Thailand versus Singapore: Why long-term planning does matter

webfact

Absent from Thailand's political aspirants is another Lee Kwan Yu , someone with vision , Democrats Chuang had the right goods but over heated and sank, not very many countries have outstanding leaders , OZ hasn't had any since the Hawke , Keating era 30 years ago , you also have to have a good team with you and that was Chuang's problem, Thai politics is littered with self serving what's in it for me attitude , one vision that Thailand lost sight of is the poor standard of water supplies , that needs forward planning at least 25 years , Thailand has stagnated since 1998 and really hasn't lived up to its late nineties reputation, substandard education along with some ancient traditions and an interfering Military , will make Thailand always an emerging economy , a back water , till someone with a vision and a team that will challenge the status quo, comes along..................................coffee1.gif

x2

Almost everybody in Singapore lives in a condo, i haven't seen any houses or moobaans.

Draft beer costs about the same as in Europe, drinking water is expensive. The bars look great, just like in Europe. They also sell doner kebab outside on the street and there are policemen walking around the bars.

On the bridges the people sit at night in big groups, drinking/smoking and having fun.

Yes Singapore costs more but it's more clean, safe, educated, organised. Also there are great attractions for free like the Gardens at the Bay. The cityboats are cheap and perfect and the metro/skytrain is everywhere.

If i was a multinational company i would settle in Singapore.

I'm always amazed in how some compare Singapore (a small island) with only a land size of 718 sq/km and population of 5.4M to Thailand with a land size of 513,120 sq/km and a population of 67M.....or just comparing Singapore, a small island city state where most any other country is much larger in land size and population. Singapore may be a country in name but it's really nothing more that a very small country composed of one city with a population approx half that of Bangkok. Like comparing apples and oranges. Singapore is pretty much forced into good community planning due to so little land availability that good urban planning is an issue of survival.

Agree. People don't realize that Singapore is not a true democracy....a dictatorship more like. Much easier to run a country when you can pretty much do as you please. In choosing between Law and Order vs. Freedom, Singapore chose the former long ago. I do wish that these expats bashing Thailand would just relocate to Singapore, but none of them could afford it.

The question is why dont the Expat whiingers relocate anywhere - there are cheaper places than Thailand. Nope - they stay and whinge and complain - because that is how they are and always will be.

Comparing Thailand's lack of planning to Singapore's over-planning is not a valid comparison - they are driven grumpy people in Singapore and here they are smiling and happy. There are many reasons for that and the Thai will stay that way no matter what some Expat whingers say or do.

Seems like the only hope for Thailand would be to beg Britain to

colonise them. This would give Thailand rule of law, and police

who are not out to line their pockets....

Right and then thousands of young girls can be abused without the Police doing anything about it.......