Moving to Khanom for over 55's

Hello,

This is my 1st post on a topic that has probably been done to death, but I couldn't seem to find a concise answer so hope someone can helps me out or point me in the right direction.

We are both over 55, and in the process of selling 1 of our houses in France although we are both Brits. We are thinking of moving to Thailand and are a little confused about the exact process. I think we have to apply for the 1 year tourist visa 1st, get over here, then we can open a bank account and find a long term rental etc, and during that year we have to do visa runs every 90 days. When we have been here for a year we can apply for the retirement visa, where we don't have to do visa runs, but must do the 90 day document check..... hopefully I got that bit.

Requirement for the initial 1 year visa are passport form home country and 800,000 baht (we won't touch pensions until we decide long term living here works for us). now is that 800k each or is there a joint figure they accept?

Any help greatly appreciated

There is no one year tourist visa. There is a multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months.

Perhaps you are thinking of a multiple entry non immigrant O (aka non-o) visa that allows 90 day entries for a year. I don't think you would be able to get one in France and certainly not in the UK.

You may be able to get single entry non-o visa in France but not likely in the UK.

There is no requirement for you to be here a year to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

You could apply for the extension near the end of the 90 day entry if you were able to get the single entry non-o. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination to the 2 totaling 800k baht for one of you. Then the other one could get a one year extension for being the dependent of the one getting the extension based upon retirement.

If you cannot get the non-o visa you could get a single entry tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. Then when you have the financial proof you could go out to a nearby embassy or consulate and get single entry non-o visas.

• Like 2

You have a few of ways to do it, but there is no 1 year tourist visa and using a tourist visa would not be a good option. To eventually apply for a 1 year extension of stay (renewable each year) based on retirement you need to enter Thailand with a non immigrant visa or convert a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa. The former being the best option.

For you both to get non immigrant visas, that requires 800k or 65k pm income or a combination of the two, you both need to show the funds. The best option is for you to each get your own visas and eventually your own extensions of stay. However, if one of you cannot meet the financial requirements it's possible for one spouse to get an extension of stay based as a dependant of the other without the need for financial proof.

• Like 1

If you don't have a pension of 65,000 baht per month, the most important thing will be getting 800,000 baht in the bank ASAP so that when you apply for your extension based on retirement (NOT a visa,) your money will have been seasoned in a Thai bank account for two months or more. If you do have a pension of less than 65,000 per month, you can make up for the shortfall with money in a seasoned bank account using the combination method. For example, if your pension comes to 20,000 baht per month (240,000 per year,) you will need to have 560,000 in a bank account seasoned for two months. Although posters may point out that the money doesn't need to be seasoned if you are using the combination method, don't believe them. There are just too many reports of retirement extensions being denied because the money in the bank used for the combination method wasn't seasoned.

• Like 1