Handle with care: Hospital care for foreigners without travel insurance

webfact

... in the 13 years that I have been here I repeatedly see people WITH health cover who are asked for lots of money in the hospital because the insurance company will not pay. In fact I have yet to EVER hear of a case where a serious matter does not end up with the holder of a Thai medical insurance having to pay up a percentage.

In October 2011, my Thai medical insurance paid for ALL of the expenses related to my emergency appendectomy = 140,000Baht. Immediately prior to this surgery, the private hospital decided to do a ctscan. While I didn't think that the ctscan was necessary, I did not dispute their decision. The Thai insurance company did not dispute this decision either, nor did the company dispute ANY of the charges.

NOW, you HAVE HEARD of a case where a serious matter did not involve the insured having to pay anything.

I assume you were in the Penthouse Suite of the hospital ?

I am no expert on medical costs, but I am wise enough to know that 140,000 baht is WAY over the top for an appendectomy.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I collapsed in our home in Krasang , I was taken to our local hospital where they checked all my stats , then gave me a couple of injections , in a couple of hours I was fine , low blood pressure they said , on leaving the hospital I asked how much did I owe them , they said nothing , I now have a hospital card and a number , I do not expect this to happen all the time but I am very grateful for the help that I got from the Krasang (Buriram) Hospital.

I collapsed in our home in Krasang , I was taken to our local hospital where they checked all my stats , then gave me a couple of injections , in a couple of hours I was fine , low blood pressure they said , on leaving the hospital I asked how much did I owe them , they said nothing , I now have a hospital card and a number , I do not expect this to happen all the time but I am very grateful for the help that I got from the Krasang (Buriram) Hospital.

I also have a card and number, and my medical records are on file at the hospital.

Last time I went, I was wheezing badly. 2 steroid injections, 3 nebulisers and medication to take home, the bill was 123 baht. It cost me more to get there and back !

I have experience of RAM hospital from my earlier days here.

Had I gone there I can guarantee I would have been admitted overnight, seen a doctor, given the same medication, and the bill would have been over 10,000 baht.

You claim to have health insurance at 68, but what does it cover, what is excluded and what was the premium?

Frankly in short l didn't think l could get insurance at my age but my wife proved me wrong.

Before getting cover l went down with the sever form of dengue fever and it cost us 75,000 + baht, l won't be covered for that again l believe.

l have Eng copy of the plan with www.thailife.com...... my wife arranged it and l carry the blue card with me. what l know is covers for care costs in Gov hospital for 150 days up to 852,000. there is a list.

It's no claim it is fact and the annual cost is 32,000. and for me it's better than no cover at all.

Best for those interested to contact them.

You claim to have health insurance at 68, but what does it cover, what is excluded and what was the premium?

Frankly in short l didn't think l could get insurance at my age but my wife proved me wrong.

Before getting cover l went down with the sever form of dengue fever and it cost us 75,000 + baht, l won't be covered for that again l believe.

l have Eng copy of the plan with www.thailife.com...... my wife arranged it and l carry the blue card with me. what l know is covers for care costs in Gov hospital for 150 days up to 852,000. there is a list.

It's no claim it is fact and the annual cost is 32,000. and for me it's better than no cover at all.

Best for those interested to contact them.

A look at their website seems to indicate that they do life insurance with some medicare "add-ons" --- or am I missing something?

I suggest that anyone who chooses to travel without travel insurance needs to understand that this will cost them in the long run

I think you'll find that for the average purchaser it won't cost them. If it did the companies couldn't operate. Think about it.

Probably won't be long before one of the requirements for re-newing your visa based on Extension of stay due to retirement is to have Health Insurance.

You could always try telling them you're not really resident here and that the NHS takes care of all your health needs! whistling.gif

I have had private insurance for over 35 years. I switched to a Thai company a couple of years after I setteled in Thailand. Now I am with BUPA Thailand who say they will insure me for the rest of my life.

Over all those years I have made a few very minor claims, less than 10,000 baht here in Thailand. Each year the insurance bill arrives I mull over whether it's worth the premium price and even whether BUPA Thailand will reject any claim on some exclusion clause given my age. My wife tells me would I prefer to have had a big mediacl problem or have had a safe last year. I pay the premium each year.

On balance I would have likely been ahead by now by self funding and saving the premium payments and self paying a major hospital bill. But it's too late for me now ... I am deep in the insurance wormhole.

Below age 60 the odds favour the self insurance route, beyond 60 it all goes downhill fast and insurance becomes essential. I'm ahead to the tune of twelve years of premiums but that savings could evaporate very easily in the event of a major uninsured health crisis, it's all in the timing.

The topic of this post is the failure of tourists to get travel insurance when visiting Thailand costing the Thai Gov. Hospitals to provide care for them. We have all heard of foreigners over here who have been assaulted at bars and their family now asking GoFunf me ect for $$$ to get their loe one back home or cover the expenses of reconstruction of mouth (sound familiar) or facial damage. Had another guy come over for wedding came down with dengue and needed hospitlization and funds to get home. We hear the stories all the time so stupid when they could get the insurance when they booked the flites but cheap charlies try to save a buck, not a good idea. We are not taliking about expats living here and over 65 thats another deal.

I am in favor of a proposed law that would make anyone who arrives for VISIT to Thailand to prove they are covered by travel insurance and if cannot prove upon arrival pay say 1,000 to 2,000 baht which will go to Gov Hospitals to cover their expenses treating farangs without insurance.

I always took out travel insurance when traveling those that don't are stupid and that.s what the post was saying so many travelers to Thailand without travel insurance which is good for 3---9 months. If living here thats a whole other story.

The topic of this post is the failure of tourists to get travel insurance when visiting Thailand costing the Thai Gov. Hospitals to provide care for them. We have all heard of foreigners over here who have been assaulted at bars and their family now asking GoFunf me ect for $$$ to get their loe one back home or cover the expenses of reconstruction of mouth (sound familiar) or facial damage. Had another guy come over for wedding came down with dengue and needed hospitlization and funds to get home. We hear the stories all the time so stupid when they could get the insurance when they booked the flites but cheap charlies try to save a buck, not a good idea. We are not taliking about expats living here and over 65 thats another deal.

I am in favor of a proposed law that would make anyone who arrives for VISIT to Thailand to prove they are covered by travel insurance and if cannot prove upon arrival pay say 1,000 to 2,000 baht which will go to Gov Hospitals to cover their expenses treating farangs without insurance.

I always took out travel insurance when traveling those that don't are stupid and that.s what the post was saying so many travelers to Thailand without travel insurance which is good for 3---9 months. If living here thats a whole other story.

"We are not taliking about expats living here and over 65 thats another deal".

You need to read the OP again because you've missed the focus, the subject of the lead article is:

"Reports keep resurfacing of foreigners, expats and tourists alike, requiring hospital treatment despite the visitor having inadequate or no travel insurance at all".

like for education. clean air , potable water, even food ......medical care, hospital, doctors assistance and medecine should be a human right and should be free for all of us in this planet......our taxes should be employed first for these kind of vital maters.....!

coffee1.gif

How much tax have you paid into the Thai system to entitle you to this 'human right' ?

Every time you buy something!

You need to read the OP again because you've missed the focus, the subject of the lead article is:

"Reports keep resurfacing of foreigners, expats and tourists alike, requiring hospital treatment despite the visitor having inadequate or no travel insurance at all".

So if you're an expat. (LIVING here) why would you buy (or be able to buy)TRAVEL insurance? The section that you quote is poorly written.

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) wink.png

Why not man up and get some insurance ?

Let's not start that very old thread again. Insurance is not available for many older folks staying long-term.

Insurance is at the heart of the issue here.

To me a foreigner who has problems getting insurance here is not automatically entitled to free medicalit'suc

Luckily it's not up to you,but the Thai govt.I'm fine either way.

So if you're an expat. (LIVING here) why would you buy (or be able to buy)TRAVEL insurance? The section that you quote is poorly written.

You can buy travel insurance to travel around Thailand,and when you go os,as well.

I don't disagree with your premise, but I fear the floodgates would open with foreigners in need of expensive care hopping a $250 flight, paying their 1,000-2,000 baht, then presenting themselves at a government hospital for their "entitlement".

I have had private insurance for over 35 years. I switched to a Thai company a couple of years after I setteled in Thailand. Now I am with BUPA Thailand who say they will insure me for the rest of my life.

Over all those years I have made a few very minor claims, less than 10,000 baht here in Thailand. Each year the insurance bill arrives I mull over whether it's worth the premium price and even whether BUPA Thailand will reject any claim on some exclusion clause given my age. My wife tells me would I prefer to have had a big mediacl problem or have had a safe last year. I pay the premium each year.

On balance I would have likely been ahead by now by self funding and saving the premium payments and self paying a major hospital bill. But it's too late for me now ... I am deep in the insurance wormhole.

Many people treat insurance premiums as "damn it I did not have a stroke last year...what a wast of money". This thinking will always leave you questioning coverage and its worth. But the reality is your thinking should be "Thank god I still have all my assets, and I'm still healthy, but if I get sick my assets will be protected". It's all a state of mind.

Probably won't be long before one of the requirements for re-newing your visa based on Extension of stay due to retirement is to have Health Insurance.

You could always try telling them you're not really resident here and that the NHS takes care of all your health needs! whistling.gif

Why would i have to tell them that facepalm.gif

like for education. clean air , potable water, even food ......medical care, hospital, doctors assistance and medecine should be a human right and should be free for all of us in this planet......our taxes should be employed first for these kind of vital maters.....!

coffee1.gif

How much tax have you paid into the Thai system to entitle you to this 'human right' ?

Every time you buy something!

for example .....and we all expats quiet buy a lot around here.....!......but ...some think different they need to pay to be somebody....and at the end they loose house, car and wife and kip smiling like tonkeys.

Damn right a human right! As far as taxes, I paid into Medicare since it introduced and yet I cannot use anywhere except the US where the real death panels are the insurance companies. Want to try to explain why my Medicare is not good one foot outside the states? I can make a pretty good guess, it would cost the hospitals, doctors, big pharma, etc. big money because the states has the highest medical costs in the developed world but is way down on the list of care. Yea, a human right to care, not just for the rich. There should not be "for profit" medical care.

All USA expats should petition their congressmen and senators to allow Medicare/Medicaisd to cover us wherever we reside , whats the sense of paying for something and then not be able to use it if we travel or visit outside the USA.

Damn right a human right! As far as taxes, I paid into Medicare since it introduced and yet I cannot use anywhere except the US where the real death panels are the insurance companies. Want to try to explain why my Medicare is not good one foot outside the states? I can make a pretty good guess, it would cost the hospitals, doctors, big pharma, etc. big money because the states has the highest medical costs in the developed world but is way down on the list of care. Yea, a human right to care, not just for the rich. There should not be "for profit" medical care.

All USA expats should petition their congressmen and senators to allow Medicare/Medicaisd to cover us wherever we reside , whats the sense of paying for something and then not be able to use it if we travel or visit outside the USA.

You can buy evacuation/repatriation insurance so in the case of needing major care you can still be covered.

You can buy evacuation/repatriation insurance so in the case of needing major care you can still be covered.

where's the company based? Thailand or home-country?

Can we have a card to put in our passports saying that in the event of accident we want government ambulance and government hospital -- before one of the privateers gets hold of us... ?) wink.png

You want some other person to make you a card to put in your passport or do you think you should make your own card ?

Medicare is funded by taxpayers. Why should taxpayer money be spend to financially benefit foreign hospitals and doctors for those rich tourists that travel internationally?

Medicare is funded by taxpayers and being abused and given to illegal border jumpers who haven't even paid into the system. If one has paid all their life into the fund why can't we use it wherever we are ? Nothing about being a rich tourist traveling overseas rich or poor if you paid into the fund should get care.

Register with any Government Hospital and carry the card with you.

You don't get a card (at least I didn't). Also in answer to other comments. You cannot get insurance over a certain age, and if you manage

to find an insurer to cover you, it costs an absolute fortune. Too much for me I'm afraid. I was admitted to Nathon Hospital earlier this year

This is a Government run Hospital on Koh Samui. I had no insurance, and was unable to pay the full bill, so they retained my passport

until the bill was paid. I thought it was quite a lot of money until I found other quotes. The operation I had was on my knee, and I was in for

only 5 days. Considering they were a Government Hospital which I suppose is like calling them 'National Health' (Brits will understand that

similie), they were brilliant, and really looked after me.But I did pay for every treatment or pill, or x ray etc.

Archived