What's the difference between Thai's intl school compared to schools in home country?

jiangaq

In the future your children will be the same as you...teach them well

Schools are just glorified day sitters most anywhere.

Children learn from those who really care to teach them...

"School are glorified sitters" Where in the hell did you go to school at ? Unless you are trained and have a certifect for home schooling you are not qualified to teach your young ones at home.Granted most of the" so called international i international schools" are crap Their are a few very good ones.With your attitude about schools ,you must have got nothing out of school.A lot of it is YOU not the schools.

555.... Where did I go to school? Well without stating the name it was a US school & I attended my final 6 years there

To enter this school you had to take a placement test & a personal interview...Out of 3700 applicants for the year I was attempting to join they accepted 50

of which I was one....So I guess I qualified ok

Your post is a contradiction ...On the one hand you berate me for saying the schools are "glorified sitters" & in the next breath you say...

Granted most of the" so called international i international schools" are crap

Anyway.... I would say I did fine in school ....but what I learned myself outside of school allowed me to make enough money in my life to retire fairly early (before 50) I did not

gain that ability in the well placed school I attended ...and I will also add.. that well placed school churned out many kids that were dumb as stumps too wink.png

So yes I will agree with your final statement of "A lot of it is me not the schools" Then again isn't that basically what my original post said?

Edited by mania

From my personal experience, there are only two worthy "international" schools in Thailand.

For a North American curriculum there is ISB.

For a British curriculum there is Pattana.

Both are in Bangkok. There are really no good options in Chiang Mai other than tutoring or home schooling.

Utter snobbish nonsense. My daughter attends Lanna International School which operates under the British system and is certified by Cambridge International. Lots of students there take the British equivalent of advanced placement and have to face standardized tests to pass. And they do pass. In droves. Moreover, you might consider that at least 95% of the cases, one of the parents of the children attending school is going to be a farang. They don't have the same attitude of acquiescence to school authority as Thai parents do. So they're not going to stand for an inferior education. We have frequent conferences with the teachers. My daughter, who is in tenth grade, is taking math that's at a higher level than I took at her age and I attended a good high school in a prosperous suburb in the USA. The same goes for her science and history courses. The English courses are comparable. And I"m sure Lanna is not unique in Chiang Mai. The same factors that make for it to be a good school also go for lots of other schools here. The only international schools I would avoid is where most of the kids are not fluent and correct speakers of English. My daughter's classmates chatter away in it.

Mania, I found his post to be contradictory as well.

I think in today's world it is important to be fairly well rounded, but to also be exceptional at one thing. I think it is important to teach a child how to excel at one thing in particular, rather than to be mediocre at a lot of things. Strive to be excellent at writing, math, programming, science, etc.. Pick something and focus on one thing, because it teaches you how much time, effort and discipline it takes to actually achieve something.

As to what you get for your money. I believe that in most cases you get an educated person with a Thai mentality and outlook as that is the environment they grow up in.

Personally I moved back to the UK to educate my kids as I wanted then to have the same beliefs, ethics and attitude that I grew up with as I think that is more important than which books you learn from. I don't think it is possible to give them that when growing up in a place with a very different and strong culture like Thailand.

Sorry, but no. In fact, one of the problems kids who attend international schools encounter is that Thais often think they're disrespectful in their behavior towards adults. This is especially the case where both parents are Farangs. But the kids at my daughter's school pretty much share the attitudes and behavior of kids in the USA and the UK.

International schools cost 600.000/year and up

Most in CM do not cost that much.

Do you have fun just making up "facts"?

Friend from USA paid 600k/year for his son's int school in CM, actually his wife her son. How much they cosy following your sources? There are different levels int schools perhaps basic/premium?

600K/year sounds like the last couple of years at Prem, the most expensive CM school. So this figure is probably pretty close to an upper limit.

Friend from USA paid 600k/year for his son's int school in CM, actually his wife her son. How much they cosy following your sources? There are different levels int schools perhaps basic/premium?

Edited by saroq

To my knowledge the highest fees paid at any international school in CM is 340,000 baht a year. This may be different for boarding at Prem but at 600,000 they'd be facing stiff competition from a lot of other boarding schools in Thailand and other countries.

To answer the OPs question. Good international schools provide a curriculum that seeks to educate the child so that they have essential knowledge and skills but more importantly so that they are critical thinkers and able to learn for themselves. If you don't want your children to spend their days doing pointless, mindless rote learning based classes then you should investigate international schools. While outcomes do depend on the quality of the teaching staff they are also equally dependent on the individual child and the family they come from.

In the future your children will be the same as you...teach them well

Schools are just glorified day sitters most anywhere.

Children learn from those who really care to teach them...

"School are glorified sitters" Where in the hell did you go to school at ? Unless you are trained and have a certifect for home schooling you are not qualified to teach your young ones at home.Granted most of the" so called international i international schools" are crap Their are a few very good ones.With your attitude about schools ,you must have got nothing out of school.A lot of it is YOU not the schools.

I don't have a teaching certificate, but I feel I am better prepared to teach my kids the necessary things for the real world and the workforce than the teachers at a typical school. And those things that I am not comfortable with teaching I could seek out supplementary help with.

You are comparing yourself to the average Thai school are you not.If you mean to compare your self to Romrudi or several very good International schools ( not the ones hiring expats just because they can utter English then you have a few screws.

There is no doubt our daughter, now in IB 13, has benefitted from her int'l school (Regent's in Bangkok). This is principally due to the fact classes are tiny, teachers are sourced abroad, and all staff are fully caring and understand. In short, what real teaching is about.

However, she finished year 8 in Thai curriculum so she already had a fine background in language and culture.

A good parent can develop their child's critical thinking to a great degree at home. It begins by asking them what they think and why. Yesterday i asked my near three year old if she thought she could walk to the moon. She said "too far." The very great majority if good education can be delivered at home by sensible, thoughtful and caring parents. Any school is an add on, international or otherwise.