San Sai water pressure and cut-offs

LannaGuy

bit more news on water 'san sai style'

it's not city water but well water and pretty dirty, full of manganese, so i'll have to buy a filter system I'm told (around 40,000) and probably a bigger tank (mies 400 liter need 1000 I think). Cut off again yesterday so storage is the key.

Your water is Well water from your well, not from a city, moonbaan or village system?

it's not city water but well water and pretty dirty, full of manganese, so i'll have to buy a filter system I'm told (around 40,000) and probably a bigger tank (mies 400 liter need 1000 I think). Cut off again yesterday so storage is the key.

Your water is Well water from your well, not from a city, moonbaan or village system?

village well but I just heard that city water has been stretched to parts of san sai so Im investigating

village well but I just heard that city water has been stretched to parts of san sai so Im investigating

Tell whoever is in charge of the village well, that the contents of the filter need changing every year. Assuming they have a filter. By village, do you mean a real village, or one of those "Stepford Wives" places?

Tell whoever is in charge of the village well, that the contents of the filter need changing every year. Assuming they have a filter. By village, do you mean a real village, or one of those "Stepford Wives" places?

filters don't stop manganese anyway I'm investigating if we can get citywater as some parts of san sai have it

filters don't stop manganese anyway I'm investigating if we can get citywater as some parts of san sai have it

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know you have a manganese problem?

if you have to ask the question you do NOT have the problem biggrin.png manganese looks a bit like rust but I am familiar with it and it blocks pipes and all sorts. Put your hand in your tank and run a finger along the inside edge and if you get a rusty colour 'slime' that's almost certainly manganese and is a common problem in wells in chiang mai

Edited by LannaGuy

if you have to ask the question you do NOT have the problem biggrin.png manganese looks a bit like rust but I am familiar with it and it blocks pipes and all sorts. Put your tank in your tanks and run a finger along the inside edge and if you get a rusty colour 'slime' that's almost certainly manganese and is a common problem in wells in chiang mai

I thought that was rust. We get it in non filtered water in irrigation pipes, but not the house. Our whole house filter is due a re-fill, so will get the wife to ask the "water filtration engineers" about it. Our supply is from our own borehole. Water only for washing, not drinking.....

if you have to ask the question you do NOT have the problem biggrin.png manganese looks a bit like rust but I am familiar with it and it blocks pipes and all sorts. Put your tank in your tanks and run a finger along the inside edge and if you get a rusty colour 'slime' that's almost certainly manganese and is a common problem in wells in chiang mai

I thought that was rust. We get it in non filtered water in irrigation pipes, but not the house. Our whole house filter is due a re-fill, so will get the wife to ask the "water filtration engineers" about it. Our supply is from our own borehole. Water only for washing, not drinking.....

no it'll almost certainly be manganese which is more unsightly than dangerous unless in large doses and in seven years I have never drunk even one glass of Thai water. also don't forget filters as bought in HomePro etc. are good for city water but NOT wells etc. drink bottled only and use the rest for washing, showering and the garden

post-233765-0-62519500-1452163836_thumb.

It is those Stepford Wives for sure. Nobody else could turn city water into village well water, create a manganese that was rust(or rust that was manganese?) and make it impossible to filter out unless you use imported bottled water, not Thai water.

Time for a cool one ME.

It is those Stepford Wives for sure. Nobody else could turn city water into village well water, create a manganese that was rust(or rust that was manganese?) and make it impossible to filter out unless you use imported bottled water, not Thai water.

Time for a cool one ME.

Cold ones thumbsup.gif

If there was not a problem before the outage you may be ok, as the well may require time to settle down, you obviously will still have manganese in the water but it may be not such a big problem .

Normally the water may be treated at the well head some of these plants have there own filters and chlorination systems.

Once the water runs clear, I would dump what you have in tank clean it out if you are able, throw bottle of bleach in the tank refill leave for 4hours then dump and refill. it won't get rid of the manganese but will ensure your tank is fairly bug Free

PS when you do eventually get your pool do not fill it with water that has manganese in it get it tankerd in from a known source, your pool contractor, ok for topping up though.

http://water.me.vccs.edu/courses/env115/lesson7.htm

a filter won't stop the dissolved manganese but will stop dissolved iron anyway it is what it is and a common problem. if I can get city water I'll use the well village water for the garden

You can.

Please fully read the article.

We used this system to remove Manganese from the water used at the white water rafting/canoeing centre for the London Olympics. (Not my company design)

Manganese Greensand Filters

Manganese greensand filters use a special type of medium that removes iron and manganese by a combination of both adsorption and oxidation. In the process, permanganate is added ahead of the greensand filter to allow the grains of the medium to become coated with oxidation products. The oxidized greensand then adsorbs the dissolved iron and manganese from the water, after which the substances are oxidized with permanganate and removed by the filtering action of the filter bed. A potassium permanganate backwash is used to regenerate the bed, or permanganate is fed continuously in a small dose.

Greensand grains are somewhat smaller than silica sand, so the head loss can quickly become excessive under a heavy loading. The length of filter runs can be increased by adding a layer of anthracite above the greensand.

When the lowest concentration of iron and manganese are required, and when footprint and chemical disposal issues are critical, membrane filtration should be considered. Membrane systems are able to reduce pumping costs by operating without breaking head, i.e. the water is pumped directly from the well to the membrane and subsequently to the distribution system without the need to collect filtered water in a clearwell or other storage vessel.

http://water.me.vccs.edu/courses/env115/lesson7.htm

a filter won't stop the dissolved manganese but will stop dissolved iron anyway it is what it is and a common problem. if I can get city water I'll use the well village water for the garden

You can.

Please fully read the article.

We used this system to remove Manganese from the water used at the white water rafting/canoeing centre for the London Olympics. (Not my company design)

Manganese Greensand Filters

Manganese greensand filters use a special type of medium that removes iron and manganese by a combination of both adsorption and oxidation. In the process, permanganate is added ahead of the greensand filter to allow the grains of the medium to become coated with oxidation products. The oxidized greensand then adsorbs the dissolved iron and manganese from the water, after which the substances are oxidized with permanganate and removed by the filtering action of the filter bed. A potassium permanganate backwash is used to regenerate the bed, or permanganate is fed continuously in a small dose.

Greensand grains are somewhat smaller than silica sand, so the head loss can quickly become excessive under a heavy loading. The length of filter runs can be increased by adding a layer of anthracite above the greensand.

When the lowest concentration of iron and manganese are required, and when footprint and chemical disposal issues are critical, membrane filtration should be considered. Membrane systems are able to reduce pumping costs by operating without breaking head, i.e. the water is pumped directly from the well to the membrane and subsequently to the distribution system without the need to collect filtered water in a clearwell or other storage vessel.

haha ok I suppose what I meant to say is "Thai filters and Thai staff maintaining them often do not get out the manganese" I wasn't really saying it's impossible... anyway this thread is not really about manganese (interesting though it is)

I went to the PWA offices and asked them not to extend the water mains any further as I was extremely worried about loosing some of my water pressure, after a lengthy meeting which concluded in a lavish lunch at the Le Meridian they agreed to shelve the project for the next 20 -30 years.

PM sent

I went to the PWA offices and asked them not to extend the water mains any further as I was extremely worried about loosing some of my water pressure, after a lengthy meeting which concluded in a lavish lunch at the Le Meridian they agreed to shelve the project for the next 20 -30 years.

PM sent

laugh.png