What's the difference between Thai's intl school compared to schools in home country?

jiangaq

I'd like to put my children into international schools in Chiangmai, DELETED (don't take me wrong, but Thai people are friendly), I'm worried if my children enrolled in Thai school(prefer in international schools), in the future, will be the same DELETED

Edited by seedy
disrespectful

International schools cost 600.000/year and up, can hardly be value for money I guess.

But a standard school incl. brainwashing, modified history books and teachers who can't speak English won't make the kid a highflyer. And yes also makes them non-responsible, lacking self consiousness and self esteem.

I would try to talk with foreign parents who's kid went to the int. school, and if possible with the kids themselves, they are smarter and more open minded, better understand their own culture.

But the home situation/influence is not less important.

Edited by flyDelight

In the future your children will be the same as you...teach them well

Schools are just glorified day sitters most anywhere.

Children learn from those who really care to teach them...

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Yes in many schools that is the case. I was a boy scout leader for about 6 years and that was the reality with half the kids

Can't really say how education at an international school here would compare.

Where I come from in British Columbia Canada they would have different standard's for different schools districts. Been a while don't know if that has been sorted out yet. To top it all off it is the same in the States. In the states the literacy rate is behind about 10 other countries.

Just a rumor I had heard but a lot of the international schools with a good records are selective of who they let in.

They have a certain level a student must meet.

Mind you that is just a rumor I had heard.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

International schools cost 600.000/year and up

Most in CM do not cost that much.

Do you have fun just making up "facts"?

Friend from USA paid 600k/year for his son's int school in CM, actually his wife her son. How much they cosy following your sources? There are different levels int schools perhaps basic/premium?

Friend from USA paid 600k/year for his son's int school in CM, actually his wife her son. How much they cosy following your sources? There are different levels int schools perhaps basic/premium?

you can find information on the school websites, most quote costs

Oh I thought you know the costs.

Our child is in 10th grade (year 11) at Lanna. We pay about 220,000 baht per year. Maybe at Prem they pay the price you quoted.

Your last sentence is the answer. The teachers at international schools teach.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

OP original post edited - and replies to it

Forum Rule - 1) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I'd like to put my children into international schools in Chiangmai, but i feel like Thai people are kind of a little lazy and selfness and non-responsible(don't take me wrong, but Thai people are friendly), I'm worried if my children enrolled in Thai school(prefer in international schools), in the future, will be the same as Thai's?

Reported.

Most amusing troll education post I've read.

What is that you find amusing.

He is stating the obvious that if there are certain traits he doesn't want his child to have then he right to look for an alternative to a system that encourages such traits.

No fail system...does not encourage a work ethic or accountability from either the student or the teacher.

The use of the word why? Is looked upon as almost a rebellion.

I've noticed Satit CMU has their O-net scores posted on a bill-board in front of the school. I assume O-net is the standardized test they use in Thailand.

Cost of private school in the US...first one I looked at was 14000 usd per year for Catholics add 2000 for non-Catholics...and about 600 in misc. fees. They say, once you are in graduate school, it really doesn't matter, where you went to undergrad. I think it is even truer that once you are in uni, it will never matter, how much your dad (or mother's boyfriend) shelled out for private high school. The admissions officers seem to favor students from less affluent areas, as long as they meet the requirements. The schools diversify geographically, also.

It depends, if you are going to stay in Thailand for some years, or forever.

At International Schools they learn very little Thai; but fine, if you later move on to another country.

If you are planning to stay here, then bilingual schools are best, and we have Montfort and Varee.

There is only one school around here that comes even close to that figure but his number is still on the high side of reality. Probably a few in Bangkok with fees like that.

Take your pick.

There are a number of good schools offering an international education in Chiang Mai. Follow the web links to learn about the schools and contact them for further information.

American Pacific International School
Website
158/1 Moo 3 Hangdong-Samoeng Rd.,
T. Banpong,
A. Hang Dong,
Chiang Mai
Phone - 053 365303
Fax: - 053 365304
Email - [email protected]
A highly regarded American syllabus school with boarding facilities. The school also runs a kindergarten on a different site.

Chiang Mai Christian German School
Website
P.O. Box 12,
Chiang Mai 50140
Phone 053 816 624
Fax: 66 53 816270
[email protected]
A German language school offering a German syllabus. The school also has kindergarten facilities.

Chiang Mai International School
Website

13 Chetuphon Rd.,
T. Wat Ket,
A. Muang,
Chiang Mai 50000
Phone 053 242027, 053 306152
Fax: 66 53 242455
[email protected]
Established for over 50 years. CMIS is an American Christian based faith school with an American syllabus with classes running from kindergarten to Grade 12.

Grace International School
Website
178/832 M.7 Chiang Mai-Hod Rd. KM 10,
A. Hang Dong,
Chiang Mai 50230
Phone 053 442 185
Fax: 053 442 189
[email protected]
An American syllabus school with a strong emphasis on the Christian faith.

Lanna International School
Website

300 Moo 1,
Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Rd.,
T. Mae Hia,
A. Muang,
Chiang Mai 50100
Phone 053 806 231or 806230
Fax: 271159
The only school in Chiang Mai following the British curriculum. Has kindergarten facilities.

Nakorn Payap International School
Website
240 Moo 6, T.San Phi Sua, A.Muang
Chiang Mai, 50300, Thailand
Tel. (66)-053-266-301
Fax. (66)-053-266-308
[email protected]
An American syllabus school

Prem Tinsulanonda International School
Website
234 Moo 3,
T. Huay Sai,
A. Mae Rim,
Chiang Mai 50180
Phone 053 301500
[email protected]
Widely acknowledged as the best internatonal school in Chiang Mai and one of the best in Thailand. Prem Tinsualonda offer an education from kindergarten to high school culiminating in the highly regarded International Baccalaureate. The school has excellent facilities.

I'll vote for LIST. Good value, well run school. I'll forgive them for switching to British Curriculum, while congratulating them on washing their hands of the Core Curriculum fiasco that continues on, in the US.

Edited by bangmai

Be sure the school you choose has international accreditation and that your children will be able to go to University or College in the country you want to send them later in life.

It depends on what you call an international school. I have friends with kids in school in Pattaya with many different nationalities and some foreign teachers from places like The Philippines. I do not class this as an international school.
The real international schools are usually affiliated with a school or college overseas. Even they only have a certain % of their teachers qualified to teach in say the UK, USA, Australia etc.

As to what you get for your money. I believe that in most cases you get an educated person with a Thai mentality and outlook as that is the environment they grow up in.

Personally I moved back to the UK to educate my kids as I wanted then to have the same beliefs, ethics and attitude that I grew up with as I think that is more important than which books you learn from. I don't think it is possible to give them that when growing up in a place with a very different and strong culture like Thailand.

I'd like to put my children into international schools in Chiangmai, DELETED (don't take me wrong, but Thai people are friendly), I'm worried if my children enrolled in Thai school(prefer in international schools), in the future, will be the same DELETED

Yet I assume you are married to a Thai woman and your kids are Thais...

As for schools, like in most countries in the world, there are some better than others. You have to "shop around" and see which suits your child best. As someone already mentioned above, lots of what the kids learn come from home.

as for laziness - again, in any culture you'd find some lazy and some hard working and motivated people. And again - this mostly comes from what they see at home

Edited to add: You can always home school your kids. I know of many families in CM area that do that.

Edited by LukKrueng

Be sure the school you choose has international accreditation and that your children will be able to go to University or College in the country you want to send them later in life.

There are many Thai people that have studied in Thai school and go for higher education in Universities overseas

Well first of all many of these so called "international schools" are nothing but a money pit for the owners,hieing off the street expats that can "UTTER" English. A university degree does not make one a teacher. Normally one could say that "you get what you pay for" but now days here in Thailand a parent will still pay out of the nose for crap.A student finishing high school here ,I doubt that he or she could pass a forth grade test at home.,,,So the difference is NIGHT and Day.

Edited by sanukjim

"School are glorified sitters" Where in the hell did you go to school at ? Unless you are trained and have a certifect for home schooling you are not qualified to teach your young ones at home.Granted most of the" so called international i international schools" are crap Their are a few very good ones.With your attitude about schools ,you must have got nothing out of school.A lot of it is YOU not the schools.

If you can afford it, international school is the way to go. If not you better be prepare to assist your kids with their learning if you want them to even be average among other kids who went to an international school. I've had many friends who transfer from a Thai school in middle / high school to an international school, most are not able to keep up with their peers.

Students who graduate from a Thai school and attend a western college, many tend to struggle. They are not use to the work load or critical thinking involved. Not saying there are no bright students, students who usually can get into the top 5 Thai universities through examinations usually fare pretty well.

"School are glorified sitters" Where in the hell did you go to school at ? Unless you are trained and have a certifect for home schooling you are not qualified to teach your young ones at home.Granted most of the" so called international i international schools" are crap Their are a few very good ones.With your attitude about schools ,you must have got nothing out of school.A lot of it is YOU not the schools.

I don't have a teaching certificate, but I feel I am better prepared to teach my kids the necessary things for the real world and the workforce than the teachers at a typical school. And those things that I am not comfortable with teaching I could seek out supplementary help with.

I absolutely agree. Most of my time as a parent is spent undoing the damage done at the local part-state-funded junior school my eight year old daughter attends. It is a fun place and the teaching staff are nice. But as for getting an education. . .

I do quite a bit of homeschooling with her, particularly during holidays, using material bought locally plus paid-for and free stuff available through the Internet.My primary motivation is to prevent the system crushing her spontaneity and creativity and turning her into another little conformist cog unable to think for herself - let alone outside the box.

I would take her out of the system completely if I had the all-round ability in all subjects that matter and thought she could acquire the basic social skills one invariably picks up during schooldays some other way.

From what i have gathered from friends who have tried them, International schools here are generally poor value for money. Their one tangible benefit appears to be that at most of them the majority of lessons are taught in English. But you don't need to pay through the nose to make your child bi-lingual.

My youngest daughter is already fluent in English as well as Thai, as is her elder sister (my stepdaughter) - partly as a result of the lessons I gave them after school and at weekends, but mainly because my Thai wife and I inssist on communicating with them at home mostly in English. Kids are great at picking up languages - and the earlier they start the easier it is.

My three stepsons, who attended local schools and later vocational training college, also have pretty good English skills considering the shorter time frame they had to learn in.Two have landed interesting jobs where being competent in the world's lingua franca as well as Thai s a fast track to promotion. The youngest has won a place at university. His younger sister, who has acquired a collection of awards in English competitions, is well on the way to following in his footsteps.

I have plenty of info for anybody is interested in part-time or full time home schooling. Just drop me a line in Messenger.

Edited by Krataiboy

From my personal experience, there are only two worthy "international" schools in Thailand.

For a North American curriculum there is ISB.

For a British curriculum there is Pattana.

Both are in Bangkok. There are really no good options in Chiang Mai other than tutoring or home schooling.

Oh I thought you know the costs.

I do.

International schools cost 600.000/year and up, can hardly be value for money I guess.

But a standard school incl. brainwashing, modified history books and teachers who can't speak English won't make the kid a highflyer. And yes also makes them non-responsible, lacking self consiousness and self esteem.

I would try to talk with foreign parents who's kid went to the int. school, and if possible with the kids themselves, they are smarter and more open minded, better understand their own culture.

But the home situation/influence is not less important.

Possibly only one International school in Chiang Mai costs about THB500,000, but the others cost between 250,000 to 350,000. Even the ones that are in the region of BHT 250 -300 K are of quite a high level, some have the British curriculum, others the American (one the German one) and others the IB, which is recognised practically worldwide.

The other alternative to International schools is the bi lingual Thai schools, where I believe that in one or two of them, the students can be prepared and sit for the Cambridge matriculation. They are slightly more reasonable in fees than the international schools.

I would suggest that you enquire with the various schools and decide after establishing the facts.