New Honda civic not getting the 1.5 Turbo engine in Thailand.. Surely not?

Huayrat

I was going to buy this car but if they sell it with the Garbage 1.8 engine with no power instead of the 1.5 Turbo then I'll be keeping my money.. What's a lovely car they have built but if rumors are true they will be selling it with the crappy engine.. Before anyone says it's theTax structure here that's why, yes I know but what ever happened to having a choice... Thailands car market will be suffering again this year... Ppl are driving around in 20 year old trucks but they do nothing to take them off the roads

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not. After all we didn't get the Suzuki Swift 1600 Sport here did we?

I don't think it is all tax structure. It is all about show here, so a bigger car even though it has a smaller engine. Not many the other way around?:-(

Well that article does NOT state the 1.5 is not coming. The 1.8 will come when the car is first released here. I have nothing confirmed, but I've been given information that the 1.5 will come along later in the year. Nothing officially released in the press though. The 1.5 will slaughter the competition with a much better driving experience, body rigidity and 0-100km/h in less than 8 secs with the cvt. I would not buy it with the 1.8 though and would also wait for the 1.5. Perhas honda does not want to release info just yet if it means even lower sales of the current model.

Well that article does NOT state the 1.5 is not coming. The 1.8 will come when the car is first released here. I have nothing confirmed, but I've been given information that the 1.5 will come along later in the year. Nothing officially released in the press though. The 1.5 will slaughter the competition with a much better driving experience, body rigidity and 0-100km/h in less than 8 secs with the cvt. I would not buy it with the 1.8 though and would also wait for the 1.5. Perhas honda does not want to release info just yet if it means even lower sales of the current model.

No reason at all for them not to sell the 1.5 Turbo straight away..

0-60 MPH in 6.5 Seconds.. What a car but if they put that garbage 1.8 in it then you won't see the Turbo being sold here..

I won't be buying it either

I suspect that from the driver's seat, the upcoming Focus 1.5L Ecoboost is going to be the car doing the slaughtering, but the new Civic is just so much more stylish than the Ford...

I suspect that from the driver's seat, the upcoming Focus 1.5L Ecoboost is going to be the car doing the slaughtering, but the new Civic is just so much more stylish than the Ford...

Would love to see that ecoboost here too...and it should also come with a conventional gearbox...6 speed auto I think...honda really needs to get on the game now. The 1.8 is dated, even more than my old 2.0 k20A3. There's no reason to sell it alongside the 1.8, which will be a lower spec. The 1.5 would be top spec - the same way the diesel m2 is top spec over the petrol versions. Please anything but a boring altis!!

Not hard to beat when you're against the third ugliest car in the market (after the fiesta) wai2.gif

Ford festa and focus must be selling 90% of their units to farangs because its a loss of face for thais with that styling, most of the time i don't even know if its a focus or fiesta untill i read the text in the back. They look exactly the same(like a Chinese toy gone bad).

Crossing finger for turbo, just need one of them and the demand from all young thai guys will drive other companies to do the same

Edited by bearpolar

Not hard to beat when you're against the third ugliest car in the market (after the fiesta) wai2.gif

Ford festa and focus must be selling 90% of their units to farangs because its a loss of face for thais with that styling, most of the time i don't even know if its a focus or fiesta untill i read the text in the back. They look exactly the same(like a Chinese toy gone bad).

Crossing finger for turbo, just need one of them and the demand from all young thai guys will drive other companies to do the same

The Fiesta and Focus sell units? :P

The 'powershift' dual clutch has received so much bad press in TH, I'm surprised they sell any. The move back to torque converters is critical if they want sales.

Get the 1.8 and install a turbo, problem solved and more power, but that may be too much logic applied? coffee1.gif

You clearly don't have much idea of what's involved in converting an engine to turbo charging. It's a lot more complicated than just bolting on a turbo, and not exactly a sensible suggestion.

Get the 1.8 and install a turbo, problem solved and more power, but that may be too much logic applied? coffee1.gif

You clearly don't have much idea of what's involved in converting an engine to turbo charging. It's a lot more complicated than just bolting on a turbo, and not exactly a sensible suggestion.

Oops

Lower the compression, upgrade the injectors/fuel pump to get more fuel flow, add a turbo, hope that the stock ECU can still maintain stoich and go. Not that hard :P

You forgot to add an intercooler and pipework, fabricate a new exhaust, come up with some system to control the waste gate to regulate boost, figure out some way to stop knocking occurring before you destroy the engine...

The intercooler, pipework, exhaust, wastegate (usually integral anyway) and a blow-off valve are gimmes. And I did cover knocking, kind of, hehe :P

Based on the Honda website when trying to read in English where it reverts back to Thai when changing pages. Then not having the diesel offering in the X-RV range in what would have to be one of the most diesel-centric markets in the world, where a diesel is already offered in many other parts of the world. The logical conclusion is Honda Thailand DELETED will only allow on to the market the bare minimum to maintain their sales. People interested in a bit of performance are not catered for and are probably pesky expats anyway. If you doubt how Honda Thailand views non-Thais, then their own website functionality probably expresses it best.

So the chance of the turbo 1.5L in the civic for Thailand is probably slim to none.

Cheers

Edited by seedy
language

No clearly I don't, BTW since when do you HAVE to have an intercooler? You do know it isn't necessary for a turbo it just happens to produce more HP? But no, you're right I've no idea what's involved? rolleyes.gif BTW what's even less senseless, is that you took my post seriously facepalm.gif .. However new engines are the best application since the tolerances are at their optimum preventing too much blow by and since the displacement, in this case, is larger you can get more Hp without having to jack up the boost beyond safe limits for the OEM internals. What was it you were saying again? whistling.gif Most of turbo charging is merely bolt-ons and the rest is a simple matter of ECU tuning coffee1.gif . It's the way to quick and easy OEM Hp, always has been and is the case even more so on new models with the ECU's available on today's cars OEM.

Lower the compression, upgrade the injectors/fuel pump to get more fuel flow, add a turbo, hope that the stock ECU can still maintain stoich and go. Not that hard tongue.png

All true but you don't necessarily need to lower the compression, just compensate on boost instead.

Edited by WarpSpeed

You forgot to add an intercooler and pipework, fabricate a new exhaust, come up with some system to control the waste gate to regulate boost, figure out some way to stop knocking occurring before you destroy the engine...

Pretty sure ALL of that is already available OTC aftermarket without the need for fabrication most times the Honda aftermarket precedes the model introduction these days so again still an easy job to do if one wishes to and like I mentioned an intercooler is not even necessary, it just produces more Hp.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually, you can keep saying that but it isn't making you appear any more intelligent or knowledgeable it's a fail frankly and I've made all the educational comments on the topic I never meant seriously anyways and now it's off topic so..............But FYI it's done successfully all the time.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yeah sure, it's not a 5-minute DIY, but sheesh, it's also not rocket science smile.png

The math is all pretty straight forward, as are the components involved.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Why don't we just suggest he buys the 1.8 and swaps the 1.5 in later when it becomes available?

This is the problem with some car enthusiasts. They forget that most people just want to buy a car and drive it, not plan, execute and troubleshoot a complicated installation. It was a silly suggestion that got the response it deserved.

^ For the third and final time, this is the problem when some people take EVERYTHING posted on a forum literally and can't see the humor for the banter in spite of being explained several times previously. The fact still remains however it CAN be done if the Op so desired and without too much fuss.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The 'powershift' dual clutch has received so much bad press in TH, I'm surprised they sell any. The move back to torque converters is critical if they want sales.

Is it really that bad? Compared to what? I have two mates with 1.0 Eco boost neither complains!