Car with 4-6 Airbags in Thailand

burner2014

Hi People,

Please lets keep this thread clean and no discussing about safety things. I read some other posts here and I feel the discussion is endless everyone has another opinion to safety.

My opinion to safety is that I want to have a car with 4-6 Airbags. I just had a look at a Mazda Dealer and I was really wondered that e.g. the Mazda 2 in all variants has only 2 Airbags.

So which cars in Thailand (higher variant or extra costs is ok) have 4-6 Airbags?

Price Range: 500 - 900.000 THB , eco car maximum Mazda CX3 (but I feel that car is quite too expansive in the super high version)

Thanks for ur help!

I am sure there are still cars sold in Thailand without any airbags installed, especially in the budget version. Apparently they are not compulsory here, so the (Japanese) manufacturers save on safety features. The standard now seems to be two airbags in front and 4-6 in more expensive cars, probably priced around 1 MB and up.

I am sure there are still cars sold in Thailand without any airbags installed, especially in the budget version. Apparently they are not compulsory here, so the (Japanese) manufacturers save on safety features. The standard now seems to be two airbags in front and 4-6 in more expensive cars, probably priced around 1 MB and up.

Airbags are not mandatory under any legislation, however they are now mandatory, along with VSC, to get top marks in ASEAN NCAP, so you'll see more of them being included in base-spec cars as more people catch on to safety ratings.

My nephew in Canada has the equivalent of a Ford Wildtrack; one evening he slid of the highway after hitting black ice and rolled the pickup down an embankment, the pickup rolled at least 3 times. Apart from shock he and his 2 children just walked away from it. He swears the all those airbags saved his life. When he got the insurance cheque he bought the same model again.

The Hilux Revo I just bought has 8 air bags. I don't know about other Toyota models but would suggest that they have the equivalent. The new Fortuna would have the same as the Revo but is outside your price range.

The top-spec Revo 2.8L 4x4 6AT "G" has 2x Front (dash/steering wheel), 2x side (in the front chairs), 2x curtains (from the roof) and 1x knee airbag - that's a total of 7 smile.png

But it's only the 2.8L G grade that gets them all - the 2.4L variants, and anything lower than a G badge gets just 2 front airbags.

The cheapest Revo version with the full set-o-bags is the 2.8L 4x4 G 6MT which is 1.07M Baht.

As for the rest of the Toyota range, you can't get anything more than 2x front airbags for < 1M Baht.

Edited by IMHO

I have a Chevrolet Traiblazer LTZ 4wd 1,400,000 and only 2 airbags, sad.png so not only Japanese manufacturers behaved like bandits are opportunists with the life of their customers, General Motors too

I have a Chevrolet Traiblazer LTZ 4wd 1,400,000 and only 2 airbags, sad.png so not only Japanese manufacturers behaved like bandits are opportunists with the life of their customers, General Motors too

I wonder how many airbags a similar model of your car would have been fitted with if sold in the US...coffee1.gif

I wonder how many airbags a similar model of your car would have been fitted with if sold in the US...coffee1.gif

Probably 6...But 2 impossible! sad.png

Hi,

thanks for your answers. So what I understand is that it hopefully will change the next years as more people like safety.

What I found is the following:

750.000 (New) for Honda Jazz oder City with best equipment you get 6 Airbags.

All others what I found (ok pickups maybe have also but its too big for me) starts at around 1 Million THB to get 6 Airbags. Really different to Europe :) But yeah I have to get used to it.

Thanks also for sharing the accident story, I think Airbags can safe your life and thats why I want to pay more for 6 Airbags :)

Get a used BMW, you will be surprised how cheap second hand 5 and 3-series are now. My 523i have 10 airbags.

perhaps to buy, but very expensive to maintain

I think that is a bit of a myth. Yes, some parts are more expensive than Toyota/Honda, but I have really been surprised how low my maintenance cost have been and my Bimmer is 12 years old now.

So what I understand is that it hopefully will change the next years as more people like safety.

In this price range, don't count on it.

Ford trailblazed the <1M Baht segment with the original 1.6L Fiesta back in 2010 - the first sub 1M Baht car in Thailand to offer not only the full set of bags, but also the first with traction control and stability control. But the bags were reduced to just 2 in the 2015 minor change, after they learnt, the hard way, that the market in this price bracket just wouldn't pay for them.

In the > 1M Baht range, yes, safety features become important to the Thai buyer.

Again, Ford is setting the standard to beat in the 1M-2M range with the 2016 Ranger and Everest - top models in these have not only the full set of bags, TCS and VCS, but also with lane keeping assist, forward collision warning, rollover mitigation, roll stability control, blind spot alert, driver alert system, cross traffic alert, front and rear parking sensors, and auto high beam control... But this time around they've created models a step down without these features to satisfy buyers that won't pay the premium..

sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding airbags;

In general how hard does one need to crash to have the airbags deployed?

Do all airbags deploy in case of an accident or only the ones required, eg not the back ones if there are no passengers sitting there or not the curtains if it is a head on only crash?

What is the average cost of airbag replacement?

The thing I worry about is that if I purchase a luxury 10 airbag vehicle and in a light crash with just me inside, all airbags deploy, and I'll have to spend an extra 200,000 baht or so for the airbag replacements on top of the actual repair cost... Please enlighten me how this works.

sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding airbags;

In general how hard does one need to crash to have the airbags deployed?

Do all airbags deploy in case of an accident or only the ones required, eg not the back ones if there are no passengers sitting there or not the curtains if it is a head on only crash?

What is the average cost of airbag replacement?

The thing I worry about is that if I purchase a luxury 10 airbag vehicle and in a light crash with just me inside, all airbags deploy, and I'll have to spend an extra 200,000 baht or so for the airbag replacements on top of the actual repair cost... Please enlighten me how this works.

It's not a set speed of impact, but rather the severity of impact. Crashing into something soft/pliable at low speeds won't set them off (e.g. another car's bumper). Hit something solid at anything more than about 30-40km/hr and it's a balloon party.

No car sets them off selectively - they all go - when you see one side/curtains not deploying in crash test videos, that's because they purposely disabled them in order to get inside footage.

As with any genuine spare part, prices vary wildly. If you have 10 of them, you'd better also have 1st class insurance - and you'd better make sure they actually get replaced.

Edited by IMHO

Yes, the Koreans are just as tight as the Japanese.

So what I understand is that it hopefully will change the next years as more people like safety.

In this price range, don't count on it.

Ford trailblazed the <1M Baht segment with the original 1.6L Fiesta back in 2010 - the first sub 1M Baht car in Thailand to offer not only the full set of bags, but also the first with traction control and stability control. But the bags were reduced to just 2 in the 2015 minor change, after they learnt, the hard way, that the market in this price bracket just wouldn't pay for them.

In the > 1M Baht range, yes, safety features become important to the Thai buyer.

Again, Ford is setting the standard to beat in the 1M-2M range with the 2016 Ranger and Everest - top models in these have not only the full set of bags, TCS and VCS, but also with lane keeping assist, forward collision warning, rollover mitigation, roll stability control, blind spot alert, driver alert system, cross traffic alert, front and rear parking sensors, and auto high beam control... But this time around they've created models a step down without these features to satisfy buyers that won't pay the premium..

Thanks for the information. I am honest with you who is willing to pay 1 to 2 Million THB for a Car which is really not a high quality car ? Yes Ford is good but compared to Audi... no way.

I mean I come from the car country No 1 and I can get an amazing Audi A6 for 1.5 Million THB new ... It is another discussion (Thai Cars or the taxes are completely overpriced , therefore gasoline is cheap)

I see now that Thai People dont care that much about Airbags and they not willing to pay extra in the lower price range. And even 700.000 THB for a Honda City is completely overpriced for that kind of quality you get.

But yeah another discussion :) Thanks also for the share with the accident.

Follow Up question: Can u recommend a Type One Insurance that replace the airbags? Viriyah? Muang Thai?