Preparing to retire in Thailand

autanic

An extremely good friend of man, said to me:

You have to plan your retirement, like a job. There is only so much Golf you can play, beaches to sleep on and get drunk on and shopping. He told me if your serious about doing this whole Thailand thingy, about buying a place and living here, he said you have to make a life here, something you get up for each morning and do whatever it is, you love doing.

Caveat : But be prepared unlike England and the NHS, if you get seriously ill here, it can wipe you out. That safe secure retirement isn't so safe and secure after your second triple bypass.

This is a big shout out to all those, who have retired here in the land of smiles, gives us your pearls of wisdom from the coalface.

Thanking you in advance. What would recommend, how do you live ?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody can tell you if it's the right thing for you however a non o visa is 90 days that will give you a good insight then you can get a retirement extension as long as you have all requirements again a simple process cost negligible. This will give you a year to look see properly. Health well who knows what's going to happen writing this in hospital unexpected hernia problem. There are insurances you can get BUPA ect but read the small print pre existing not covered obviously.But price for op for me didn't break the bank. As for living here I personaly love it plenty to do for me during day (have land and growing veg ect ect. It's not for everyone agreed but you have got nothing to lose in the end.

Now over to the gloom and doom merchants on here. Good luck

Here or there.....it just doesn't make much difference where you retire as for things to do. That being said the weather is great here and the people wonderful.

Some things here in Thailand are cheaper and some things are more expensive. It just depends on whats important to you. Housing is cheap, Hospital care is reasonable, western food is expensive....etc.

You choose. Here or there?????

Edited by beachproperty

Nobody can tell you if it's the right thing for you however a non o visa is 90 days that will give you a good insight then you can get a retirement extension as long as you have all requirements again a simple process cost negligible. This will give you a year to look see properly. Health well who knows what's going to happen writing this in hospital unexpected hernia problem. There are insurances you can get BUPA ect but read the small print pre existing not covered obviously.But price for op for me didn't break the bank. As for living here I personaly love it plenty to do for me during day (have land and growing veg ect ect. It's not for everyone agreed but you have got nothing to lose in the end.

Now over to the gloom and doom merchants on here. Good luck

A well balanced great post. Thank you

The level of how good your retirement will depends on your lifestyle at home.Think about how you live where you live what you enjoy and do regularly. Then see if that is available in Thailand.If it is then you can enjoy many things you like here same as at home. If you find you cannot do those things here ,ask yourself is it worth the risk of finding other things to fill your time and get enjoyment.

I will give myself as an example.

In Canada, I sailed and raced and committed for yacht races up to the international level. Cruised the west coast to Alaska and around Vancouver Island. Crabbed,shrimped ,fished of my boats. Was active on the water. Actually was on the water just about every day.I lived near my club.

In Thailand I now live away from the water and miss it. I had to change priorities. I now have a wife and family which I didnot in Canada,I prioritized. I wanted a family and wife,so I gave up the sailing etc to get it.You may have to do the same.

What is fun for a holiday gets old quickly in everyday life.If you burn bridges at retirement age life can get harsh.

All I am saying is look before you leap.

Edited by lovelomsak

The level of how good your retirement will depends on your lifestyle at home.Think about how you live where you live what you enjoy and do regularly. Then see if that is available in Thailand.If it is then you can enjoy many things you like here same as at home. If you find you cannot do those things here ,ask yourself is it worth the risk of finding other things to fill your time and get enjoyment.

I will give myself as an example.

In Canada, I sailed and raced and committed for yacht races up to the international level. Cruised the west coast to Alaska and around Vancouver Island. Crabbed,shrimped ,fished of my boats. Was active on the water. Actually was on the water just about every day.I lived near my club.

In Thailand I now live away from the water and miss it. I had to change priorities. I now have a wife and family which I didnot in Canada,I prioritized. I wanted a family and wife,so I gave up the sailing etc to get it.You may have to do the same.

What is fun for a holiday gets old quickly in everyday life.If you burn bridges at retirement age life can get harsh.

All I am saying is look before you leap.

I think you just won my "Best post of 2016 award". Thank you Sir.

I think that maybe 8 months here and four in the home country would be a good idea until at least you have began to understand just what it is like to live here full time but possibly suffering from the The "Thai rhapsody syndrome" nothing will stop you from getting over here Poste haste!

"Dont burn your bridges" is one of the best pieces of advice that you could hear at this moment in time until that is you know what you are letting yourself in for.

I certainly would have done things differently if I had not been a victim of the "Thailand Rhapsody syndrome"

You will not know you have made the right decision until after maybe two or three years living here and then even if you had made the right decision you would probably have a different point of view than the one you started with.

The other contingency is having good luck, without it in the woman of your choice or your ability to adapt and especially with your health you possibly could become one of the bad statistic so abundant on this forum

Having said that I know more success stories than I do failures but then again I keep out of the bars and that insidious atmosphere in the farang bars in the brightside.

This is because i learned a long time ago to stay away from those who with their plausible tongues and barrack room knowledge that would have me like them prisoners of a lifestyle that is doomed to end in disaster

Sports, Golf, cycling, running are well catered for here in pattaya and if you join those types of groups it amazing just how straight and clear your brain can become with all the banter, stimulation, exercise, fresh air and bonhomie that is so prevalent .

The bars on the other hand, apart from the sporting bars that is are not IMHO conducive to either good healthy lifestyles or indeed positive thinking

In other words Boredom is the main problem when you come to live over here permanently but if you have a plan to beat that boredom then you will find the time like many on here to do all those things you didn't have time to do where you came from.

Edited by n210mp

Really depends on the individual and what you want and how adaptable you are. I retired here 10 years ago when I was 58 and have not regretted a minute of my time here. But I did a lot of research both online and in country (vacationed here many times) before I made my decision to move here permanently. When I did I had a plan laid out and did not retire haphazardly.

Edited by Rdrokit

Money wont matter, facilities wont matter, its all about "attitude" If you dont have the right attitude and approach it wont matter what you have or dont have as it will all come crashing down anyway.

If you can relax, go with the flow, accept that certain things are just the way they are and learn to adapt to your environment and make necessary adjustments and compromises then you'll be just fine.

You have to "unlearn" many things, if you cant, you will be miserable and the initial excitement and anticipation will soon fade and you will become irritated, uncomfortable and moaning constantly at every opportunity.

Its been said many times "dont spend any more than you can walk away from" Best advice is RENT initially for a few years whilst you get settled and see if its for you.

I fail to see the difference retiring here or any where. You have to change your life as a great big chunk of time is now free. Look around see what you want to fill it with. You have to do that at home or in Thailand if you choose to move here. I strongly suspect many have been here before we retired here and it is not completely strange to us.

It is a personal thing but I personally will never buy a home here. I have lived here for 9 years and yet to me to buy a home would be like saying OK I am ready to die. I like to leave my options open. Perhaps another place in Thailand by the beach. Not Pattaya or Phuket. I also like Bali as does my Thai wife.

Bought several houses over the years but never thought I'm ready to die !!!!

Here have took great delight and a lot of pride in building a house which we now live in no rent to pay as my old man once told me rent money is wasted money.

Not buying property is an obvious one.

Get used to impermanence. Buying property is just an emotional crouch here and carries no financial benefits worth mentioning. No real need to and with great risks. You'll be just as happy in a rented place.

As you get older many like to solidify things with objects, property and relationships. Its part of fear of getting older and dying and does not have the safety net and protections for foreigners here like they would have as citizens in their home country.

Dont know if its intentional, but It's also a built in way of keeping more money in from foreigners then is going out. Keep your options open like you did when you were younger,

Not buying property is an obvious one.

Get used to impermanence. Buying property is just an emotional crouch here and carries no financial benefits worth mentioning. No real need to and with great risks. You'll be just as happy in a rented place.

As you get older many like to solidify things with objects, property and relationships. Its part of fear of getting older and dying and does not have the safety net and protections for foreigners here like they would have as citizens in their home country.

Dont know if its intentional, but It's also a built in way of keeping more money in from foreigners then is going out. Keep your options open like you did when you were younger,

Sorry don't agree at all

It is a personal thing but I personally will never buy a home here. I have lived here for 9 years and yet to me to buy a home would be like saying OK I am ready to die.

And you accused me of a strange post on the subject of AA !

Strange people make strange posts, and they dont come any stranger than you.

How many years have you spent in Thailand total? Why Thailand? Visiting and living in a place are two different things.... You cannot own a home, you cannot own land.

Do you speak Thai? May I suggest that you go to a Thai School, regardless of your age, could save you thousands of dollars.

Here have took great delight and a lot of pride in building a house which we now live in no rent to pay as my old man once told me rent money is wasted money.

Rent is only wasted money if you are a young man. Over 50, rent is not wasted money compared to building or buying in Thailand.

How many years have you spent in Thailand total? Why Thailand? Visiting and living in a place are two different things.... You cannot own a home, you cannot own land.

Do you speak Thai? May I suggest that you go to a Thai School, regardless of your age, could save you thousands of dollars.

Your questions are directed at whom???

Money wont matter, facilities wont matter, its all about "attitude" If you dont have the right attitude and approach it wont matter what you have or dont have as it will all come crashing down anyway.

If you can relax, go with the flow, accept that certain things are just the way they are and learn to adapt to your environment and make necessary adjustments and compromises then you'll be just fine.

You have to "unlearn" many things, if you cant, you will be miserable and the initial excitement and anticipation will soon fade and you will become irritated, uncomfortable and moaning constantly at every opportunity.

Its been said many times "dont spend any more than you can walk away from" Best advice is RENT initially for a few years whilst you get settled and see if its for you.

"Money wont matter, facilities wont matter, its all about "attitude" If you dont have the right attitude and approach it wont matter what you have or dont have as it will all come crashing down anyway."

Amen. Of course you should spend some time here getting to know Thailand before you make any major commitment, but it's probably more important to understand yourself and how realistic your expectations are. Retirement is a big event in one's life that requires some getting used to. Adding to that a shift in where you live, and all that that entails, will compound the adjustments you need to make.

Stay in Thailand for a year living life as a resident, not a tourist, and see how you react before burning the proverbial bridges or buying a home. If all you can see is the minor inconveniences and all you do is listen to other farang air their grievances, you may not be right for Thailand. Thailand is unlikely to change to suit you, so you'll need to deal with it.

For some of us Thailand is a great place to live even though we're well aware of the small annoyances. This isn't the US or UK or Oz or whatever. You need to be able to celebrate the differences, not dwell on them in a negative way.

If you're willing to cope with a slightly more onerous visa process, the Non-Imm O-A will given you more time to experience Thailand without the hassle of border crossings or the need to make financial commitments here to qualify for an extension of stay based on retirement. You would get a one year stay to begin with, only requiring 90 day reports at immigrations, and one exit/return just before the visa expires will given you another year before you need to apply for an extension of stay. During the second year you would need a re-entry permit if you want to travel out of Thailand.

A single entry non-imm O will work as well, but you will have less time to decide whether or not you want to get organized for the extension of stay application process.

Point to note

If you become non resident in the UK You cannot open a UK bank account, Take out insurance with a UK company Renew your UK driving licence and many other things that start off by asking for your UK address Best way is to tell only those you have to

Rent is only wasted money if you are a young man. Over 50, rent is not wasted money compared to building or buying in Thailand.
Ok so let's do the maths then 50 yr old average life conservative 85 so 35 yrs rent our condo in pattaya 7500pm so that's 90,000 per year x 35 yrs 3,150,000.

2 bed two bath house including fixtures and fittings just a few bht short of 500,000bht so at 85 I'm 2,650,000 in pocket so how is renting better?? Stable home no moving around rented to rented. Now before you say but I can't own it or land I have a 50 year lease on land from wife (hers as wedding gift from family. I have yellow book which means nothing as such but if things happen and we divorce ect although I wouldn't I can demand half or sell house to recover. But house is for my family here and now when I'm gone they have stability.

Edited by Sutty

Everyone is different and everyone has a different situation I feel....For me I have a Thai home near Korat, its my investment for my future Thai retirement, and for now a sanctuary for 1 or 2 trips a year to get away from all the madness in the UK....

I stay in the UK for one reason only....to save and prepare for that retirement at 55!

I do agree that you need more than a couple of vacations to Thailand to start living the dream, you do need to experience more about the culture and way of life....its not all about living like a King in Pattaya haha.... I guess that life is all about making the mistakes and learning from them....In the early days I thought I could avoid the mistakes by reading forums such as this, but in reality you get sucked into (sorry for the bad choice of phrase lol) the Thai dream and yes you do make those mistakes, whether it was just a bad night with the wrong girl, too many tequilas or buying a bar in Pattaya!

Well just booked my EVA flight for 21st Jan as cannot stomach this grey wet climate and depressive time period in the UK, will try to recharge over the 3 weeks in Thailand and then soon it will be spring-time, so at least the smiles in the UK will start to re-appear!

One last thing, a lot of the members do mention that you need an interest in Thailand as boredom will set in, and this is still an open issue in my head as I get bored in the village just sat by the pool for a week or so and do need to have a western conversation (as my Thai is nid noi) so I think networking with local westerners in a similar situation will be essential and the forum is a great source on contacts so hope I can meet any 'locals' soon for a beer and chat so feel free to PM me if you are close to the Nong Bunmak area and we can catch up ! CHEERS to all of you and hope 2016 is Chok Dee for us all!

I can mention many things, good and bad about retiring here. But one, in my opinion, it is MANDATORY.....

If you are not willing to learn the language...better retire where you can communicate better...or in your own.

Ok so let's do the maths then 50 yr old average life conservative 85 so 35 yrs rent our condo in pattaya 7500pm so that's 90,000 per year x 35 yrs 3,150,000.

2 bed two bath house including fixtures and fittings just a few bht short of 500,000bht so at 85 I'm 2,650,000 in pocket so how is renting better?? Stable home no moving around rented to rented. Now before you say but I can't own it or land I have a 50 year lease on land from wife (hers as wedding gift from family. I have yellow book which means nothing as such but if things happen and we divorce ect although I wouldn't I can demand half or sell house to recover. But house is for my family here and now when I'm gone they have stability.

Everyone is different and everyone has a different situation I feel....For me I have a Thai home near Korat, its my investment for my future Thai retirement, and for now a sanctuary for 1 or 2 trips a year to get away from all the madness in the UK....

I stay in the UK for one reason only....to save and prepare for that retirement at 55!

I do agree that you need more than a couple of vacations to Thailand to start living the dream, you do need to experience more about the culture and way of life....its not all about living like a King in Pattaya haha.... I guess that life is all about making the mistakes and learning from them....In the early days I thought I could avoid the mistakes by reading forums such as this, but in reality you get sucked into (sorry for the bad choice of phrase lol) the Thai dream and yes you do make those mistakes, whether it was just a bad night with the wrong girl, too many tequilas or buying a bar in Pattaya!

Well just booked my EVA flight for 21st Jan as cannot stomach this grey wet climate and depressive time period in the UK, will try to recharge over the 3 weeks in Thailand and then soon it will be spring-time, so at least the smiles in the UK will start to re-appear!

One last thing, a lot of the members do mention that you need an interest in Thailand as boredom will set in, and this is still an open issue in my head as I get bored in the village just sat by the pool for a week or so and do need to have a western conversation (as my Thai is nid noi) so I think networking with local westerners in a similar situation will be essential and the forum is a great source on contacts so hope I can meet any 'locals' soon for a beer and chat so feel free to PM me if you are close to the Nong Bunmak area and we can catch up ! CHEERS to all of you and hope 2016 is Chok Dee for us all!

Hope you enjoy your vacation. You should try to open a Thai bank account. Maybe 10 banks will say no; but keep trying. It will help you with credit when you do retire in a few years. Credit, I mean transferring money, buying a car etc.

not as easy as that, i think. you disregard maintenance, taxes (i don't know much about standing property charges in t), legals, insurance etc.

plus - it is not YOUR property, it belongs to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend.

some of us prefer the flexibility of renting. if i don't want to be here any more (because my neighbor is noisy or the temple prays too early) i can be somewhere else tomorrow. for a retiree perhaps something very important?

Hope you enjoy your vacation. You should try to open a Thai bank account. Maybe 10 banks will say no; but keep trying. It will help you with credit when you do retire in a few years. Credit, I mean transferring money, buying a car etc.

Opening a bank account is easy go to immigration first or second day your here get a cert of residence especially for opening bank account no problems then. I don't know how long now you have to wait for cert in my case 10 mins but belive it may have changed but should be well within the 30 exempt time

Already have Bank Account sorted, was not a problem....and have purchased the obligatory Hilux ...... 555 Cheers

not as easy as that, i think. you disregard maintenance, taxes (i don't know much about standing property charges in t), legals, insurance etc.

some of us prefer the flexibility of renting. if i don't want to be here any more (because my neighbor is noisy or the temple prays too early) i can be somewhere else tomorrow. for a retiree perhaps something very important?

Maintanance still won't come to anywhere near the saving. As you say each to there own was just pointing out its not cheaper to rent

Likewise, I have done the mathematics on my own situation regarding buying vs renting. I would have been looking to rent a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house with pool and a bit of surrounding land (we have dogs) which I estimate on Koh Samui would cost 30,000 baht monthly upwards. Having lived here for 10 years, that would have cost 3.6 million baht. If I sold the lease of the accommodation there is zero return. We (my Thai Wife) and I built and paid for our own 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house with a shared swimming pool and plantation out the back for the dogs. My Wife's Uncle owns his own construction company and built the house for us at the grand sum of 1.0 million baht - yes you saw right 1.0 million baht. If we sold this house now and bearing in mind the present market conditions, we could easily achieve a 3.0 million baht return on investment. Agreed, our circumstances are not the norm. I would also strongly encourage people to live here long enough for the "rose tinted glasses" to come off and then write down on a piece of paper the pluses and minuses of both your Country of origin and Thailand. My biggest dread for me in retirement in the UK was not having the the stimulation to "do things" and getting trapped in the house during the Winter months, with the dreaded "one eyed" monster beckoning to overcome boredom. I would very much miss the lovely Thai climate, food, people, ability to go running (with the pooch) nearly every morning, cost of living, the rich variety of restaurants which are reasonably priced, low cost of cinema tickets, the uncluttered motorways, the ability to easily go and visit one of the many Asian Countries, with little fuss a couple of times per year, sitting at a beach bar with my lovely Wife having a sun downer Yes UK does have it pluses, but I must confess most do not come that high on my richter scale and I certainly do not like the intimidating atmosphere one frequently experiences from the youth of today in the UK. Sorry Youths, I am sure you are all lovely people at heart.

Buying vs renting ....a lot of topics discussing. One thing you don't understand is that if you buy a house you are 50/50 owner with your wife (divorce laws in Thailand)....and why wouldn't you want to take care of your wife anyway. I Bought a house in Bangkok 12 years ago for 3.5 million baht ....NO taxes, Insurance, legals ....as you put it. Very little maintenance other than regular upkeep.

The rent I would have paid HAS paid the house off and Then some (30,000 baht/month for 12 years = 4,320,000 Baht)....plus the appreciation of the house which I still OWN. if I rented I would have NOTHING.

Not saying buying a house is the right idea for everybody ....BUT it was for me!