UK: MPs to debate calls to ban Donald Trump

webfact

Why can't the Republican Party come up with a better candidate than this ?

You had the sense to reject Sarah Palin, so what's gone wrong, this time ?

Trump is only one of a dozen candidates and hasn't been chosen by anyone yet as the voting hasn't even started. You hear more about him because he is good for ratings.

The party did not reject Sarah Palin, she was nominated for the VP position.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does "cutting off your nose to spite your face" enter anybody's mind here?

Ban Trump at your own risk and that doesn't even consider he just might be the next US President.

IF he is elected, the stakes for the UK are raised even more.

Go for it, I couldn't care less.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Trump Warns Britain: Ban Me and You’ll Lose $1B in Investments
By Patrick Goodenough
January 7, 2016 | 4:16 AM EST
(CNSNews.com) – Britain will lose out on more than $1 billion in planned investment in Scottish golf resorts if it bans Donald Trump from entering the country, the Republican presidential candidate’s company said on Wednesday.
It also warned that the millions of Americans who support Trump would be alienated by such a move.
The Trump Organization issued the caution after a parliamentary committee on Tuesday set a January 18 date for a House of Commons debate on the issue. A petition on the Commons website calling for Trump to be barred has drawn more than 570,700 signatures – well over the 100,000 threshold requiring a debate on a matter.

chuckd, on 08 Jan 2016 - 10:25, said:

Does "cutting off your nose to spite your face" enter anybody's mind here?

Ban Trump at your own risk and that doesn't even consider he just might be the next US President.

IF he is elected, the stakes for the UK are raised even more.

Go for it, I couldn't care less.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Trump Warns Britain: Ban Me and You’ll Lose $1B in Investments
By Patrick Goodenough
January 7, 2016 | 4:16 AM EST
(CNSNews.com) – Britain will lose out on more than $1 billion in planned investment in Scottish golf resorts if it bans Donald Trump from entering the country, the Republican presidential candidate’s company said on Wednesday.
It also warned that the millions of Americans who support Trump would be alienated by such a move.
The Trump Organization issued the caution after a parliamentary committee on Tuesday set a January 18 date for a House of Commons debate on the issue. A petition on the Commons website calling for Trump to be barred has drawn more than 570,700 signatures – well over the 100,000 threshold requiring a debate on a matter.

They are obliged to debate it in Parliament ChuckD.

It will provide a chuckle over coffee.

It will already be in file 13.

"It’s easy, as many do, to dismiss Trump as a bloviating old racist, or try and ban him as my own countrymen are currently trying to do.

(I note that nobody has signed a petition in the UK to stop known terror suspects returning from warzones in Iraq and Syria, so presumably they’re considered less dangerous than a billionaire tycoon?)

But Trump’s not the enemy here, ISIS are - and it’s very important to remember that."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3354481/PIERS-MORGAN-Donald-Trump-s-Muslim-travel-ban-dumb-laid-Obama-dumber-says-Piers-Morgan.html

Trump is only one of a dozen candidates and hasn't been chosen by anyone yet as the voting hasn't even started. You hear more about him because he is good for ratings.

Thanks for the reassurance, but I understood that he's currently way-ahead of the next nearest candidates, in polling ?

Regarding Sarah Palin, I was thinking more of the previous election-campaign.

One of my concerns is that, for a healthy democracy in the USA or anywhere else, at least two strong credible parties are a basic requirement, and as a casual/distant observer I therefore look for good candidates from both main parties, as an important sign of basic democratic good-health.

Won't DT's rhetorical attacks on Moslems or Hispanics alienate many potential voters, and impact the party's overall chances of winning, regardless of who actually wins the nomination ?

Edited by Ricardo

I would love to listen to that debate.

While they are at it, they should debate the merits of repealing the Magna Carta.

There's not much left of it.

I note that nobody has signed a petition in the UK to stop known terror suspects returning from warzones in Iraq and Syria, so presumably they’re considered less dangerous than a billionaire tycoon?

Barring occasional incompetence, the only ones allowed to return are British citizens, and they can be compelled to make an appointment if they wish to return.

Thanks for the reassurance, but I understood that he's currently way-ahead of the next nearest candidates, in polling ?

Regarding Sarah Palin, I was thinking more of the previous election-campaign.

One of my concerns is that, for a healthy democracy in the USA or anywhere else, at least two strong credible parties are a basic requirement, and as a casual/distant observer I therefore look for good candidates from both main parties, as an important sign of basic democratic good-health.

Won't DT's rhetorical attacks on Moslems or Hispanics alienate many potential voters, and impact the party's overall chances of winning, regardless of who actually wins the nomination ?

Not all Hispanics are pro-illegal immigration. Maybe a good number of them like the idea of protecting their country just like any other American.Or they are concerned about jobs like everyone else. I'm not sure if they are so blindly monolithic in their voting like blacks.

Muslims are a tiny voting block in the USA (especially out of already blue states). Trump will win many more votes than he'll lose for suggesting to put a hold on Muslim immigration.

I'm not sure how many votes will hinge on Trump's Muslim comments. Some may not approve of the them but do they really consider it worth considering in the voting booth? Over more important issues like the economy & jobs?