Locals defend Monkey who bit 4-year-old Russian on Pattaya Island

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not a fan of Russkis at all, I hope that someone took the brat to a hospital for a series of Rabies vaccines. Macaques are well known carriers of Rabies, and once the brat screams at a sight of the sea (or Coke, or anything that flows), it will be too late!

What has the News come to, reporting the opinion of a deckchair operator. I use to like Ko Larn, before it got over run with people. Hope the little guy (boy) is on the mend very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deck chair operator lives there, and sees the behavior of both the tourists and the monkeys on a daily basis. I would say he is qualified to offer a "man on the street" observation.

Unless your opinion has more to do with the fact of his Thainess, it smacks of elitism directed against his "lowly" status as a deckchair operator.

Pull your head in mate. Don't think blaming a young boy or the monkey resolves the issue. I have spent many a day on Ko Larn and its far from a nature reserve. Get off your high horse and open your eyes, this is sloppy journalism at its best! A fluff piece just like your post.

"What has the News come to, reporting the opinion of a deckchair operator".

Sorry, Daryle, but like too many TV posters you attacked with zero knowledge of the individual the reliability of the man's opinion based on his position as a "deck chair" operator, or perhaps because he is Thai. That is the sole and only point of my post. Dragging in references to who might be to blame and nature reserves is a non sequitur, in my eyes opened view

Furthermore the "man in the street" gambit has a long and accepted role in journalism. It is not a "fluff" piece.

By the way, if you have "spent many a day on Ko Larn" then you are, ipso facto, one of the "over run with people" people.

I agree 100% with "Hope the little guy (boy) is on the mend very soon." tongue.png

I have lived in Pattaya for over 15 years and I have seen the human developments on the island undermining its beauty. The human pressure on the island is unsustainable.

This piece of journalist work we are talking about is weak at best. The story has no basis in fact or opinion. My ONLY point was how piss weak the story was and no racism was inferred apart from YOU. Have a smiley day, you seem to need a pick me up.

The monkeys are natural to the area, and suggestions about relocating or otherwise disposing of them are way out of line, IMO.

The suggestion for improved warning signs is not bad, though I wonder if most four year olds would find them useful?

The greatest responsibility does rest with the parents. Don't blame monkeys for behaving like monkeys.

What if the little guy had fallen off of a rock and broken his arm? Would people be advocating for removal/fencing away all rocks? Or maybe swath the whole island in foam rubber to allow soft landings?

Kids get cut, scratched, bitten, and broken as part of their "rite of passage" to adult hood. Thankfully it did not look like a very serious wound.

As for those complaining about the macaques being "filthy animals", or whatever, the solution is simple; stay out of their habitat.

I have to take issue with "The monkeys are natural to all areas" unless they swam the 7.4 km/4.5 miles to get to Ko Larn naturally.

I have seen a HUGE monitor lizard on Koh Phai, which is 11.6 miles off the mainland, but they can swim pretty good.

Monkeys seem to be a bit less amphibious (to me anyhow).

BTW way, do you use that idea of "Dogs are natural to all areas" ideology with your local animal control office (dog catchers) if a dog bites a child back home? I don't.

If a dog bites a child in the US, that dog gets a lethal injection. If I'm around that injection is lead.

I'm no fan of a Nanny State, but we do do some things that make a lot of sense that Thai's do not do.

Edited by jaywalker

4 year old kids are a pain in the ass. Temper tantrums, 'I want, I want' all the time, Attention Deficit Disorder. Really it was the parents full responsibility to keep such a volatile little human away from monkeys, who after all, have been aggressively defending their territory for thousands of years, and should always be treated with extreme caution.

While it's unfortunate and scary for the kid and I hope not too serious I really can't see the monkey just randomly attacking the boy unprovoked.

The parents are more likely to be the ones at fault allowing him to go near the monkey.

Once, many years ago, watched an idiot from UK tease a monkey in Gibralter by offering food and then pulling it away when the monkey tried to take it. He thought it was really funny until the monkey sank it's teeth into his arm. A quickly learned lesson from a monkey obviously more intelligent than the idiot teasing it.

on the island of Gibraltar they are APES not monkeys ... just saying ( barbary macaques )

Called Barbary Apes but are in fact tail-less monkeys. Probably introduced from North Africa, not sure when. Usually friendly but as my post don't torment them they have a nasty set of teeth.

As an aside I enjoyed the movie " Monkeys in the Fog" story of Diane Fossy.

Although not a fan of Russkis at all, I hope that someone took the brat to a hospital for a series of Rabies vaccines. Macaques are well known carriers of Rabies, and once the brat screams at a sight of the sea (or Coke, or anything that flows), it will be too late!

No fan of Ruskies? Any reason for that? Looking at your avatar, any relation with "bonobo"?

While it's unfortunate and scary for the kid and I hope not too serious I really can't see the monkey just randomly attacking the boy unprovoked.

The parents are more likely to be the ones at fault allowing him to go near the monkey.

Once, many years ago, watched an idiot from UK tease a monkey in Gibralter by offering food and then pulling it away when the monkey tried to take it. He thought it was really funny until the monkey sank it's teeth into his arm. A quickly learned lesson from a monkey obviously more intelligent than the idiot teasing it.

on the island of Gibraltar they are APES not monkeys ... just saying ( barbary macaques )

Called Barbary Apes but are in fact tail-less monkeys. Probably introduced from North Africa, not sure when. Usually friendly but as my post don't torment them they have a nasty set of teeth.

As an aside I enjoyed the movie " Monkeys in the Fog" story of Diane Fossy.

Little child like that probably thought playtime with the monkey, chasing it, not so much playtime for the monkey.

Like overherebc's experience, a small stature guy here in Phuket (for whatever reason) used to antagonize two monkeys who were caged at a local elephant camp. One day when he was there they got loose and jumped him, tearing his hair, trying to rip at his balls, biting. it was a bad deal. Not going to say the goof didn't deserve it though.

I'm not a big fan of monkeys, I steer clear, seem to be a nuisance and thieves the many times I've been around them.

They should play this video on a loop on the ferry out to the island.

Thai man has a knock-down drag-out fight with a monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y7o_AgXIRg

Actually, getting near any wild animal can be dangerous as this video graphically proves, especially when you tried to take food away from them:

Edited by connda

The monkeys are natural to the area, and suggestions about relocating or otherwise disposing of them are way out of line, IMO.

The suggestion for improved warning signs is not bad, though I wonder if most four year olds would find them useful?

The greatest responsibility does rest with the parents. Don't blame monkeys for behaving like monkeys.

What if the little guy had fallen off of a rock and broken his arm? Would people be advocating for removal/fencing away all rocks? Or maybe swath the whole island in foam rubber to allow soft landings?

Kids get cut, scratched, bitten, and broken as part of their "rite of passage" to adult hood. Thankfully it did not look like a very serious wound.

As for those complaining about the macaques being "filthy animals", or whatever, the solution is simple; stay out of their habitat.

I have to take issue with "The monkeys are natural to all areas" unless they swam the 7.4 km/4.5 miles to get to Ko Larn naturally.

I have seen a HUGE monitor lizard on Koh Phai, which is 11.6 miles off the mainland, but they can swim pretty good.

Monkeys seem to be a bit less amphibious (to me anyhow).

BTW way, do you use that idea of "Dogs are natural to all areas" ideology with your local animal control office (dog catchers) if a dog bites a child back home? I don't.

If a dog bites a child in the US, that dog gets a lethal injection. If I'm around that injection is lead.

I'm no fan of a Nanny State, but we do do some things that make a lot of sense that Thai's do not do.

Take issue all you want, because I did not write "The monkeys are natural to all areas". I wrote "The monkeys are natural to the area", i.e. Koh Larn, to the extent that one of the beaches is named Monkey Beach. "Monkeys naturally inhabit the island as well as other wildlife." Quote from an article about Koh Larn.

I'm sorry, but your post is lacking several degrees of fact and logic. The macaques are resident to the island, however they may have gotten there. You anecdote about monitor lizards on some other island makes no sense in the context.

It also is not automatic that a dog gets a lethal injection in the US if it bites a child. In some jurisdictions the circumstances are considered, i.e. if the kid was beating the dog with a bat, etc.

A lead injection is the first resort of those not accustomed to much thought, in my opinion. I use it only as the last extremis.

I wonder how much the owner was charging for bananas to feed the monkey ? Maybe the kid ate the bananas and in true Thai style the monkey got jealous and bit the kid......... Very similar to my girlfriend..... but that's a different kind of monkey, it wears high heels and lipstick, but has very similar vindictive, greedy and jealous traits......and is known to bite when approached while eating..........

Edited by SupermarineS6B

What has the News come to, reporting the opinion of a deckchair operator

What has Thaivisa come to, allowing the opinion of a poster here?

Oh, yes, it's exactly the same as allowing a deckchair operator's opinion.

I hope the injured boy has learned not to hit a wild monkey with a stick in future.

They should remove "Khun" Charee as well and he should be sued for negligence along with the beach management. The Phuket authorities should prohibit all monkeys from roaming free in tourist areas without suitable security and protections for tourists.

cant quite see what the phuket authorities would have to do with a monkey in pattaya.

Ok.

Take it down the dentist and rip its teeth out.

Problem solved.

Or do the other thing !!!!!!!

Cant have aggressive things like this around kids. bah.gif

Typical, try and blame a 4 year old child. what are you lot like. bah.gif

According to 103 FM news, the 4 year old child and or parents WERE to blame as the child was attempting to hit the monkey with a stick. Eye witness statements.

Ok.

Take it down the dentist and rip its teeth out.

Problem solved.

Or do the other thing !!!!!!!

Cant have aggressive things like this around kids. bah.gif

Typical, try and blame a 4 year old child. what are you lot like. bah.gif

According to 103 FM news, the 4 year old child and or parents WERE to blame as the child was attempting to hit the monkey with a stick. Eye witness statements.

I wonder what nationality the eye witness was ?

I don't believe to many things people say in Thailand. whistling.gif

But i do believe some people will tell fibs to save face !!!!! whistling.gif

Also what was the parents doing when the little boy was attacked ?

not taking care of him for sure. bah.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Gibraltar isn't and island, but you're correct about the apes. I wouldn't let my child get near them or the monkeys.

The kid was probably running after the monkey and everyone knows any animal will defend itself

Get real not all 4 year old are well behaved

Was on a Phi Phi Island tour. When we approached Monkey beach the tour guides told everyone not to approach or feed the monkeys! Kid jumped off the boat, ran up to the nearest monkey and tried to pet it. Got himself a heckuva bite for his trouble. Bundled the kid off to Phuket while the rest of us waited on the beach for the boat to return. Could be what happened here.

They should remove "Khun" Charee as well and he should be sued for negligence along with the beach management. The Phuket authorities should prohibit all monkeys from roaming free in tourist areas without suitable security and protections for tourists.

They should arrest the monkey too, maybe then they'd learn they cant just roam around biting people willy nilly

What has the News come to, reporting the opinion of a deckchair operator

What has Thaivisa come to, allowing the opinion of a poster here?

Oh, yes, it's exactly the same as allowing a deckchair operator's opinion.

I hope the injured boy has learned not to hit a wild monkey with a stick in future.

Have to say the deckchair operator has an opinion, while your just trying to hard to be a smart ass and failing.