Netflix - streaming from outside Thailand

phetphet

Beware of "rights restrictions" showing movies and even Netflix Originals on Netflix Asia. I have just discovered that "House of Cards US" is not available in Asia region

Seems to work both ways - Thailand Netflix has better call Saul and godfather movies for example while USA Netflix does not.

But currently USA does have more shows for the moment.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I subscribed to the full package (4 TV's + Ultra HD) Definitely no 4K. It doesn't show the Ultra HD 4K icon in the program synopsis either.

Did you go into your account settings > playback settings and choose High?

Are you using a browser (Safari, Explorer or Edge on) or device that supports 1080P?

Yes, tried all that, expect the browser. I was using firefox. My device is a high end gaming PC, so no problem there. I wonder if it's the browser?

It is: http://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="IMHO" data-cid="10283767" data-time="1452222755"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283728" data-time="1452222253"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="SoiBiker" data-cid="10283695" data-time="1452221939"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283633" data-time="1452221200">There are limits to human visual acuity. Even with perfect 20:20 vision, you need to be sitting pretty close to a 49 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.I don't expect everyone to agree - people are capable of convincing themselves of all kinds of things, especially to justify a purchase. But the numbers don't lie.

You CAN see the difference, period.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="IMHO" data-cid="10283767" data-time="1452222755"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283728" data-time="1452222253"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="SoiBiker" data-cid="10283695" data-time="1452221939"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283633" data-time="1452221200">There are limits to human visual acuity. Even with perfect 20:20 vision, you need to be sitting pretty close to a 49 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.I don't expect everyone to agree - people are capable of convincing themselves of all kinds of things, especially to justify a purchase. But the numbers don't lie.

I've heard all those arguments before, but there's simply no way you can argue with what you actually see.... After almost a year with 4K now, there's no convincing me I can't see the added detail. I'm with this guy:

What's more, 4K naysayers (yes, there are some) who maintain viewers won't be able to see any differences are about to seem very foolish indeed.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-netflix-in-ultra-hd-will-ruin-tv-1241142 And he only had a baby 65" screen ;)
Like I said, I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. I guess we should just chalk it up to 'opinion vs science' and not drag the thread any further off topic.

You THINK you can.Perception is a funny thing.

I've heard all those arguments before, but there's simply no way you can argue with what you actually see.... After almost a year with 4K now, there's no convincing me I can't see the added detail. I'm with this guy:

What's more, 4K naysayers (yes, there are some) who maintain viewers won't be able to see any differences are about to seem very foolish indeed.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-netflix-in-ultra-hd-will-ruin-tv-1241142 And he only had a baby 65" screen wink.png
Like I said, I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. I guess we should just chalk it up to 'opinion vs science' and not drag the thread any further off topic.

I am all for science, and before buying a 4K display read several whitepapers on the subject. In the end, I only bought my first 4K display because it was so darn cheap (21K Baht for 49" back in early '15). I remained a total skeptic right up until I had that big "ah hah" / "what the" moment... I rubbed my eyes, walked back, walked forward, even peeked at it from around the corner, and the amazing detail was all still visible ;)

The thing is, the science doesn't tell the whole story.

As a test, being the total skeptic I used to be, I created a 2160P black PNG file, with just a single white pixel in it. I then sat my TV on the front porch, gathered as many passers by as I could, and we could all see that white pixel from over 10M away (with a 49" display). Explain that smile.png

Edited by IMHO

The thing is, the science doesn't tell the whole story. As a test, being the total skeptic I used to be, I created a 2160P black PNG file, with just a single white pixel in it. I then sat my TV on the front porch, gathered as many passers by as I could, and we could all see that white pixel from over 10M away (with a 49" display). Explain that smile.png
Which proves nothing much.Now if you'd made one with two white dots, one made up of a single pixel, the other of two, and seen who could tell them apart, that would have been a more useful test.But like I said, this is off-topic nerdism. You and science will just have to agree to disagree.

Which proves nothing much.Now if you'd made one with two white dots, one made up of a single pixel, the other of two, and seen who could tell them apart, that would have been a more useful test.But like I said, this is off-topic nerdism. You and science will just have to agree to disagree.

It's not just me. It's everyone that has a 4K display and decent 4K content. The only people that still believe in the science, which is based on the ability to read, not see, are people that haven't yet tried it for themselves smile.png

Absolutely no offence or disrespect - I was you a year ago..

Still not convinced? Go look out your window at a far away tree. See how you can make out the leaves - and the tiny little branches leading to them? Now do the math on that smile.png

From where I sit right now, I can make out leaf stems that can only be about 2-3mm diameter, on trees over 120M away.

Edited by IMHO

Anyway, to get this back on topic, I've been playing with Netflix this morning. I can comfortably get the 3000kbps 720p stream on my laptop, which seems to be the maximum in a web browser. I'm probably getting more through Chromecast, but the Netflix example short I usually use to test bandwidth seems to be one of the titles that's unavailable on the Thai service.

Some people will tell you their stereo sounded better after they bought gold-plated cables. They believe what they're saying too. Like I said, perception is a funny thing.

Based on the commonly postulated figure that a person with 20:20 vision has a visual acuity of 1/60th of a degree - at 120M away from an object, that object needs to be around 35mm in size before you'll see it.

Do the tree test. It's not true.

:)

I subscribed to the full package (4 TV's + Ultra HD) Definitely no 4K. It doesn't show the Ultra HD 4K icon in the program synopsis either.

Did you go into your account settings > playback settings and choose High?

Are you using a browser (Safari, Explorer or Edge on) or device that supports 1080P?

Yes, tried all that, expect the browser. I was using firefox. My device is a high end gaming PC, so no problem there. I wonder if it's the browser?

It is: http://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

Thanks Buddy. I'll try again later with IE.

Thailand content is lacking, third worst in the world:

http://www.finder.com/netflix-usa-vs-world-content

But with a VPN you can access the USA catalogue...

8% & 4% of whats available in Tv and movies on Netflix in the US. What a pile of junk. Problem with using a VPN netflix is it wont cast to a Television

8% & 4% of whats available in Tv and movies on Netflix in the US. What a pile of junk. Problem with using a VPN netflix is it wont cast to a Television

It will if you know how to do it. With a DNS service it's even easier.

VPN on your router. Bingo! Streaming not as good as Thailand service of course.

555 no way ... it's only a fraction what you get from your US account and it's more expensive. Now watching but buffers every minute and poor quality. Not close to hd. I think I stick to downloading.

More expensive how? Appears to be about as close to the same price as possible allowing for exchange rate variations.

BASIC STANDARD PREMIUM

$7.99 $9.99 $11.99

B280 B350 B420

I pay 7.99 for my us account ... same 2 screens/hd. Probably NF raised the prices .. but kept the same deal for existing customers.

I exited NF on my xbox one and then upon reloading the quality was hd again with no buffering.

Edited by sniffdog

Same as US prices but only 10% of whats available there. Pretty crappy

Then watch the US selection instead.
Then you have to use a vpn which cuts your speed and might hinder watching the stuff in HD.

Not if you use a decent VPN, or a DNS service. As discussed in detail in this very thread.