Thai nurse's timely assistance saves German cyclist

webfact

Has anyone watched the video? I did and what I saw was appalling. This guy did not even need CPR. I'm a former paramedic and CPR instructor trainer.

First of all, she was completely irrational trying to do chest compressions and yelling "hey you" shaking him violently. At no time did she even check his pulse or breathing. Even an untrained bystander would of noticed him moving his right arm and hand trying to push her off of him. Why would a nurse do CPR on someone who is clearly semi conscious? Baffling really. Watch the video and look closely at his skin color. Another clear indication that he was not in cardiac arrest at all. And sticking a spoon in anyone's mouth who is unconscious is ridiculous. The only thing I would of done in this situation is simply put him on his side in the recovery position and monitor his vitals until an ambulance arrived to take him to the hospital. She did not save his life. I have been to many cardiac arrest calls and have done CPR numerous times. The idea that she did CPR for 30 minutes and then he suddenly woke up might make for a feel good story but it is not is not medically possible.

oh dear, you better post here your full qualifications experience where you have worked in your career and we will get independent advice from a suitable academic to assess your assessment of the situation.

I cannot view the video where I am but if what Flex is saying is correct in that the guy was moving his arms to try to push her away and obviously showing sign's of life he is bang on right, he is also right about never putting stuff in an unconscious persons mouths as all your going to do is make them gag and possibly vomit. I too am a paramedic and even without seeing the video just from the description I was scratching my head, I suppose it could just be down to the usual high standard of journalism but something is not right, either way I think the German is a very lucky guy..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this would have happened in the UK the man would have been left to die.

UK doctors and nurses if happen to come on to the scene of an emergency or an accident will not help the patient because if the person dies they can be held legally responsible. Although unfortunate he had a stroke, he was fortunate it happened in Thailand that has minus it`s more than my job`s worth attitudes. Hope he really appreciates what the wonderful nurse done for him and gives her the best new year`s present she`s ever had. He owes her his life, the most priceless gift anyone could give.

"and stuck a spoon in his mouth to prevent him from chewing his tongue."

Well done and all but I thought you weren't supposed to do this?

Still 30 minutes of CPR is impressive.

So who cares? She saved the man's life and I bet he does not give a rats about a spoon being stuck in his mouth to save lacerating his tongue.

This woman deserves every accolade which I am sure she will receive. A good story for a change and please don't try and diminish the achievement.

I care because putting a spoon in the mouth can be dangerous.

Pointing this out diminishes nothing this remarkable lady did. 30 minutes CPR is astonishing.

Get off your wannabe horse and accept that querying something does not equate bashing.

She did not give 30 minutes of CPR by herself there were two other people that were involved. Go to Bangkok Post and read their article plus look at the video. I do give her credit but the hype on her being is over done.

Well I for one don't think the hype is over done, she and any other helpers deserve all the hype they can get, and I guess your handle - crazy buffalo is pretty well spot on.

UK doctors and nurses if happen to come on to the scene of an emergency or an accident will not help the patient because if the person dies they can be held legally responsible. Although unfortunate he had a stroke, he was fortunate it happened in Thailand that has minus it`s more than my job`s worth attitudes. Hope he really appreciates what the wonderful nurse done for him and gives her the best new year`s present she`s ever had. He owes her his life, the most priceless gift anyone could give.

Utter nonsense.

The statements some come out with to denigrate their home countries, at times, is beyond belief.

Yes this lady did a great thing but to make out it wouldn't happen elsewhere is pure fantasy.

Edited by Bluespunk

I think he was very lucky to be saved to have a heart attack at the age of 41 is unusual most attacks usually happen between 50 and 60 years of age he was lucky there was someone there who had medical knowledge, good for her.

I read he was 49 yo. But that can happen quickly.

Too much cigarettes, coffee and/or alcohol can stop your life.

I have two very good Thai friends, 49 and 52 of age.

Both got a heart attack by unusual efforts.

I got the last training at age 19 with the driving test, how to do a resuscitation cardiac massage.

Kudos and a big kiss to the nurse.

Public Health Minister thanks nurse for saving German tourist

SURAT THANI, 4 December 2015 (NNT) - Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsattayatorn sent a personal thank you letter to a nurse working at Surat Thani Hospital for saving a German tourist from a heart attack.

The nurse, Sikanya Cheurob, was riding a bicycle with a friend when she spotted the German tourist, Gunter Retsch. He had collapsed from a heart attack in front of Surat Thani Cancer Hospital. Ms. Sikanya and her friend were able to bring Gunter to Surat Thani Hospital just in time to revive him. Ms. Sikanya is a nurse at the Department of Male Neurosurgery.

The Public Health Minister said in the letter that Ms. Sikanya performed her duty as a nurse, as well as a Thai citizen, by being a good host to foreigners. Dr. Piyasakol added that she made the Ministry of Public Health and her hospital proud for her act of kindness.

According to the hospital, Gunter Retsch is in stable condition and can be taken off the medical ventilator. He has been given thrombolytic blood thinner to dissolve any dangerous clots and improve blood flow to his heart. Mr. Gunter is expected to remain under hospital care for at least four days until he can be released.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2016-01-04 footer_n.gif

Glad to see a more believable account of what actually happened, for a stroke victim he seemed to make a very fast recovery as first reported, a heart attack is more plausible.

I still think school children should be taught first aid & CPR in all countries.

Complete and unmitigated tripe....

I have no idea where some people get their information as I think they must live in a parallel dimension as it bears zero resemblance to truth

The first article said a stroke, the second a heart attack. Can't imagine CPR would be much use for a stroke.

Also, seeing the video of the incident on Stickboy's site, the CPR seems to be performed on the right-hand side of his chest by the girl...

Edited by katana

That's a new one.

Has anyone watched the video? I did and what I saw was appalling. This guy did not even need CPR. I'm a former paramedic and CPR instructor trainer.

First of all, she was completely irrational trying to do chest compressions and yelling "hey you" shaking him violently. At no time did she even check his pulse or breathing. Even an untrained bystander would of noticed him moving his right arm and hand trying to push her off of him. Why would a nurse do CPR on someone who is clearly semi conscious? Baffling really. Watch the video and look closely at his skin color. Another clear indication that he was not in cardiac arrest at all. And sticking a spoon in anyone's mouth who is unconscious is ridiculous. The only thing I would of done in this situation is simply put him on his side in the recovery position and monitor his vitals until an ambulance arrived to take him to the hospital. She did not save his life. I have been to many cardiac arrest calls and have done CPR numerous times. The idea that she did CPR for 30 minutes and then he suddenly woke up might make for a feel good story but it is not is not medically possible.

well as a trained paramedic you will know where 99% of us would not but when has truth got anything to do with anything in Thailand?

I looked at the video also. I have minimal CPR training. I was horrified at what was going on in that video. The cyclist was perhaps lucky to survive their 'intervention'. Also, I couldn't see anyone checking his pulse or if he was breathing.

Edited by simon43

oh dear, you better post here your full qualifications experience where you have worked in your career and we will get independent advice from a suitable academic to assess your assessment of the situation.

She stopped and did help him.... didn't she?

Great job by a citizen...If it really took 30 minutes for emergency help to arrive, that is unacceptable....

Do they even record/study response times here? well documented in the West that minutes is the difference between life and death...

She was an exception...normal system another one dies...and it doesn't get reviewed...

Sure that the 30 mins was not media induced ?

Actually nothing she did was any help to him. In fact everything she did could have worsened his condition. You never leave an unconscious patient on his back, you never put spoons in a patients mouth, you never do CPR on a patient that is not in cardiac arrest, you never shake someone violently when he just collapsed off of a bicycle in case he injured his neck or back etc etc. tell me again how she helped?

It's too bad but her nursing skills did not match her intentions. Any real medical professional would be horrified with the "care" she provided.

Actually nothing she did was any help to him. In fact everything she did could have worsened his condition. You never leave an unconscious patient on his back, you never put spoons in a patients mouth, you never do CPR on a patient that is not in cardiac arrest, you never shake someone violently when he just collapsed off of a bicycle in case he injured his neck or back etc etc. tell me again how she helped?

It's too bad but her nursing skills did not match her intentions. Any real medical professional would be horrified with the "care" she provided.

I have not seen the video as presently I am working as a Paramedic and do not have the ability to watch youtube and such like, I will also be giving instruction into basic life support (BLS) and CPR to my crew today as it happens. I have also spent years responding to very many real situations where I have had to give CPR and advanced life support (ALS)

I would like to question peoples responses to this subject as above we have a retired Paramedic and BLS instructor telling you this care was poor and possibly dangerous

I also work in this field and from the description alone I can tell you something is very badly wrong with this situation from the initial Doctor quite categorically saying the Patient had been treated for a stroke and in fact all the way through to his recovery, the fact that the Patient was originally asking for help outside an hospital and being ignored also raises questions!!!

My question is why do people feel this situation is remarkable and worthy of all the adoration. The nurse is supposedly a health professional and as such there are certain protocols in every single situation that are pretty much set in stone, flex above has set them out and they are basics every healthcare professional should know and if they don't they should not be practicing!

For me the questions raised by this are very disturbing for one thing the fact the government are making such a big deal of this, this protocol is not some black art it happens all over the world, every single day. The fact a positive result is national news here is scary and tells me maybe the basic training is not there

The other thing other than the fact a hospital full of Doctor's and nurses ignored the guy on their doorstep is the fact the story from the Doctors seem to be a bit fluid and you could argue they are now making the treatment fit the actions and personally the whole situation sets off lots and lots of red flags!

I am not running down the nurse, she was probably in a situation that she was unfamiliar with and obviously not as well trained as she perhaps could have been. I teach my students to do something as doing nothing the patient will remain dead but to be honest the treatment this guy appears to have received could have verged on being dangerous

So the question is why are so many people happy to accept what appears to be third rate care and why all the adoration it is her job the same as it is mine and flex's, why too these outright lies and untruths about western healthcare as I can tell you right now it is way above and beyond Thailand in ALL aspects of emergency care...

I think he was very lucky to be saved to have a heart attack at the age of 41 is unusual most attacks usually happen between 50 and 60 years of age he was lucky there was someone there who had medical knowledge, good for her.

I read he was 49 yo. But that can happen quickly.

Too much cigarettes, coffee and/or alcohol can stop your life.

I have two very good Thai friends, 49 and 52 of age.

Both got a heart attack by unusual efforts.

I got the last training at age 19 with the driving test, how to do a resuscitation cardiac massage.

Kudos and a big kiss to the nurse.

Sorry, but had to laugh:- "Both got a heart attack by unusual efforts.

I got the last training at age 19"

49 is a bit early to be having a stroke!

Well done to the nurse.

PS

Anyone notice the tsta? Another quality tourist.

Yes because tats make someone evil...you sir, and your ilk are pathetic, denigrating even a good news story by...trotting out the lame "quality tourist" line...and spouting your blind, uneducated, ill informed, diatribe about tattos at any and all opportunities.