Preparing to retire in Thailand

autanic

Bought several houses over the years but never thought I'm ready to die !!!!

Here have took great delight and a lot of pride in building a house which we now live in no rent to pay as my old man once told me rent money is wasted money.

Rent is only wasted money if you are a young man. Over 50, rent is not wasted money compared to building or buying in Thailand.
Ok so let's do the maths then 50 yr old average life conservative 85 so 35 yrs rent our condo in pattaya 7500pm so that's 90,000 per year x 35 yrs 3,150,000.

2 bed two bath house including fixtures and fittings just a few bht short of 500,000bht so at 85 I'm 2,650,000 in pocket so how is renting better?? Stable home no moving around rented to rented. Now before you say but I can't own it or land I have a 50 year lease on land from wife (hers as wedding gift from family. I have yellow book which means nothing as such but if things happen and we divorce ect although I wouldn't I can demand half or sell house to recover. But house is for my family here and now when I'm gone they have stability.

500,000 baht for a 2 bed , 2 bath house. Is that for real?

Totally for real just short of that but rounded it up I sourced all materials and project managed the whole build as well as doing all plumbing and electric. Once you factor in the outside area plants trees concrete drive ect 540,000 all done.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent is only wasted money if you are a young man. Over 50, rent is not wasted money compared to building or buying in Thailand.

Ok so let's do the maths then 50 yr old average life conservative 85 so 35 yrs rent our condo in pattaya 7500pm so that's 90,000 per year x 35 yrs 3,150,000.

2 bed two bath house including fixtures and fittings just a few bht short of 500,000bht so at 85 I'm 2,650,000 in pocket so how is renting better?? Stable home no moving around rented to rented. Now before you say but I can't own it or land I have a 50 year lease on land from wife (hers as wedding gift from family. I have yellow book which means nothing as such but if things happen and we divorce ect although I wouldn't I can demand half or sell house to recover. But house is for my family here and now when I'm gone they have stability.

Great thundering balls of fire, why do posters on TV always assume a farang has to live in a condo? A room in a nice Thai apartment block in Pattaya cost me 5,000 a month, and where I live now can get one for 2-3 thousand.

Anyway, not everyone wants to stay in the same place rest of their life, ESPECIALLY when retired.

What are you going to do if they set up a rock grinding factory next door- you know you won't get it stopped TiT.

Let's say he buys in Pattaya, meets a nice girl and goes to live in the village- can't sell the place as no buyers now and can't rent at a decent price as hundreds of condos/ houses on the market. Where's your calculations now?

BTW most men retire at 65, so that's only 20 years not 35 years

To answer your comments I don't presume I used my situation I rented a condo 7500pm (My choice) I am 55 yrs old and retired that's the age you can retire here (my choice) so 35 yrs in my case. I didn't buy I built not in pattaya in Khon Kaen. No chance of factories next door I bought land around house. So as you say don't presume until you have the facts thankyou

Sorry, but my reply wasn't specifically about you, which is why I said why do posters on TV . You aren't the first and you won't be the last to apparently assume all farangs want to live in a condo or a house. If that's not what you meant, apologies.

So my reply applies to the many cases where resident do aquire an all night karaoke next door.

BTW, rock grinding factories pollute the air for miles and I assume you haven't bought that much land around the house. Just a mo. Are you a Thai citizen, because if you aint you are not buying any land, and it's illegal to buy it in your wife's name.

Thank you for your corrections on post firstly it is not illegal for Thais to buy land and then lease it to me certainly not illegal for my wife to buy land using her own money. Have you got a thing about rock grinding factories!!!!! I am 100%sure the afore mentioned factories won't be appearing here.

I

I assume you mean Western Logic. Thais have their logic.

If you've worked out what Thai logic is, please publish on this thread. Not many falangs have your understanding.

Example:

( Thai GF watching TV )

"Look, Air Asia has flights for 599 baht"

Myself:

"Where to?"

Thai GF

" I don't know. Why does that matter?" cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just remember when you get your UK pension it is not updated every year,better to keep your UK address that if you are going back now and again,boredom is the main thing here,and drinking more than you ever have in the UK,i have lived here 7 years and no you do not have to learn thai,if you have a good girlfriend she will do every thing for you,bit of advice find one which talks English so much easier, renting is very cheap up north i live in Phayao and i pay 4000 BHT for a 2 bedroom house,now in Bangkok with all the smog you would pay 15.000 BHT a month for the same thing,and also buying things up here is 1/2 a cheap than Pattaya or Bangkok. It is very cheap to run a car or a bike here but car prices are very high to buy new.To live here is relaxing away from all the politics of London,internet around Thailand is the same every where many to choose from i have bb which is about 11 pound a month,your water will cost you about 50 pence a month,empty the dustbin once a week is about 20 pence,electric about 20 quid a month,to have your bottle filled with gas is about 7 pound but lasts a long time.

Hi,

my wife and I went to Phayao last year as she thought she might be moving there for work. I thought it a very nice place and wish that Pattaya has as nice a walkway as you do on the lakeside. Also liked all the restaurants along the lakeshore. However doesn't seem to be much to do other than going for walks on the walkway.

Do they have English language tv there?

Great thundering balls of fire, why do posters on TV always assume a farang has to live in a condo? A room in a nice Thai apartment block in Pattaya cost me 5,000 a month, and where I live now can get one for 2-3 thousand.

Anyway, not everyone wants to stay in the same place rest of their life, ESPECIALLY when retired.

What are you going to do if they set up a rock grinding factory next door- you know you won't get it stopped TiT.

Let's say he buys in Pattaya, meets a nice girl and goes to live in the village- can't sell the place as no buyers now and can't rent at a decent price as hundreds of condos/ houses on the market. Where's your calculations now?

To answer your comments I don't presume I used my situation I rented a condo 7500pm (My choice) I am 55 yrs old and retired that's the age you can retire here (my choice) so 35 yrs in my case. I didn't buy I built not in pattaya in Khon Kaen. No chance of factories next door I bought land around house. So as you say don't presume until you have the facts thankyou

Sorry, but my reply wasn't specifically about you, which is why I said why do posters on TV . You aren't the first and you won't be the last to apparently assume all farangs want to live in a condo or a house. If that's not what you meant, apologies.

So my reply applies to the many cases where resident do aquire an all night karaoke next door.

BTW, rock grinding factories pollute the air for miles and I assume you haven't bought that much land around the house. Just a mo. Are you a Thai citizen, because if you aint you are not buying any land, and it's illegal to buy it in your wife's name.

Thank you for your corrections on post firstly it is not illegal for Thais to buy land and then lease it to me certainly not illegal for my wife to buy land using her own money. Have you got a thing about rock grinding factories!!!!! I am 100%sure the afore mentioned factories won't be appearing here.

You did say that YOU had bought the land!!!!!

There was a big fuss in Rayong some years back when a rock grinding factory set up shop near a residential area. It's a good example of what can happen and why I don't recommend buying.

Good try, but fail.

I rented a cheap place in Pattaya because I liked the area we lived in, and it was a nice room, nice landlady. My wife and she became friends.

I had no desire to live in a condo with a load of other farangs in a little farang bubble. Could have afforded it no problem.

I don't live in a rented room now. Haven't for 3 years.

Ahhhh.....so you have bought a place. Going against your Adviceblink.png

Gotta get your story straight!whistling.gif

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. We live in my wife's house. She owned it long before I met her. It isn't in Pattaya so I rented a place there.

Here have took great delight and a lot of pride in building a house which we now live in no rent to pay as my old man once told me rent money is wasted money.

Totally disagree. When you're young you're more likely to move around, more mobile lifestyle, just as in the West. As you age you become 'been there done that' and want a plot of your own you can customise to your own tastes. You don't want to be forever wondering if the landlord/lady will toss you out on a whim because he/she's found a more lucrative tenant.

And it may be news to you, but people can and do die at any age. Immortality is not the preserve of the young.

Methinks someone has forgotten the Thai factor. Old farang men marry young Thai women, ergo they will be moving around and not staying put anywhere due to Thai lady needing to work in different places. If not for that I'd still be living in Pattaya.

Good try, but fail.

I rented a cheap place in Pattaya because I liked the area we lived in, and it was a nice room, nice landlady. My wife and she became friends.

I had no desire to live in a condo with a load of other farangs in a little farang bubble. Could have afforded it no problem.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. We live in my wife's house. She owned it long before I met her. It isn't in Pattaya so I rented a place there.

Well ....good thing your "wife" ...didn't take your advice then. (I know ....she didn't know you when she bought...and good thing it was)...or you might still be living in that one room hovel in Pattaya .

Your advice is still flawed as it does not apply universally and is NOT applicable to all. Not all properties in Thailand are located next to rock grinding factories, or all night karaoke bars.whistling.gif

Unless of course, YOU'RE next to a rock grinding factory or all night karaoke bar.cheesy.gif

Edited by beachproperty

You did say that YOU had bought the land!!!!!

There was a big fuss in Rayong some years back when a rock grinding factory set up shop near a residential area. It's a good example of what can happen and why I don't recommend buying.

I usualy say me, should have said we, but when married what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers LOL

i Have been discussing this subject with a well traveled friend here are his thoughts on a retirement plan for Thailand,some things cant be done because of work/visa restrictions,save for that I hope you find it of some interest ;

Below are my thoughts and break down: Lifes rules. Approximately even split 20% each.

- Mental wellbeing. Reading , watching intelligent stimulating TV content, library, exploration, regional trips, annual home trip(s)

- Physical wellbeing: jogging (serious not hash), gym, walking, hiking (tied with exploration above), healthy eating, cooking at home, shopping from supermarket, sleep well, balanced diet (fruit v bacon).

- Self improvement: Reading , internet research, study language, mildly competitive sports, re-education

- Philanthropic activities: community service, volunteer foreign police force, youth training/guidance assistance (sports, study, welfare),

- Fun/enjoyment: golf, hash, drinking, womanizing.

A list of DO NOTs

- Dont deviate from the above

- Dont allow the balance of above to get out of proportion.

- No permanent girlfriend, at least not from local community or Thailand , importation better because out of sphere of influence.

- Do not get a job other than voluntary service

- Do not open a bar or restaurant

- In fact, do not make any investment into ANY venture however interesting or appealing.

- Do not drink and drive, ever. Always wear helmet, properly, even on hired bikes, otherwise refuse and find another.

- Always wear a condom (during sex).

- Keep friends, locals or expats, at somewhat arms length, maintain somewhat of a secure distance. No need to be afraid of being alone, which is ultimately safest.

Good try, but fail.

Well ....good thing your "wife" ...didn't take your advice then. (I know ....she didn't know you when she bought...and good thing it was)...or you might still be living in that one room hovel in Pattaya .

Your advice is still flawed as it does not apply universally and is NOT applicable to all. Not all properties in Thailand are located next to rock grinding factories, or all night karaoke bars.whistling.gif

Unless of course, YOU'RE next to a rock grinding factory or all night karaoke bar.cheesy.gif

or you might still be living in that one room hovel

beatdeadhorse.gif

Keep it up and you might be taken for a snob. It was a very nice room.

The all night karaokes where we live are across the swamp, so can only be heard if one goes outside- lucky for me.

Just remember when you get your UK pension it is not updated every year,better to keep your UK address that if you are going back now and again,boredom is the main thing here,and drinking more than you ever have in the UK,i have lived here 7 years and no you do not have to learn thai,if you have a good girlfriend she will do every thing for you,bit of advice find one which talks English so much easier, renting is very cheap up north i live in Phayao and i pay 4000 BHT for a 2 bedroom house,now in Bangkok with all the smog you would pay 15.000 BHT a month for the same thing,and also buying things up here is 1/2 a cheap than Pattaya or Bangkok. It is very cheap to run a car or a bike here but car prices are very high to buy new.To live here is relaxing away from all the politics of London,internet around Thailand is the same every where many to choose from i have bb which is about 11 pound a month,your water will cost you about 50 pence a month,empty the dustbin once a week is about 20 pence,electric about 20 quid a month,to have your bottle filled with gas is about 7 pound but lasts a long time.

Hi,

my wife and I went to Phayao last year as she thought she might be moving there for work. I thought it a very nice place and wish that Pattaya has as nice a walkway as you do on the lakeside. Also liked all the restaurants along the lakeshore. However doesn't seem to be much to do other than going for walks on the walkway.

Do they have English language tv there?

Sounds like your saving a good 200-300 usd a month living up in phraeo. Congrats.

Your old man was wrong! If you own the property you are giving up the rent that you could receive if you rented it. Any economist or accountant would accept that, but few other people will, especially if they come from the UK.

Example....Paid 3.5 million baht for a house in Bangkok 10 years ago . If paid rent at 30,000 baht (fair rental value)/month, would have nothing at the end of 10 Years.

You reckon? You think that rental yields in Thailand are up at 9% plus? More like 3% and you've then got to allow for maintenance costs.

Your old man was wrong! If you own the property you are giving up the rent that you could receive if you rented it. Any economist or accountant would accept that, but few other people will, especially if they come from the UK.

And the difference is that in the end, you have the property if you buy!

If you rent you have nothing blink.png

buying ....you are not subject to rent increases, Landlord whims, can change the property anyway you want to suit you and you get the appreciation etc...whistling.gif

But as I said before ......It's NOT for everyone

Example....Paid 3.5 million baht for a house in Bangkok 10 years ago . If paid rent at 30,000 baht (fair rental value)/month, would have nothing at the end of 10 Years.

You reckon? You think that rental yields in Thailand are up at 9% plus? More like 3% and you've then got to allow for maintenance costs.

9% a year rental yield? Yes....what makes you think that 3% is standard? Do you not think "good deals" exist? at least they did 10 years ago!

What I said is that I bought a house for 3.5 Million Baht 10 years ago. A 5 bedroom 4 Bath house. Rents at the time for comps were 30,000 baht. NOT including the rent increases over the years ....You do the math!!!!

PLUS....comparable houses are now selling for 5,000,000 baht

Just saying buying a house CAN be a good deal.......But its not for everyone...

Edited by beachproperty

buying ....you are not subject to rent increases, Landlord whims, can change the property anyway you want to suit you and you get the appreciation etc...whistling.gif

The thing that always fascinates me is that people never think there is any "prior art" - they never think that anyone has ever thought about the issues before!

Trust me. If you don't want to trust me trust the UK civil service (who prepare the annual accounts) or the IFS or the entire profession of cost and management accountants.

I haven't the time to take every Brit through Accountancy 101, but trust me - you're wrong biggrin.png

The thing that always fascinates me is that people never think there is any "prior art" - they never think that anyone has ever thought about the issues before!

Trust me. If you don't want to trust me trust the UK civil service (who prepare the annual accounts) or the IFS or the entire profession of cost and management accountants.

I haven't the time to take every Brit through Accountancy 101, but trust me - you're wrong biggrin.png

I'm NOT a "Brit"....as such I have no need to "think" like a Brit. How can I be wrong.....I have a house, paid off, No rent, and its appreciated in value.....I think its you who is WRONGblink.png

Also it might be wise the change your thinking "as this is Thailand"

Edited by beachproperty

9% a year rental yield? Yes....what makes you think that 3% is standard? Do you not think "good deals" exist? at least they did 10 years ago!

What I said is that I bought a house for 3.5 Million Baht 10 years ago. A 5 bedroom 4 Bath house. Rents at the time for comps were 30,000 baht. NOT including the rent increases over the years ....You do the math!!!!

PLUS....comparable houses are now selling for 5,000,000 baht

So in about 5 more years and the 3.5 million baht house will be needing a new roof. That's typically between 300k and 400 k baht. That's the sad thing about Thai building quality. There isn't any.

Houses that commanded 30k baht/month rent 10 years ago are up against much better quality new builds with better plumbing and electrics and generally higher standard of finishing products. Anyone renting such a place should try and hold on to whatever tenants you have for as long as they can. High rental rates on 'legacy' properties are fairly unsustainable.

Unless investing in high-end constructions, the only way to maintain a steady rental income is to sell the property before it is past its sell-by date. Houses in the 5 million baht bracket aren't high-end.

What about opportunity costs of buying. There is absolutely no economic sense to buying currently when rents are so cheap. Appreciation is very doubtful. You buy for emotional reasons here in general not as an investment, and then only condos in your own name can be classified as such.

It's more something in between. There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the renting vs. owning coin. It's not purely emotional (from my tenant's point of view) when I tell them I'll be tearing down their buildings next year to build something else.... so please move your businesses and families somewhere else. True, if you're single or live a kind of life than can readily be moved in suitcases, then renting is a lot easier and of course less binding.

How can my old man be wrong your logic us so flawed ok so I rent the house out 2 bed village location I guess 7500 tops then I have to rent somewhere to live !!!! Awaiting response

My recommendation for anyone considering retiring in Thailand would be to study Thai intensively and learn it properly, if they haven't done so already. Just based on my experiences and the people I've met in various countries I've visited is that expat retirees in other countries are more likely to speak their chosen country's language compared with expat retirees I've met in Thailand. I know many people do retire here and read and write Thai but many people I've met seem to consider it 'optional' compared with elsewhere. Maybe this is due to Thailand's permissive, 'anything-goes' attitude, I don't know.
I'd recommend people study before they come (ideal) or study intensively when they arrive. A language center I studied at actually caters to many Christian missionaries and Mormons (you sometimes see young guys in white shirts walking around in pairs). They take Thai lessons for six months straight and end up fluently preaching to Thais in Thai. I wish I'd done that, instead of having to unlearn all the wrong stuff I picked up when I first came.

My recommendation for anyone considering retiring in Thailand would be to study Thai intensively and learn it properly, if they haven't done so already. Just based on my experiences and the people I've met in various countries I've visited is that expat retirees in other countries are more likely to speak their chosen country's language compared with expat retirees I've met in Thailand. I know many people do retire here and read and write Thai but many people I've met seem to consider it 'optional' compared with elsewhere. Maybe this is due to Thailand's permissive, 'anything-goes' attitude, I don't know.

I'd recommend people study before they come (ideal) or study intensively when they arrive. A language center I studied at actually caters to many Christian missionaries and Mormons (you sometimes see young guys in white shirts walking around in pairs). They take Thai lessons for six months straight and end up fluently preaching to Thais in Thai. I wish I'd done that, instead of having to unlearn all the wrong stuff I picked up when I first came.

many people I've met seem to consider it 'optional' compared with elsewhere

As it is. I've never found it to be necessary to know more than bar Thai, as there's generally someone around that can speak English well enough. The only time I couldn't find someone to speak English and couldn't communicate with other means it wasn't that important. I live in a town with no expat population at all, except myself and perhaps one other farang.

Based on my experience, it would be a waste of time and money to pay to learn Thai, unless you have some desire to have Thai friends and converse with them in Thai.

It's more something in between. There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the renting vs. owning coin. It's not purely emotional (from my tenant's point of view) when I tell them I'll be tearing down their buildings next year to build something else.... so please move your businesses and families somewhere else. True, if you're single or live a kind of life than can readily be moved in suitcases, then renting is a lot easier and of course less binding.

People that rent don't have large furniture in LOS. They buy furniture that dismantles easily and is lightweight. It's available in any market or large shopping centre in LOS. Everything can be moved in a single trip on a pickup truck. The largest items I had to transport when moving was the refrigerator and the motorbike. That still left room on the back of the ute for a sleeping space for the worker.

How can my old man be wrong your logic us so flawed ok so I rent the house out 2 bed village location I guess 7500 tops then I have to rent somewhere to live !!!! Awaiting response

Read below or don't. There's also a second follow-up paper. I spent most of 2000-2008 trying to get people to understand basic economics. I'm not going through that again.

http://www.andrewfarlow.com/part1ukhousing.pdf

If you rent the money you would have used on a home purchase is invested in dividend producing stock.

I'm NOT a "Brit"....as such I have no need to "think" like a Brit. How can I be wrong.....I have a house, paid off, No rent, and its appreciated in value.....I think its you who is WRONGblink.png

Also it might be wise the change your thinking "as this is Thailand"

What I don't hear discussed here is the Cost of Money aka Lost Opportunity aka Opportunity Cost. When you tie that much money up for a length of time other opportunities are lost to that money.

Another term in economics is Land which is territory over which you have command. That doesn't occur for expats in Thailand.

As for opportunity cost I'll stick with income property in the US where there is a reasonable ROI (Cap Rate) and the rule of law over my clear ownership.

Congratulations for making money. When you've sold those houses, pocketed the money and repatriated it to your home country, please post back.

Cheers.