Where Can I Buy Pellets For My African Birds?

I've got two small bags of Pretty Bird African Select and I'm giving it to my parrots sparingly. I'm trying to feed them real food. I'm in Pattaya. Does anyone know of a source for pellets here?
What type of parrots have you got,why feed them pellets??maybe I can help with advice on natural food sources available in thailand :o Nignoy

I will glady accept your help. I have an 8 year old African Grey who I weaned and have fed him Pretty Bird African Select since weaning. He loves pellets. I rarely fed him anything else.

My Senegal is also eating the same pellet but he will eat other things. I made them eggs this morning - shell included but I'm not sure how much they ate. I gave them some fruit but they largely ignored it.

Tonight I just gave them some pellets - they both nearly ran to the side of the cage - they could smell them when I took them out of the bag.

When they are gone I'm fearful they will not eat properly.

The pellets are great for them, especially the Grey as he needs palm oil. I'll have to find that by itself - somewhere.

Try weaning them off the pellets from now on and try to get very fresh palm oil seeds.

Take notice of what Niggy tells ya..... :o

I saw yr airport post before I saw this one.

What are palm oil seeds? Better, what are they called in Thai and where would I find them? Most of the bird stores feed the birds nothing but sunflower seeds. I haven't seen a good seed mix, maybe I could make up my own.

You will need to find a shop in BKK called Birdland, cleanest petstore in BKK.

They sell a good variety of seed so you can mix your own.

Oil palm plantations are all over Thailand and your Grey will love the seeds/fruit once you get hold of some, the fruit is not sold in shops, so you will have to raid a plantation. :o

Or find a friendly grower. Shouldn't be too hard.

I haven't seen the choices of seed we have in the West.

I'm stocking up on cocky seed now to bring from Aus. :D

post-2707-1160952467_thumb.jpg post-2707-1160952514_thumb.jpg post-2707-1160952637_thumb.jpg

Plantation palms are only about 2-3m tall, not as illustrated.

Pet shop on Sukemvit townbound 2 blocks past Naklua traffic light has good parrot mix, My friends Scarlet and my Too do well on it and like it. Although he takes his Scarlet to restaurant with him and feed her off of his plate for her main meal.

Exactly where on Sukhumvhit? Pass Naklua Road on the side going towards Pattaya, not Bangkok? What kind of seed - I"m there tomorrow - do they also sell good cages? I picked up crap ones at the last minute and the doors suck.

Everything sucks - I need good food and cages. - And toys!

A good cage is hard to find, I bought 2 from the vendor by the Erawan shrine in the new area in JJ Market.

Chinese made and fair quality for 2000B each.... on a rolling stand.

You are going to have to go to BKK to get anything decent for yr birds.

Toys....... forget it!

You will have to make your own....... there is one vendor selling very expensive toys in the new area of JJ market, I saw his prices and fled the scene.... they were made in Germany.

Crazy when most toys on sale in the west are made in China.

Edited by udon

Exactly where on Sukhumvhit? Pass Naklua Road on the side going towards Pattaya, not Bangkok? What kind of seed - I"m there tomorrow - do they also sell good cages? I picked up crap ones at the last minute and the doors suck.

Everything sucks - I need good food and cages. - And toys!

Yes, side going towards Pattaya, I got my cages from pet shop on 3rd road1-2km past south Pattaya road on left side, it is both a fish and Bird store, but only feed their birds sunflower seeds, don't know crap about taking care of parrots.

On soi 3 in Jomtien there is someone who has an African Grey. Go into the soi and approximately 60 meters from beach road you will see him sitting on the left side of the soi on his perch. He appears happy and healthy and has been there as long as I can remember. In fact he's one of the reasons a friend of mine moved out of his apartment across the soi. :o

Don't know if they have an outlet in Pattiya but in Phuket and BKK there is a pet store called ShamuShamu

http://www.shamushamu.com/

It's the biggest store with the most varity of foods, toys, and accessories for dogs, cats, birds, rodents & fish.

They have tons of toys for birds. Lots of their stuff is imported. they also do their own magazine which is also a catolouge. anything that you see in ther and want they can order and get for you.

I even think they will ship what ever you need to you.

The title of the mag is "Sh@mu" It's available in various bookstores around thailand.

I noticed their page is down but try again later or call the BKK number.

I found a back door into the site (thank you google)

http://www.shamushamu.com/CoolStuff.htm

i guess they're renovating their site but you can still brows arounf the old site, they've replaced the home page/index but the rest of the site has not been removed yet. I dont' know how effectively it works or if links and images are broken but it can give you an idea of what it's about.

Contact ShamuShamu

Information Request

ติดต่อสอบถาม

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 02.212.9172

To Order

สั่งสินค้า

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 02.212.9172

Fax: 02.212.9175

By Mail: 722/31 ถ.เหนือ-ใต้ สาทร กรุงเทพฯ 10120

Address

722/31 ถ.เหนือ-ใต้ สาทร กรุงเทพฯ 10120

See Map

A good cage is hard to find, I bought 2 from the vendor by the Erawan shrine in the new area in JJ Market.

Chinese made and fair quality for 2000B each.... on a rolling stand.

You are going to have to go to BKK to get anything decent for yr birds.

Toys....... forget it!

You will have to make your own....... there is one vendor selling very expensive toys in the new area of JJ market, I saw his prices and fled the scene.... they were made in Germany.

Crazy when most toys on sale in the west are made in China.

What is the JJ market?

Do a quick google for JJ or chatuchak market and you will find all the info you need. It's one of the biggest markets in Bangkok.

"The market is only open at weekends from 07:00 to 18:00.

Chatuchak is easy to get to. Mochit BTS leads directly to Chatuchak’s entrance and it also has its own MRT station – Chatuchak."

I will glady accept your help. I have an 8 year old African Grey who I weaned and have fed him Pretty Bird African Select since weaning. He loves pellets. I rarely fed him anything else.

My Senegal is also eating the same pellet but he will eat other things. I made them eggs this morning - shell included but I'm not sure how much they ate. I gave them some fruit but they largely ignored it.

Tonight I just gave them some pellets - they both nearly ran to the side of the cage - they could smell them when I took them out of the bag.

When they are gone I'm fearful they will not eat properly.

The pellets are great for them, especially the Grey as he needs palm oil. I'll have to find that by itself - somewhere.

Weaning young birds or animals on artificial foods is making a rod for your own back!!make your own food mixture, palm or soy oil based biscuit mix( rolled or cracked oats , grated baked egg yolk , multivite,powdered eggshell or calcium and palm or soy oil andhoney mix to a dough rollout 2cms thick bake in a slow oven for 1hour allow to cool ) store the biscuit in air tight container , feed with sunflower and other mixed grains , also offer lots of palm fronds all greys love eating softwood and twigs, get used to making your own egg and biscuit mix ,remember you need to feed to breed :o Nignoy

Do a quick google for JJ or chatuchak market and you will find all the info you need. It's one of the biggest markets in Bangkok.

"The market is only open at weekends from 07:00 to 18:00.

Chatuchak is easy to get to. Mochit BTS leads directly to Chatuchak’s entrance and it also has its own MRT station – Chatuchak."

I have been to Chatuchak - why do they call it JJ?

Weaning young birds or animals on artificial foods is making a rod for your own back!!make your own food mixture, palm or soy oil based biscuit mix( rolled or cracked oats , grated baked egg yolk , multivite,powdered eggshell or calcium and palm or soy oil andhoney mix to a dough rollout 2cms thick bake in a slow oven for 1hour allow to cool ) store the biscuit in air tight container , feed with sunflower and other mixed grains , also offer lots of palm fronds all greys love eating softwood and twigs, get used to making your own egg and biscuit mix ,remember you need to feed to breed :o Nignoy

I'm going to disagree with you. Here is why: My grey's bloodwork for 8 years has been perfect eating those pellets. I gave away my blue-front amazon - he had miserable eating habits - hated pellets but would eat people food. It was hard enough getting two of them here. My friend took him - they're both happy.

The pellets have kept them healthy for years.

No more pellets. If I had them, I'd continue feeding them pellets.

Now to your recipe - I don't have an oven. I suppose I could get a toaster oven.

I found the oats at FoodLand, but what about multivite and I have no idea what a palm frond is.

JJ is the nic name Thais use for 'all' of the market.

The new area with the green roof is oficially called "JJ Plaza"

That's where you'll find the Erawan shrine, the cage vendor is about 30 ft away from the shrine.

BTW the shrine is nearly impossible to see on weekends because of the extra part time vendors and crowds.

Go on a friday if you can.

edit/ Piston, check your new messages, top right of this page.

Edited by udon

I'm going to disagree with you. Here is why: My grey's bloodwork for 8 years has been perfect eating those pellets. I gave away my blue-front amazon - he had miserable eating habits - hated pellets but would eat people food. It was hard enough getting two of them here. My friend took him - they're both happy.

The pellets have kept them healthy for years.

No more pellets. If I had them, I'd continue feeding them pellets.

Now to your recipe - I don't have an oven. I suppose I could get a toaster oven.

I found the oats at FoodLand, but what about multivite and I have no idea what a palm frond is.

Oh,sorry you dont agree with my advice, I guess you must know better!! pellets must be wonderful,in 40 years of breeding Parrots and exporting them (especially Greys and Timneh,s) have never fed a a bird a pellet, are as far as haemotology is concerned the only time blood tests are neccessary are for dna tracing and in quarantine, Palm Fronds are the young branches and Leaves.Next time you are in Singapore or Chicago visit the Zoos they both display birds that we bred before I retired :D Nignoy

Look - I can't find pellets here so it's a moot point. I didn't harm my birds by feeding them pellets - they're healthy - bloodwork always came out perfect - and they are happy.

I'm here in Pattaya and so are they. They must eat.

What are the measurements for the mixture you gave me? It is a matter of getting my grey to eat something other than pellets - he is not interested.

Grapes seem to the only thing thus far that catches his fancy.

piston,

slow down,

offer many different things as whole pieces, shredded or mixed, see what he picks out .... birds take a really long time to adjust to new things:

new environment

new air/humidity/noise/food/water/sounds

flight trauma

dont forget that acute stress is very noticable, chronic stress can last for a while and is very subtle.

stress in animals usually causes depressed appetite(biological anorexia), so u might try some people food so stir his appetite.

dogs, deer, turtles, etc, they all go thru the same thing.

i also agree with nignoy that pellets arent the best thing as this si what happens if a company suddenly stops making the pellet or changes the contents (had this happen to our animals many a time)so....

u might also try to find some real avian vitamin supplements that might even be for youngsters or female breeders, as when in stress the animal needs more of everything.

now with his broken beak, u might want to blenderize (or hand shred in a scraper type device like a carrot shredder) his food, try prepared baby foods w/fruits etc in them, think creatively. edit: forgot to add, that animals in pain ahve a sharp decrease in appetite so u might try to find out if u can use liquid human pain killers for children on your bird (nurofen, dyparone NSAI types, not sure about birds but can do for goats, donkeys and other mammals), sorry our avian vet is overseas so cant ask her. sorry one more edit: have u tried medvet or other sites than can give u dosages/meds ideas. its not difficult to buy many meds w/o prescription in thailand so this might help also.

as for toys: we always made our own, never bought anything for our large parrots... its amazing what u can make out of junk (just make sure its bird proof, no lead, tin or copper metal that can be eaten, etc)...

nignoy has zoo keeping experience; i am more a dog and caprine (goat) person but have had to deal with the parrots too.

good luck, dont knock the advice w/o trying some things first

bina /petting zoo

israel

Edited by bina

• 3 weeks later...
You will need to find a shop in BKK called Birdland, cleanest petstore in BKK.

They sell a good variety of seed so you can mix your own.

Oil palm plantations are all over Thailand and your Grey will love the seeds/fruit once you get hold of some, the fruit is not sold in shops, so you will have to raid a plantation. :o

Or find a friendly grower. Shouldn't be too hard.

I haven't seen the choices of seed we have in the West.

I'm stocking up on cocky seed now to bring from Aus. :D

post-2707-1160952467_thumb.jpg post-2707-1160952514_thumb.jpg post-2707-1160952637_thumb.jpg

Plantation palms are only about 2-3m tall, not as illustrated.

Would it be possible to PM me the exact address in Bangkok. I need to do some shopping. Tired of going to JJ.

Hi Ray.

Re: Birdland

I only went there once and traced them thru a bird poster I bought up country.

I've tried the yellow pages without success.

Suggest you try the Thai petbird mags to find an ad.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as I cannot remember the main rd they are on in BKK. :o

Hi Ray.

Re: Birdland

I only went there once and traced them thru a bird poster I bought up country.

I've tried the yellow pages without success.

Suggest you try the Thai petbird mags to find an ad.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as I cannot remember the main rd they are on in BKK. :o

No problems, I will ask around tomorrow. Should I find out more I will post it here.