Full year tough campaign against drunk driving urged

webfact

Full year tough campaign against drunk driving urged

18-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Don't Drive Drunk Foundation yesterday urged the government to continue its campaign against drunk driving throughout the year, not just during festive season.

Foundation secretary general Dr Taejing Siripanich said the weeklong campaign that allowed authorities to impound vehicles of drunk drivers temporarily was proved to be successful in term of stimulating public awareness about drunk driving.

However road mishaps did not happen just in a week and all but could happen any time in a year, he said.

Therefore the campaign should be continued throughout the year so as to effectively bring down the number of road fatalities, he said.

He said there were over 24,000 casualties each year from road mishaps, and it was necessary that those drunk drivers should be drastically dealt with as drunk driving was a main cause of most fatal road accidents.

Meanwhile the Road Safety Centre reported that death toll from road accidents has risen to 292 in the first five days of the “seven dangerous days” of the New Year holiday season.

During the period, 2,855 people were also injured in more than 2,700 road accidents recorded nationwide.

The Bangkok Post reported that drink driving still remained the major cause of most accidents or at 23.08%, followed by speeding at 15.98%.

Motorcycles were engaged in most road accidents at 83.41%, followed by pickup trucks at 7.24%.

Chiang Mai had the highest number of accumulated road accidents at 108 and the highest number of accumulated injuries at 108.

Nakhon Ratchasima had the highest number of deaths at 12.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/full-year-tough-campaign-against-drunk-driving-urged

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-04

It REALLY is a no-brainer.

Revenue plus safer roads. What's the hesitation for?

And it should extend further than just drunk driving: Unlicensed driving, speeding, overtaking on the left, overtaking a vehicle turning right, running red lights, failing to stop at a stop sign, creating a hazard by double parking....infringements of the entire Road Code.

Can't they see that the laws in place now could reap MILLIONS in fines if only they would enforce them?

I forgot a biggy (that you may not have in BKK)...driving the wrong way! There's not a day that I don't have to swerve to avoid a motocycle coming at me, often when there's a car passing me so I'm forced into a dangerous situation.

Edited by Seastallion

Asking the Royal Thai Mafia to actually credibly work on a regular basis is akin to asking the dear General/PM to hold democratic elections. Never going to bloody happen. I reiterate, not a snow balls chance in hell.

In other news, donut shop owners nationwide are up in arms about this, saying that if the cops are forced to do their jobs, it will drive them out of business.

Edited by jaywalker

Yes, take away the toys of those drunks!

Seems 90% of accidents pertains to motorcycles and pickups. Any correlations to IQ levels?

Absolutely none!

Only because of my normal social habitat, it is mostly ex-pats that frequent the drinking holes I use. I think it would be honest to say that i am the only one who abides by the drinking/driving laws here in Thailand, if more than two drinks puts you over the allowable limit. IQ levels pretty high, non of them drive motorbikes (step-through's anyway) and few drive pickups.

I see this more clearly than most as i neither drink or drive........................wink.png

Hope that observation doesn't put too many on the defensive.

And it should extend further than just drunk driving: Unlicensed driving, speeding, overtaking on the left, overtaking a vehicle turning right, running red lights, failing to stop at a stop sign, creating a hazard by double parking....infringements of the entire Road Code.

Can't they see that the laws in place now could reap MILLIONS in fines if only they would enforce them?

I forgot a biggy (that you may not have in BKK)...driving the wrong way! There's not a day that I don't have to swerve to avoid a motocycle coming at me, often when there's a car passing me so I'm forced into a dangerous situation.

Seems to me that it's a good approach, but it didn't work all that well, therefore the punishment needs to be even harsher.

Also, given the number of cars that were impounded I wonder whether the police were even serious about following the directives? This is perhaps borne out in the various reports of policies for Pattaya, policies for Phuket, policies for Chiang Mai, etc.

Surely it should be one national policy.

Roll on police reform so that there is much more professionalism, consistency, etc.

Yes, take away the toys of those drunks!

Seems 90% of accidents pertains to motorcycles and pickups. Any correlations to IQ levels?

Let me think. Are you joking !!! IQ = "Intelligence Quotient" Please explain how this relates to Motorcycles and trucks ?

It is the same as a hole in your shoes = Low IQ or a marathon runner ? Hole in your head or shot by your crazy wife.

Grow up, please.

We can thank corrupt taxi drivers for this. I believe a great deal of this drink driving is a knock on effect from them.

I think in order to tackle drink driving, they need to give people an alternative. I have frequently found that despite my strongest wishes to take a bus or taxi back home after drinking in various cities in Thailand, particularly outside of Bangkok, there are no taxis, songtaews, or buses past midnight that will take you home without asking an extortionate amount of money.

Bangkok is usually the best, with many taxis using the meter, but some asking double the fare and refusing to take you.

However, places like Pattaya and Phuket are the worst at rates on average of 100 Baht per kilometre in Pattaya for songtaews, and 150 Baht per kilometre in Phuket for unmarked taxis (all of them are unofficial). They ask even more if it's raining too.

Fortunately for my choices, I have always gone somewhere close by so I can walk the 2 or 3KM to get back to my accommodation. Not everyone will be so lucky.

Edited by Bear0Mack

Don't Drive Drunk Foundation yesterday urged the government to continue its campaign against drunk driving throughout the year, not just during festive season.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the Foundation, realistically you can't do that to the BiB. You have to slowly ease them into the practice of doing their job year-round, 24/7, and maybe in a few decades you will see the result we want. Urging or demanding something right now will confuse the BiB into a catatonic state, or trigger misunderstanding mode...So, all in all, doing their job twice a year is not such a bad thing. I suggest to simply extend the holidays every year to make those periods longer...

฿฿฿ Cha-Ching ฿฿฿... The BIB finally figures out that drunk drivers are a money-maker. 20K THB fine and fines for vehicle impoundments. "Hey! Let's do this all year?" thumbsup.gif

Don't Drive Drunk Foundation yesterday urged the government to continue its campaign against drunk driving throughout the year, not just during festive season.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the Foundation, realistically you can't do that to the BiB. You have to slowly ease them into the practice of doing their job year-round, 24/7, and maybe in a few decades you will see the result we want. Urging or demanding something right now will confuse the BiB into a catatonic state, or trigger misunderstanding mode...So, all in all, doing their job twice a year is not such a bad thing. I suggest to simply extend the holidays every year to make those periods longer...

If there is money to be made, I'm sure the BIB will be all over it like white on rice.

While they think they are sooOOO smart....

In Europe we have alcohol-tests and if they get you, you lose your driving license for until 6 months... (NOT confiscated car!)

And you WILL NOT drive a car during this period!

We do it since over 30 years...

That's maybe the reason in Switzerland we had 2 (two) deaths on the road... In 1 (one) year!

NO education! NO civism! NO help to the fellowman in need!

As a Swiss I do regret this lack of Education...

You forgot "not using indicators" or "stopping on the road without a reason" , or "calling while driving."

In BKK you see motocycles driving against traffic every 30 seconds.....even cars do it and for tricycles who are vending it's normal to do.

You forgot "not using indicators" or "stopping on the road without a reason" , or "calling while driving."

In BKK you see motocycles driving against traffic every 30 seconds.....even cars do it and for tricycles who are vending it's normal to do.

And that's why I asked, "Is there any correlations with IQ levels?" A valid question from the observed behaviours.