Locals defend Monkey who bit 4-year-old Russian on Pattaya Island

webfact

Locals defend Monkey who bit 4-year-old Russian on Pattaya Island

monkey-1-1.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Local residents and workers at Nuan Beach on Larn Island have defended the Monkey accused of biting the leg of a 4-year-old Russian Boy on Tuesday and claimed it was caused by the aggressive actions of the boy.

Khun Charee aged 40 is a deckchair operator on Nuan Beach and claimed the Monkeys never usually bite anyone and if unless approached the Monkeys will normally not interact with beachgoers.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220406/locals-defend-monkey-who-bit-4-year-old-russian-on-pattaya-island/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-01-06

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should remove "Khun" Charee as well and he should be sued for negligence along with the beach management. The Phuket authorities should prohibit all monkeys from roaming free in tourist areas without suitable security and protections for tourists.

What has the News come to, reporting the opinion of a deckchair operator. I use to like Ko Larn, before it got over run with people. Hope the little guy (boy) is on the mend very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daryle

They should remove "Khun" Charee as well and he should be sued for negligence along with the beach management. The Phuket authorities should prohibit all monkeys from roaming free in tourist areas without suitable security and protections for tourists.

Monkeys are wild animals and can attack at any time.

I was at a temple near Hua Hin a couple of years back and there was a large group of monkeys there. I don't really know what happened but two monkeys started fighting and suddenly nearly all the monkeys went crazy and started getting violent. Of course we left quickly and so did the stray dogs!

Let's hope Thailand never experiences anything like this:

http://abc13.com/health/african-boy-mauled-by-chimps-to-undergo-facial-surgery-in-ny/1146803/

Edited by petedk

I learned along time ago to keep well enough away from them....They carry serious diseases that transmit to humans. They are super aggressive when there are baby monkeys around. The parents should know better. These monkeys are not like the ones seen in the movies or cartoons.

While it's unfortunate and scary for the kid and I hope not too serious I really can't see the monkey just randomly attacking the boy unprovoked.

The parents are more likely to be the ones at fault allowing him to go near the monkey.

Once, many years ago, watched an idiot from UK tease a monkey in Gibralter by offering food and then pulling it away when the monkey tried to take it. He thought it was really funny until the monkey sank it's teeth into his arm. A quickly learned lesson from a monkey obviously more intelligent than the idiot teasing it.

Kid teases monkey/s. Kid hits monkey with a stick. Monkey bites kid.

Call it a lesson in life for the parents and the kid. Parents should have had the sense to prevent or stop the kid from getting in danger.

The authorities have taken the incident seriously and have announced they will redistribute the offending monkey to a non-tourist area.

<deleted> how the hell can anybody complain about the outcome. It sure isn't Thailand's fault.

They should at least have large, clearly seen signs in several languages that warn all tourists. At a minimum, the signs should be in English, Chinese and Russian as that encompasses the largest groups of tourists to visit Thailand. Oh yes, the signs should be proofread by native speakers of each language.

....The Phuket authorities should prohibit all monkeys from roaming free in tourist areas without suitable security and protections for tourists.....

Authorities should prohibit all tourists from roaming free in monkey areas.

You do know this incident happened in Pattaya, and not Phuket??

I learned along time ago to keep well enough away from them....They carry serious diseases that transmit to humans. They are super aggressive when there are baby monkeys around. The parents should know better. These monkeys are not like the ones seen in the movies or cartoons.

In my experience Russkis don't pay near as much attention to their young ones as they should. I hope the little ones alright, but I can't help imagining a 4 year old trotting off alone and pissing off the monkey somehow. I don't go near the bloody things, or monkeys!

The monkeys are natural to the area, and suggestions about relocating or otherwise disposing of them are way out of line, IMO.
The suggestion for improved warning signs is not bad, though I wonder if most four year olds would find them useful?
The greatest responsibility does rest with the parents. Don't blame monkeys for behaving like monkeys.
What if the little guy had fallen off of a rock and broken his arm? Would people be advocating for removal/fencing away all rocks? Or maybe swath the whole island in foam rubber to allow soft landings?
Kids get cut, scratched, bitten, and broken as part of their "rite of passage" to adult hood. Thankfully it did not look like a very serious wound.
As for those complaining about the macaques being "filthy animals", or whatever, the solution is simple; stay out of their habitat.

What the Phuket authorities do is unlikely to have much impact on Koh Larn which is in Pattaya bay.

It was a monkey area for thousands of years before it became a tourist area. A simple warning not to feed the animals is enough if it is heeded by the tourists. The monkeys are much more in need of and deserving of protection

Like always the human being is superior to animals, so automatically the animal is inferior and the one to blame.

Could it be that we and all these tourists are intruding the monkeys natural habitat? Or do we own the exclusive right?

Many of us are aware of the "civilised" behaviour of tourists, also Russians have a certain reputation.

Could it be that the child provoked the animal, accidentally or on purpose?

And why leave that child unattended?

Sometimes people are asking for trouble.

Hope the boy recovers soon and that he (and his parents) learnt a lesson that they will remember.

What has the News come to, reporting the opinion of a deckchair operator. I use to like Ko Larn, before it got over run with people. Hope the little guy (boy) is on the mend very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deck chair operator lives there, and sees the behavior of both the tourists and the monkeys on a daily basis. I would say he is qualified to offer a "man on the street" observation.

Unless your opinion has more to do with the fact of his Thainess, it smacks of elitism directed against his "lowly" status as a deckchair operator.

It should rather be that the Phuket authorities prohibit tourists roaming free in areas inhabited by monkeys without suitable security and protections for the monkeys. The monkeys are living there and just for comparison; How would you react if a bunch of tourists (or monkeys) would invade your home every day?

In my experience Russkis don't pay near as much attention to their young ones as they should. I hope the little ones alright, but I can't help imagining a 4 year old trotting off alone and pissing off the monkey somehow. I don't go near the bloody things, or monkeys!

You're right about that. I saw a Russian couple pushing a toddler in a stroller yesterday, kid was maybe 9 months old and his skin colour was red from too long in the sun. I reckon they would have developed into major burns overnight. I mean the kid wasn't just red, he was literally toasted.

While it's unfortunate and scary for the kid and I hope not too serious I really can't see the monkey just randomly attacking the boy unprovoked.

The parents are more likely to be the ones at fault allowing him to go near the monkey.

Once, many years ago, watched an idiot from UK tease a monkey in Gibralter by offering food and then pulling it away when the monkey tried to take it. He thought it was really funny until the monkey sank it's teeth into his arm. A quickly learned lesson from a monkey obviously more intelligent than the idiot teasing it.

on the island of Gibraltar they are APES not monkeys ... just saying ( barbary macaques )

I was attacked by monkeys once in a national park in Bali. They will attack very random, I did nothing to provoke them but I was probably getting to close .i got some nasty scars on my leg.