transport from Chiang Mai city to airport

Asiantravel

I have wondered for a long time why there is no alternative transport from the old city TO the airport other than hiring an entire red songtheaw (even when you are just one person )or a tuk tuk?

In both cases it works out at no less than 150 baht and can be up to 200 baht.

And yet a minivan shuttle bus service is able to take people FROM the airport to the city for as little as 40 baht.blink.png I can’t understand why they couldn’t offer a similar service back to the airport even if it was offered only on the basis of one every hour?

is this just yet another example the protectionist policies of the red songthaew Mafia ?bah.gif

Today I saw a white bus with the words “ city to airport “ passing near McDonald’s without a single passenger on board

but when I asked around about the frequency and details of this bus service no one knew. Obviously they are trying to keep it as Chiang Mai’s best kept secret.giggle.gif

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-airport-shuttle-bus-will-get-you-to-many-locations-for-only-40-baht/

post-149848-0-92206100-1451980790_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

The yellow songtaews that park at CM Gate, kind of behind 7-11, run frequently, and will take you to AP Plaza intersection for 10 THB. A lovely 800 m walk to the terminal, if you are traveling light. You could also catch one of the many reds from the corner for 20 THB. I think you could get a tuk-tuk or a red for 100 from Moon Mueang....especially from 6am to 7 pm. I've done it for 60 before. later evening hours are always more challenging, but I wouldn't pay TT more than 100, because a metered taxi willbe about a 100, if you wisely make them use the meter.

The yellow songtaews that park at CM Gate, kind of behind 7-11, run frequently, and will take you to AP Plaza intersection for 10 THB. A lovely 800 m walk to the terminal, if you are traveling light. You could also catch one of the many reds from the corner for 20 THB. I think you could get a tuk-tuk or a red for 100 from Moon Mueang....especially from 6am to 7 pm. I've done it for 60 before. later evening hours are always more challenging, but I wouldn't pay TT more than 100, because a metered taxi willbe about a 100, if you wisely make them use the meter.

That’s great feedback and information thank you.wai2.gif

I stay very near Chang Pheuk bus station (bus station #1 ) where the place is literally overflowing with those yellow songthaews. Do you know if any of those go on a similar route from there to the one you mention to airport Plaza?

(The reds all insist that its no less than 150 baht from that bus station. bah.gif )

Of course 150 baht isn’t a lot but I just don’t like being held to ransom by these guys and I will go out of my way to avoid it.

You can actually call a real taxi too. Or catch one at KSK. 150 thb from KSK to the airport.

I think most people would be able to judge from my post that I am querying why there is no public transport option rather than being forced to take private hire of any kind? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Ask the yellow if the go to Hang Dong...that will indicate they run the same route. Just push the button at AP Plaza. Also, you will be amazed at how much more reasonable reds are as you get a few hundred meters from the bus stations away from their crony pack. Same with arcade. I've been avoiding the taxi-meter stand at DM for 12 years.....pedestrian walkway to the expressway...saves stand fee and wait....or I just jump on a van for 20-25 thb or bus for less, and they all are going to BTS.

Ask the yellow if the go to Hang Dong...that will indicate they run the same route. Just push the button at AP Plaza. Also, you will be amazed at how much more reasonable reds are as you get a few hundred meters from the bus stations away from their crony pack. Same with arcade. I've been avoiding the taxi-meter stand at DM for 12 years.....pedestrian walkway to the expressway...saves stand fee and wait....or I just jump on a van for 20-25 thb or bus for less, and they all are going to BTS.

yes thanks very much I've already established now one of the yellows departs quite regularly for AP Plaza directly from bus station #1which suits me finethumbsup.gif

by the way to DM I simply catch the train from Hua Lamphong. It's a pleasant relaxing ride with the windows open and the breeze flowing into the railway carriage. It's a bit slow but who cares and costs a grand total of 5 bahtlaugh.png

I've heard such dreadful stories about Bangkok taxi drivers I'm very happy to avoid encountering them as well as their sometimes very erratic and crazy driving.

Edited by Asiantravel

I would splurge and spend 20-25 on one of the numerous mini-busses that come down the Expressway. You just exit down the stairs, before you cross the Expessway to SRT, but it's the same covered overpass. Wait for van is less than five minutes.....I can't imagine the SRT being nearly that frequent, but if you are going to CircuspantsLand, err, I mean KSR, then you can walk from Hualumpong.....about 3-4 km, though.

Edited by bangmai

I would splurge and spend 20-25 on one of the numerous mini-busses that come down the Expressway. You just exit down the stairs, before you cross the Expessway to SRT, but it's the same covered overpass. Wait for van is less than five minutes.....I can't imagine the SRT being nearly that frequent, but if you are going to CircuspantsLand, err, I mean KSR, then you can walk from Hualumpong.....about 3-4 km, though.

SRT trains passing through DM are very frequent. Some are local trains some are long-distance trains who cares it's not a long journey. I never use minibuses because of their kamikaze style driving speeding, tailgating the vehicle in front of them while simultaneously talking on their mobile phones.

when I reach Hua Lamphong I simply walk through the underground tunnel which connects directly to the MRT station.

Sounds good, other than the occasional train delays on the last part of the journey. I went from Korat to Hualumpong, and that last stretch took two hours. Always cold beers at the train station, and even people with beers in buckets of ice on the train.

That’s great feedback and information thank you.wai2.gif

I stay very near Chang Pheuk bus station (bus station #1 ) where the place is literally overflowing with those yellow songthaews. Do you know if any of those go on a similar route from there to the one you mention to airport Plaza?

(The reds all insist that its no less than 150 baht from that bus station. bah.gif )

Of course 150 baht isn’t a lot but I just don’t like being held to ransom by these guys and I will go out of my way to avoid it.

Getting a waiting taxi of any kind at a bus station (or train station, or hotel) will give you the worst price possible.

Many of the yellows go past Airport Plaza but from Chang Phuak they go to the Big Market on the river first where you'll have to change.

To be honest it makes sense to just call an (airport) taxi so you don't have to take chances with Songthaew routes, etc. Also, even at 150 Baht.. how much does your flight cost? Or a coffee at the airport? It's not the end of the world.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Getting a waiting taxi of any kind at a bus station (or train station, or hotel) will give you the worst price possible.

Many of the yellows go past Airport Plaza but from Chang Phuak they go to the Big Market on the river first where you'll have to change.

To be honest it makes sense to just call an (airport) taxi so you don't have to take chances with Songthaew routes, etc. Also, even at 150 Baht.. how much does your flight cost? Or a coffee at the airport? It's not the end of the world.

There you go using common sense again. Sheesh.

I think most people would be able to judge from my post that I am querying why there is no public transport option rather than being forced to take private hire of any kind? rolleyes.gif

Gee, WTK, most people (cue loud sigh of disgust) would be able to judge from OP's post what he's "querying", lol. (:Eye roll, smugly convinced of own self-importance emoticon:)

If only it was true. When I call the Chiang Mai Airport Taxi, they want 300 Baht from home to aiport. I live less than 10 km away. Other companies are marginally cheaper.

The cost of my flights and of my drinks are regulated by competition. The cost of taxis to the airport are not.

Sounds good, other than the occasional train delays on the last part of the journey. I went from Korat to Hualumpong, and that last stretch took two hours. Always cold beers at the train station, and even people with beers in buckets of ice on the train.

I have used it 30 or 40 times now and there has never been any delays

There you go using common sense again. Sheesh.

Gee, WTK, most people (cue loud sigh of disgust) would be able to judge from OP's post what he's "querying", lol. (:Eye roll, smugly convinced of own self-importance emoticon:)

each to their own. If you are happy to be ripped off unnecessarily that is entirely your prerogativegiggle.gif

I have now established that there is a new dedicated government Airport bus (bus # B2 ) which starts the journey at Arcade bus station and travels to Thappae Gate directly outside McDonald's then turns into the old city and passes the Chiang Mai vocational college before turning South and exiting the old city at the Southern Gate. It then heads towards Central Airport shopping Plaza before turning into the airport itself and stopping at both the international and domestic terminals. It's a small white bus with no markings but is distinguishable because it has a bicycle rack on the front of the vehicles (see pictures in the fifth set of photos on the website below ).

This service operates every 40 minutes and is perfect for visitors who are staying near the old city. I haven't established what the fare is yet but I will do so on Friday when I catch it myself and I will post the information here.

There is actually a very good map showing all the bus stops and the exact route it travels which I obtained from one of the bus drivers when the bus stopped outside McDonald's but for some reason this map doesn't seem to be shown on their website.

http://www.cmcity.go.th/

Edited by Asiantravel

Those bus routes are somewhere in between unreliable and non-existent. There built two of those newish bus stops close to where I live (Suthep), and I have never seen a single person board a bus from the stops, in the two years that I have been up here. On paper, it looks like I could take one all the way to Arcade for 10-20 thb, but it ain't gonna happen.

Those bus routes are somewhere in between unreliable and non-existent. There built two of those newish bus stops close to where I live (Suthep), and I have never seen a single person board a bus from the stops, in the two years that I have been up here. On paper, it looks like I could take one all the way to Arcade for 10-20 thb, but it ain't gonna happen.

" Those bus routes are somewhere in between unreliable and non-existent. "

I recommend that rather than make such a sweeping and perhaps inaccurate statement you take the time to actually check it out (as I did today). I have a feeling you are confusing it with the earlier plan to use songthaews as buses on specific routes and yes you see bus route numbers all over the city but this is not the same thing at all.

This morning after stopping the first bus and talking to the driver (after which he gave me the map ) I sat and had a coffee and surfed the Internet on my mobile while I waited to check out just how reliable and punctual they are regarding their 40 minute intervals and they didn't disappoint.

I'm leaving CNX at 6am Sunday so need to be there around 4 am How much should I pay for 2 people From Ninmann Rd Should I order a taxi in the hope that they come or just wait on the side of the road for a Songteow/cab ?Will transport be a lot more because it is 4am ?

I can confirm this morning I caught the B2 airport bus outside the vocational college (close to the Thai Airways office) in the old cityand it cost me 15 baht all the way to the domestic terminal.tongue.png it actually arrived five minutes early.the service begins at 6 AM in the morning and finishes at 6 PM in the evening.

The bus is comfortable and is air-conditioned with about 22 seats and this morning it was 75% full. I'm noticing many Chinese tourists were on board and perhaps eventually as more Chinese use it they will need bigger vehicles.

I still don't understand why they don't at least paint something on the side and I bet one of the airlines would jump at the opportunity to paint their logo even if they have to pay some kind of advertising fee to the city.

Edited by Asiantravel

Considering Chiang Mai airport has no form of rail link like Seoul airport and with increasing numbers of young Chinese tourists that are travelling independently I would like to see them offer a similar kind of limousine bus service as they do in Korea.

it's very inexpensive and very comfortable and punctual.

post-149848-0-99096800-1452269121_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel