New Honda civic not getting the 1.5 Turbo engine in Thailand.. Surely not?

Huayrat

The 'powershift' dual clutch has received so much bad press in TH, I'm surprised they sell any. The move back to torque converters is critical if they want sales.

Is it really that bad? Compared to what? I have two mates with 1.0 Eco boost neither complains!

No, not really - the primary complaint is clunky/jerky shifts at low speeds - which is just the nature of the DCT tech really. The Benz *A class have the same issues, but people buying them know what to expect I guess?

If you want a smooth shifting auto, don't buy a DCT. If you wanted a smooth shifting auto but bought a DCT, take it to the media and see if that works to get your money back, I suppose :P

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cant even think of people here driving turbo engines. Wonder how many people would be killed for every kickdown..

that would be a lot....coz all the pick ups are turbo engine cars....!

We are not talking about a 4 liter car with a bit turbo, but small engine replacements with small turbos, which I strongly believe is the way to go forward, although I am not 100% certain about the reliability in the climate we are having here....yet I am not tech guy. Most of those small displacement engines with forced induction are coming from Europe....

Good to see that finally the Japanese brands are catching up and not only selling their 'dusty' old tech to Thailand

By they way....after 6 months my little Citroen DS3 (1.6 turbo) is doing fantastic, not a foot set wrong....great little car to drive with a very slick manual gear shifter. Rare to find, but well worth it...If you can find a decent one at under 750-800K go for it....a little softer than a Mini, which works quite well on local roads.

Difficult to believe people are debating pissant 1.5 and 1.8 litre engines with or without turbo boost here in Thailand. IMHO it's already been established Thailand gets lower spec vehicles than what is exported. Not surprising given the underwhelming competence of Thai drivers.

I shudder to think of a Thai driver behind the wheel of a CV8 Monaro.facepalm.gif

Difficult to believe people are debating pissant 1.5 and 1.8 litre engines with or without turbo boost here in Thailand. IMHO it's already been established Thailand gets lower spec vehicles than what is exported. Not surprising given the underwhelming competence of Thai drivers.

I shudder to think of a Thai driver behind the wheel of a CV8 Monaro.facepalm.gif

Not familiar with the CV8 Monaro, so I googled it - which turned up this:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=New-Car-Test-Holden-Monaro-CV8&A=1381

Then we did a hand-timed 0-100, which gave figures in the mid sevens.

So not that much faster than these little 1.5L turbos - which in the case of the Focus has a confirmed March release, and for the Civic is a gimme IMHO - it's just a matter of when.

Edited by IMHO

The days of the unnecessarily big engine are past. Even F1 is using 1.6 turbos now.

Get the 1.8 and install a turbo, problem solved and more power, but that may be too much logic applied? coffee1.gif

You clearly don't have much idea of what's involved in converting an engine to turbo charging. It's a lot more complicated than just bolting on a turbo, and not exactly a sensible suggestion.

Lower the compression, upgrade the injectors/fuel pump to get more fuel flow, add a turbo, hope that the stock ECU can still maintain stoich and go. Not that hard tongue.png

All true but you don't necessarily need to lower the compression, just compensate on boost instead.

Some cars (modern) most definitely need compression lowered.

Back on topic - happened to be in the Honda Sukhumvit (Ekamai) dealership today and, unprompted, sales girl said that the new Civic would launch at the next Motor Show (April) and would include turbo engine. She had no idea about pricing or anything else.

Back on topic - happened to be in the Honda Sukhumvit (Ekamai) dealership today and, unprompted, sales girl said that the new Civic would launch at the next Motor Show (April) and would include turbo engine. She had no idea about pricing or anything else.

Thanks for that info but I won't be believing what a woman says in the dealership til I see the press release.. Ihope she is correct though

Not familiar with the CV8 Monaro, so I googled it - which turned up this:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=New-Car-Test-Holden-Monaro-CV8&A=1381

Then we did a hand-timed 0-100, which gave figures in the mid sevens.

So not that much faster than these little 1.5L turbos - which in the case of the Focus has a confirmed March release, and for the Civic is a gimme IMHO - it's just a matter of when.

Slower than the civic and the civic looks better by miles... If that's an import it will cost more also..

So the civic wins easily

Thanks for that info but I won't be believing what a woman says in the dealership til I see the press release.. Ihope she is correct though

Well what I've heard is that the 1.8 will be released in April (the Show), but the 1.5 will be along a bit later in the year....I'm hoping it's correct also. From overseas reports just about everything in the 10th gen is better the 9th gen. Fingers crossed!!

Well what I've heard is that the 1.8 will be released in April (the Show), but the 1.5 will be along a bit later in the year....I'm hoping it's correct also. From overseas reports just about everything in the 10th gen is better the 9th gen. Fingers crossed!!

I just don't get it ... Why put a gash 1.8 engine in it and change it later on... I'll be worried if they do as I can't seeing them putting the Turbo engine in if they do :-(

I'm not too happy with Honda. They have started leaving features off. The top HRV here doesn't have 4 WD for one thing ,yet the U.S. CRV is just the same as here ,only diff is the rhd .Will await the new Civic ,but if it's got blanking covers over the dash,no turbo ,cheap alloys and sound system they can stick it where the sun don't shine. Last top Civic was U.S. Spec where it mattered.

I'm not too happy with Honda. They have started leaving features off. The top HRV here doesn't have 4 WD for one thing ,yet the U.S. CRV is just the same as here ,only diff is the rhd .Will await the new Civic ,but if it's got blanking covers over the dash,no turbo ,cheap alloys and sound system they can stick it where the sun don't shine. Last top Civic was U.S. Spec where it mattered.

Yeah all car companies in Thailand do that.

Look at Ford with the top spec Ranger/ Mazda with the top spec 3/ Chevrolet with the cruze etc etc etc.

I can only guess it is done to limit top spec pricing... Wildtrak 3.2 here is what 1.1 million baht in the UK and Aus it is over 2 million baht but they get a lot more features.

Look at Ford with the top spec Ranger/ Mazda with the top spec 3/ Chevrolet with the cruze etc etc etc.

I can only guess it is done to limit top spec pricing... Wildtrak 3.2 here is what 1.1 million baht in the UK and Aus it is over 2 million baht but they get a lot more features.

The 2016 WIldtrak top model is now 1.189M Baht, and matches the Aussie spec 1:1, except for GPS Navigation.

The 2016 XLT's here still do not get the SYNC2 system or safety features of the Aussie versions though.

Edited by IMHO

The 2016 WIldtrak top model is now 1.189M Baht, and matches the Aussie spec 1:1, except for GPS Navigation.

The 2016 XLT's here still do not get the SYNC2 system or safety features of the Aussie versions though.

Wow, I stand corrected. Good to hear ford Thailand stepped up the 2016 wildtrak to match export specs. Makes it a relative bargain, Does it get the roller shutter as well ?

Edited by Don Mega

Wow, I stand corrected. Good to hear ford Thailand stepped up the 2016 wildtrak to match export specs. Makes it a relative bargain, Does it get the roller shutter as well ?

The Roller Shutter is a 65,000 THB dealer fit option.

It's about 100k on the price list I have from Ford. Maybe they've recently reduced it?

It's about 100k on the price list I have from Ford. Maybe they've recently reduced it?

It's always had an MSRP of 100,300 Baht, but has always been on promotion for 65,000 ;)