Two Bangkok restaurants make La Liste's Global Top 1000

Jingthing

In a city as huge as Bangkok, it just shows how truly abysmal the dining is that only two (non-Thai) restaurants barely squeeze into the list of the top 1,000 restaurants worldwide.

Bangkok has a massive number of restaurants, but 90% of the non-Thai places serve completely rubbish (inauthentic foreign food) at grossly inflated prices. If you compare Bangkok to say, Singapore or Bali in the region, you will see how many amazing world-class restaurants there are in both those places compared to Bangkok, and in Bali you can eat first-class international food from all over the world at a fraction of the cost of Bangkok. Thailand really is a cultural and culinary wasteland. I buy my food in the supermarket in Bangkok and cook my own, not to save money, but to save my tastebuds from the terrible fare served up in Bangkok restaurants.

Edited by Thainess

In a city as huge as Bangkok, it just shows how truly abysmal the dining is that only two (non-Thai) restaurants barely squeeze into the list of the top 1,000 restaurants worldwide.

Bangkok has a massive number of restaurants, but 90% of the non-Thai places serve completely rubbish (inauthentic foreign food) at grossly inflated prices. If you compare Bangkok to say, Singapore or Bali in the region, you will see how many amazing world-class restaurants there are in both those places compared to Bangkok, and in Bali you can eat first-class international food from all over the world at a fraction of the cost of Bangkok. Thailand really is a cultural and culinary wasteland. I buy my food in the supermarket in Bangkok and cook my own, not to save money, but to save my tastebuds from the terrible fare served up in Bangkok restaurants.

I totally disagree with this as there are good restaurants serving up almost every kind of food you can imagine in Bangkok.

Many very good restaurants here as most on here know very well....I can only assume you are fishing with that nonsense.

I totally disagree with this as there are good restaurants serving up almost every kind of food you can imagine in Bangkok.

Many very good restaurants here as most on here know very well....I can only assume you are fishing with that nonsense.

Agreed, there are a good number of International food restaurants serving food of the quality of any other countries top restaurants.

La liste. La schmiste.

Sadly, my budget doesn't allow for very many "top 1000" restaurants of the world very often. I'm more interested in living in places where a wide diversity of very delicious foods are available at approachable prices. Bangkok definitely makes that cut!

Yet in other lists- like the more prestigious Worlds50, Bangkok had a restaurant in the top ten (Gaggan) and managed another as the 22nd best in the world (Nahm). Which just goes to show how truly abysmal the dining is when two restaurants in Bangkok are named in the top 30 in the world. Talk about a wasteland, right?

It's almost like you look at these lists and see what you want to see and use them to reinforce your own bitter opinions about the country you find yourself in. Funny that. :)