New Passport, Transferring Stamps

I need a little clarity, please.

I will be renewing my US passport this month because they advise renewing 6 months before expiration. Current passport will expire in August.

I have a "Non-Imm type O visa" and am on an "extension of stay due to retirement" valid until July. Also have re-entry permit valid until July.

I do my 90 day reports by mail, with the next one due in April.

My question is, do I have to make a special trip to Immigration to transfer stamps from old passport to new, or can I just wait until I go to renew my extension in June?

Can I use my old passport number on the next 90 report? (mail in)

If I travel before June, can I just carry both passports?

It would be nice not to have to make the 2 hour drive twice during the next 6 months.

Edited by curtklay

am not sure about US passports but for UK passports the old one becomes invalid as soon as the new one is sent to you, if this is the case with the US authorities then you should visit the Immigration office as soon as you get your new one, or even at the time of the 90 day report.

My (Lao) Wife just had her extension of stay (O dependent) AND re-entry stamp transferred in her new passport.

Old passport can not be used further when new passport is issued,transfer (free) asap.

Where are you, Ubonjoe?

I was hoping for a definitive answer from an expert.

Send him a PM then.

Also why don't you know the regulations of the country you wish to dwell in,seems a bit silly to me.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

Where are you, Ubonjoe?

Send him a PM then.

Also why don't you know the regulations of the country you wish to dwell in,seems a bit silly to me.

If you know the answer, why don't you enlighten me. All I have found is conflicting information.

Where are you, Ubonjoe?

Send him a PM then.

If you know the answer, why don't you enlighten me. All I have found is conflicting information.

See post number 3

ASAP = As Soon As Possible.

I did not reply before because you had already gotten the correct answer. You should have the stamps transferred shortly after getting your new passport.

The embassy will give you a letter when you pickup your new passport requesting immigration transfer your stamps.

• Like 1

I did not reply before because you had already gotten the correct answer. You should have the stamps transferred shortly after getting your new passport.

The embassy will give you a letter when you pickup your new passport requesting immigration transfer your stamps.

Ubonjoe - do you know if the Australian Embassy will provide a letter re transfer of stamps? smile.png

Ubonjoe - do you know if the Australian Embassy will provide a letter re transfer of stamps? smile.png

If I recall correctly they do a stamp in your passport that states you got new passport.

You should ask them about it when you pickup your passport.

whistling.gif I did this on 5 June 2015.

When you get your new passport they should give you a form letter requesting the transfer of your old extension details to your new passport.

Just go to your local immigration office and get it done.

No charge, but they will want a copy of the I.D. page of your new passport.

(Nothing ever gets done in immigration without a copy of the I.D. page of your passport)

And of course, you have to wait until your queue number is called.

Takes about 15 minutes, as they transfer your old data into the new passport and also enter the new passport number and details into the database under your name.

No cost, but expect to wait while they enter the new data into the database, and write the old numbers into your new passport.

The U.S. embassy will give you your old passport with a big CANCELED stamp on the I.D. photo page, if you want it to keep.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If I recall correctly they do a stamp in your passport that states you got new passport.

You should ask them about it when you pickup your passport.

I just had my extension transfered today into my new passport and yes you are correct when saying they put a stamp in your passport that states you got s new passport which also states the date you arrived in Thailand on your old passport as well as on what type of entry. At least that's what they done to me.

I just posted this same point on another related thread but it applies here too. I know Ubonjoe and others feel that it is important to transfer stamps promptly after you get a new passport. Certainly if you're going to be travelling out of the country that makes sense. However, I have yet to hear of anyone who has gone to Immigration for a new visa/extension of stay in their new passport and has been required to transfer the old stamps into the new passport first. It seems pointless to me because you are just transferring stamps that will expire in a matter of minutes when replaced by the new ones. If it's required, so be it. But has anyone had the experience of going for new stamps and being told they have to transfer the old ones first? If so, please let us know.

Cheers

TG

I just posted this same point on another related thread but it applies here too. I know Ubonjoe and others feel that it is important to transfer stamps promptly after you get a new passport. Certainly if you're going to be travelling out of the country that makes sense. However, I have yet to hear of anyone who has gone to Immigration for a new visa/extension of stay in their new passport and has been required to transfer the old stamps into the new passport first. It seems pointless to me because you are just transferring stamps that will expire in a matter of minutes when replaced by the new ones. If it's required, so be it. But has anyone had the experience of going for new stamps and being told they have to transfer the old ones first? If so, please let us know.

Cheers

TG

Answered here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/884062-chaengwattana-immigration-doing-2-things-at-once/#entry10276094