Ignorant & nasty Foreigner in our Condo..

les1

Hi everyone,

I live in <removed>Condominium, <removed>, Chiang Mai. We have a Non Smoking Policy in all common areas including the swimming pool deck. Mostly if a new renter lights up & is informed that it is non smoking area they apologise & put the cigarette out. However we have one English speaking renter who insists on smoking around the Swimming Pool, if he is approached by staff he agrees to stop & then lights up again. Around 3 weeks ago I requested him to stop smoking & it almost came to blows, now I am 71 years of age so obviously common sense tells you that this is no longer my way to go about things. I am not timid or anything like that but at my age it's not sensible.

Can any one advise me what the law, if any might be regarding no smoking area's or any other advice on how to resolve this situation with this guy. He cannot be allowed to get away with this along with the fact that if he gets away with it others will follow suit. There is always one....

Thanks in anticipation....................................unsure.png

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with LivinLOS above.

You can't stop him using the law anyway. No laws prohibit smoking in open places.

If that's again the rules in your condo, then try speaking to his landlord if that worries you that much.

I'm 68 but after the first go around - on the second request I think I'd feel obliged to chuck him into the pool.....

Or ask him if I could bum a smoke - grab the pack out of his hands and toss it into the pool as a gentle way of reminding him there's a no smoking policy......

Most things I'm patient about - but not this.....

But I seem to have a way that usually gets the point across.....

I am a non smoker.. Not a militant one but I do object if someones smoking in somewhere I am eating etc.. I would agree with 'common areas' being indoors etc..

But poolside ?? Outdoors ??

Surely thats not so disturbing...

In many Hotels etc there are non smoking signs around the pool. Most Songtaews have non smoking signs how different is that & if someone was smoking on a Songtaew should he be permitted? Smoking as we all know is even worse by second hand smoke within 30 meters. Why should non smokers be subjected to this indoors or outdoors. However the point is that he becomes violent is that acceptable?

Take a video of him doing it on your mobile handset and show it to the managementsmile.png

Probably not as much "fun/drama" as my way - but probably a better idea...

Exactly especially as the OP already said this

Around 3 weeks ago I requested him to stop smoking & it almost came to blows.

Around 3 weeks ago I requested him to stop smoking & it almost came to blows, now I am 71 years of age so obviously common sense tells you that this is no longer my way to go about things. I am not timid or anything like that but at my age it's not sensible.

So what would have happened if you weren't quite so old? I think you have given an example for a point you didn't mean to make here.

I am a non smoker.. Not a militant one but I do object if someones smoking in somewhere I am eating etc.. I would agree with 'common areas' being indoors etc..

In many Hotels etc there are non smoking signs around the pool. Most Songtaews have non smoking signs how different is that & if someone was smoking on a Songtaew should he be permitted? Smoking as we all know is even worse by second hand smoke within 30 meters. Why should non smokers be subjected to this indoors or outdoors. However the point is that he becomes violent is that acceptable?

what about the smoke of everyones car is that acceptable?

what about the smoke of everyones car is that acceptable?

That a'int the point is it......

Can we get things in perspective. I also live in Riverside Condo and, from what I remember, the no smoking policy was imposed without reference to the tenants about 18 months ago. Personally I am a non-smoker but what's the problem. I understand, and agree with the policy of not smoking indoors, but outdoors - really get a life! These little "Hitlers" that constantly try to control how others may live are beginning to make me throw up. If you don't like it for Gods sake just move up wind. What next tenants will not be allowed to use sun cream in case the smell may offend. Get a life!!!

Most things I'm patient about - but not this.....

If you were living in the US, I might see some traction here, but this is SE Asia. Yes, he's breaking the condo rule. But this is the Wild, Wild West of the East. As long as he isn't right next to you blowing his smoke in your face, then what are you willing to do?

Sixty-eight or 71, try picking a fight over smoking in an outside place (against the condo rule) and see what happens. (I realize the OP doesn't want to fight, for very sound reasons.)

Personally, I think these people are not so against the smoke, but rather the fact that some can FLAUNT THE RULE! Shock! Horror! The very audacity!

"So how did you get a crushed esophagus?"

"Some A-hole was smoking a cigarette across the pool, and that's against the condo rule! So I took his pack of smokes and tossed them in the swimming pool."

"Ah, clever move, Grasshopper. Was it worth it? Oh, wait, let me put my ear closer to that breathing hole in your neck."

Well what ever you do...make sure... try not put yourself where you find you need to defend yourself..

Someone is smoking in Thailand... You're Not in San Francisco.

Find something else or another place to hang out..

Have any Note about Non Smoking Policy in rent contract?

If Not have, why can't?

Open air place.

PS now non-smoker.

Guess its discrimination if can't smoke openair place. Minimum must be smoking and not smoking area.

as well as being against the condo rules it is against the law since the 10th of feb 2008 and yeh you might think its only one fella having a quick smoke

but I have recently had a similar problem myself when a group of smokers decided to sit either side of my seat and after already having a lung removed

due to lung cancer I am now affected by someone just with heavy perfume on never mind the two chainsmokers who decided the rules where not for

them although there are seats a short walk away for smokers and if you don't want to breath second hand smoke you can chose a seat furthest away

but what do you do when someone decides you have no rights and just come and sit next to you. I asked them to put the cigarettes out as I did not want to share

their smoke but they never so I shared my water with them and their cigarette packs.

illegal smoking

any open or closed bar/market or any where were the public

is admitted the smoker will be liable to a fine of 2000 baht

and the bar owner/proprietor of a 20,000 baht fine .google.

Interesting topic, there are obviously two sides two any argument, however, there are those on here lambasting an elderly man for not accepting rules are being flaunted. Those that ridicule the OP are those who are probably younger, who have non or very little respect for rules and regulations. Those that have been breastfed and rebel against regulations.

Is it possible the OP, in his latter years has bought his condo solely because of the non smoking rules, and it suited his age and possible future frail health ? Whether I like it or not, I do believe that rules are there for a reason, and abide by them. Anarchy is easily achieved if regulation breakers feel fit to do so with I impunity.

So for all those who think the smoker is in the right, let's see how long you will be happy with life and the repercussions if you ignore the regulations and light up on an aircraft, hospital etc ... Got the point !

If it is rule in your Apartment block that there is a Non Smoking Policy in all common areas including the swimming pool deck ask the Juristic staff to contact the owners as it is likely that in the lease agreement that they have to abide by the rules e.g.

The tenant SHALL FOLLOW General Rules and Regulations of the Building

Managed Juristic Person.

Is there signs stating "no Smoking"in these areas? If not ask them to be installed so everyone knows the rules

Is there an area outside designated for smokers, if not they should provide a smoking area.

I have indeed noticed at more than one pool, that cigarette smoke seems to be more noticeable (it carries a great distance) and offensive around swimming pools than elsewhere. I have always assumed that it must be related to either the chemicals (chlorine?) in the pool or perhaps the fact that I was exercising / distance swimming and forcefully sucking in a lot of air. Believe me, it is very unpleasant while exercising.

Hi Dipstick - Firstly I am able to confirm that OP moved in before no smoking ban was introduced - Indeed many people in condo suspect OP had input in effecting ban although this was never put to a vote. You may also be interested to learn that OP only spends 6 months per year in Thailand. Laws are to be respected but surely the majority should have there say!

Hi Dipstick - Firstly I am able to confirm that OP moved in before no smoking ban was introduced - Indeed many people in condo suspect OP had input in effecting ban although this was never put to a vote. You may also be interested to learn that OP only spends 6 months per year in Thailand. Laws are to be respected but surely the majority should have there say!

So there is definitely a no smoking ban? Why is it relevant when the OP moved in and how long he spends here?

Laws are to be respected you say,but only if they suit you?

Archived