APEC card update

Dunno...most countries already provide visa free entry for united states passport holders so don't really see the benefit of such a card.

The APEC card allows a 90 day entry verses a 30 day entry. That alone is a big benefit.

• Like 1

Dunno...most countries already provide visa free entry for united states passport holders so don't really see the benefit of such a card.

The APEC card allows a 90 day entry verses a 30 day entry. That alone is a big benefit.

The APEC card (pandanticaly, the ABTC - APEC Business Traveler Card) issued by the US does not provide any of the visa benefits as the US does not provide reciprocal visa free entry. If you look on the back, there should be no countries under the "Valid for travel to" heading.

However, it is still good for priority immigration and security lines. I have recently used my US card for this at Beijing, Taipei, and BKK. Beijing was nice because it got me past a 45 min queue at immigration. I do have an extension of stay for working in Thailand, so I don't know how it would work out if you tried visa exempt with it.

I don't think it will be of use much to have a US APEC card, since the US is not a full member.

In the conditions it states:

"The APEC Business Travel Card is for members who travel frequently on short-term visits within the APEC region to fulfill business commitments. To use the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card, you must be traveling solely for business purposes to the foreign APEC economy."

So great for a full member APEC card, that you wouldn't need a B visa and still get the 90-day entry. But the US is not a full member;

"Foreign APEC member economies will not recognize the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card in lieu of a visa. Card holders must present any travel or identity documentation, such as a passport and visa (where applicable), required by the foreign APEC member economy. If a U.S. APEC Business Travel Card holder does not conform to the foreign economys visa, passport or entry requirements, the card holder may be directed to a non-expedited lane or refused entry."

I understand...for Thailand, but for many other countries, the entry is up to 90 Days (Malaysia, Singapore, etc.) Also, when I looked into the card years ago, the US hadn't signed up for the fast track immigration provisions of APEC...has this changed? I don't believe there is reciprocity viv-a-vis APEC countries and the US re visa free entries. Therefore, many APEC countries didn't grant visa free entry to Americans with an APEC card. Has this changed?

The APEC card (pandanticaly, the ABTC - APEC Business Traveler Card) issued by the US does not provide any of the visa benefits as the US does not provide reciprocal visa free entry. If you look on the back, there should be no countries under the "Valid for travel to" heading.

However, it is still good for priority immigration and security lines. I have recently used my US card for this at Beijing, Taipei, and BKK. Beijing was nice because it got me past a 45 min queue at immigration. I do have an extension of stay for working in Thailand, so I don't know how it would work out if you tried visa exempt with it.

Always fly business or first so immigration fast track is not an issue.

Or pay a small amount for wheelchair service.

Last off but among the first few through Immi due to the shortcuts they take.

Beijing doesn't have fast track for business class. Neither does Taipei. Have to queue with the plebs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beijing doesn't have fast track for business class. Neither does Taipei. Have to queue with the plebs.

fast track makes it worthwhile...and possible to fly economy without worrying about being in a queue for an hour. For Australians it takes the hassle out of visas for China, Vietnam and the extraordinary cost of the visa for Chile.