegals? I suppose it is only the California liberals who employ illegals to clean their mansions and cut their grass, but they simply refuse to hire any illegals to work in their companies. Yeah, right.

Of course liberals and Democrats don't hire illegals. The letter of the law is their guiding light and they live at the foot of the cross every day.

Edited by Pimay1

Building a wall is of no value to anyone and wastes American tax dollars. Mexican workers enter without documentation to work in American industries and are largely exploited. Jobs in the agriculture sector and laborers in construction are backbreaking jobs that most Americans will not or cannot handle. America needs to reform its Immigration system and provide work Visas and documentation to the guest workers. Without them, many industries would fold up and move abroad. Most Americans do not understand what is really happening and listen to a bunch of ignorant politicians who want people to believe if we got rid of the illegals good times would be here. Simply election year nonsense from groups that could care less about helping Americans and are solely focused on helping themselves and their wealthy business supporters. Build a wall?- who is going to build it and using what labor?

It's all bullshit.

I didn't say that. You turned my writing around. Sure, Republicans and Democrats hire illegals because there are no ramifications for breaking the law.

I said the Republican congress (as supported by Chamber of Commerce) won't change the law to go after businesses that repeatedly hire illegals. Business needs that cheap labor in certain industries.

The Republicans are hypocrites. The real solution isn't a wall, it's enforcement of the existing laws. They won't do that. "Hire an illegal, go to jail" would stop illegal immigration. We won't do that. Instead we get silly "build a wall rhetoric."

See the difference? Do you want me to break that down any further for you?

It's all bullshit.

I didn't say that. You turned my writing around. Sure, Republicans and Democrats hire illegals because there are no ramifications for breaking the law.

I said the Republican congress (as supported by Chamber of Commerce) won't change the law to go after businesses that repeatedly hire illegals. Business needs that cheap labor in certain industries.

The Republicans are hypocrites. The real solution isn't a wall, it's enforcement of the existing laws. They won't do that. "Hire an illegal, go to jail" would stop illegal immigration. We won't do that. Instead we get silly "build a wall rhetoric."

Why didn't the Democrats do as you suggest long ago? The Republicans have had control of both Houses of Congress for only the last year and have not owned the White House in 7 years.

Every city and state that is so down trodden has been under the yoke of the Democrats and Labor Unions for decades.

Blame the Democrats for their failures or move on.

It's all bullshit.

I didn't turn around what you wrote..."... congress won't change that. Why? Because the employers own the the Republican party."

I also found this quote interesting: "The Republicans are hypocrites. The real solution isn't a wall, it's enforcement of the existing laws. They won't do that. ". The Democrats are infamous for refusing to enforce existing laws. They do not want to deport illegals, but prefer to give them sanctuary. They want new gun laws restricting law abiding citizens while allowing the criminals to shoot up our cities on a daily basis.

Back to the wall...I'm all for it.

We have a large, wide-open border that is easy for anyone with anything to cross who really wants to. In today's world that is a very dangerous thing. Just hire citizens to build it. :-) After the wall is built, find the tunnels. Then, make sure that your politicians don't invite/encourage illegals to come like Obama did with the kids or Merkel did in Europe. That just gives the smugglers a guaranteed revenue stream.

I am also for a temporary work permits.

Many of those coming across the southern US border just want to earn some money to send home to family. That is commendable. Europe dreams of having immigrants who want to work and earn instead of sitting in their taxpayer funded flats enjoying all the handouts they can get (while trying to change their host culture to be more like the failed one they left behind). Our little Latino friends coming across our border are from a very similar culture with a very familiar religion. Americans should count themselves lucky we have the type of "invaders" that we do.If I were back in the States and met one, I would probably give them a hug.

But we need to control who comes across the border and a wall is a big step in that direction.

My border solution for both the US & Europe:

Create sanctuary cities/safe zones on the OTHER SIDE of the border. Imagine safe cities in northern Mexico or Northern Africa...clean(er), safe, with factories...governed by the US & EU but not on US or EU territory. The host countries might not like the idea at first, sovereignty and all that...but too bad.

Interesting ! Trump referred to the Great Wall of China! That wall which was built to prevent invasion ! Yet alongside anti religious propaganda re' terrorism there is the propagandist yellow peril insinuations. Will the general US population EVER wake up to what is being done to them?

Build a wall?- who is going to build it and using what labor?

There are 46,000 miles (74,000 kms) of interstate freeway in the US. People who haven't traveled the US on the ground can't comprehend it. Who do you think built these freeways?

Cheers.

post-164212-0-34369400-1451832762_thumb.