Thai police arrest five men for selling war weapons on Facebook

webfact

Five men caught for trafficking arms through the social media

72-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Five men have been arrested by police on arms trafficking charges after they were caught selling war weapons on Facebook page and delivering the arms through postal services.

The seized arms included one M79 grenade launcher and 98 brand-new M79 grenades and other war weapons.

The arrest of the five suspects followed police capture of two youths who used their Facebook page to offer war weapons for sale. The arms were delivered through the post office in Buri Ram.

The five suspects were identified as Chatchai Duangmanee, Thanawat Wongsiricharoen, Ratthakrit Siriwitchaikorn, Suvinan Ngamsook and Supon Funkitti. Suvinai and Supon were caught by police in Lampang whine Chatchai, Thanawat and Ratthakrit were arrested in Chiang Rai.

Police declined to identify the origin of the war weapons but said they were trying to find out the purpose of securing the illegal firearms.

Ratthakrit claimed he was asked by a friend to place the order for the purchase of the arms but he didn’t know for what purpose the arms would be used.

Suvinai claimed that he was just a messenger to pick up the war weapons to be sent to Ratthakrit.

Police are still looking for the sixth suspect, Pongdanai Tawethi, who is still at large.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/video-five-men-caught-for-trafficking-arms-through-the-social-media

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-08

I am constantly amazed by the levels of stupidity amongst criminals who deal through Facebook. It's almost like the site contains an idiot magnet that attracts those with no ability to think through what they are doing.

More so I'm astonished that some, like these fools, know how to breath without a life coach behind them whispering, "in, hold 1, 2 and out"

I would say lock them up and throw away the key but with these idiots just closing the door will be enough.

I doubt they'd be able to figure out how it opens without google or a FB friend to guide them through the required process.

Edited by Bluespunk

I am constantly amazed by the levels of stupidity amongst criminals who deal through Facebook. It's almost like the site contains an idiot magnet that attracts those with no ability to think through what they are doing.

More so I'm astonished that some, like these fools, know how to breath without a life coach behind them whispering, "in, hold 1, 2 and out"

I would say lock them up and throw away the key but with these idiots just closing the door will be enough.

I doubt they'd be able to figure out how it opens without google or a FB friend to guide them through the required process.

Oh Yes ! Just imagine, " when you've completed Fig. 1 move to Fig. 2. "

" Hold On, you're going too fast ! "

I just cringe to think about the potential for 98 M79 grenades being in the postal system at one time...............sad.png

People of the red shirt mob, would snap them up in an instant, then when they are caught and arrested there will be a major outcry for their release

Also M79 Grenades have a proximity fuse and have to spin at least 16 times to arm the fuse, to enable them to explode.

Edited by FourAces

There are no such thing as an M79 grenade, however grenades M406 and M576 comes to mind, those are for use with the M79 grenande launcher. Of course there could be other grenades out there developed by the Thai army themselves, which would probably be prone to explode randomly....Just like the Chinese tear gas canisters used for crowd control a few years back, however it was disputed whether those injuries came from pinpong bombs or the tear gas canisters.

Edited by AlQaholic

I just cringe to think about the potential for 98 M79 grenades being in the postal system at one time...............sad.png

People of the red shirt mob, would snap them up in an instant, then when they are caught and arrested there will be a major outcry for their release

Also M79 Grenades have a proximity fuse and have to spin at least 16 times to arm the fuse, to enable them to explode.

Maybe, maybe not but the best friends of the Yellowshirt mob probably supplied them. You don't pick up this type of thing from supermarket shelves.

suppliers? Now who has the most war weapons in this (or any other) country?

Good point but Thailand does have several soft borders so other sources are very possible.

Indeed. What is also highly unlikely is that as the police are seeing their crime empires dismantled, they may be trying to hit back by dismantling other crime empires under rival control.

eg. you bust our drugs/prostitution/gambling, then we'll bust your arms trading, people traffiking, amulet trading etc.

I don't actually believe this - the people in charge are good people and so transparent you can see right through them so something like this wouldn't happen on their watch.

Well done to keep this hardware off the streets. Frankly, I wouldn't want ANY Thai holding a RPG in their hands. ANY Thai.

How did the "two arrested youths" have the connections to secure war weapons? It's more than a hidden mastermind question. It's one of safety.

Where is this crap coming from? It could be military as easily as some militant political faction, and quite probably more easy to procure from those that always have possession of such inventory..

Edited by FangFerang

Do the grenades carry serial numbers? It would be interesting if they could track where these man grenades as well as the guns originally come from.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

How dare you suggest the "truth" be investigated and disclosed.

Yes, grenades are marked, but not exactly the way you described, as well as many, many many other types of military equipment and materials.

Well done to keep this hardware off the streets. Frankly, I wouldn't want ANY Thai holding a RPG in their hands. ANY Thai.

How did the "two arrested youths" have the connections to secure war weapons? It's more than a hidden mastermind question. It's one of safety.

Where is this crap coming from? It could be military as easily as some militant political faction, and quite probably more easy to procure from those that always have possession of such inventory..

Oh, the equipment will be identifiable all right, and the authorities will know exactly where they came from. In fact, they don't deny it,

just don't want everyone to know just yet..................wink.png

"Police declined to identify the origin of the war weapons but said they were trying to find out the purpose of securing the illegal firearms"

Oh Yes ! Just imagine, " when you've completed Fig. 1 move to Fig. 2. "

" Hold On, you're going too fast ! "

Something like this?

gallery-1447259160-delish-ikea-man-apple

suppliers? Now who has the most war weapons in this (or any other) country?

Good point but Thailand does have several soft borders so other sources are very possible.

Indeed. What is also highly unlikely is that as the police are seeing their crime empires dismantled, they may be trying to hit back by dismantling other crime empires under rival control.

eg. you bust our drugs/prostitution/gambling, then we'll bust your arms trading, people traffiking, amulet trading etc.

I don't actually believe this - the people in charge are good people and so transparent you can see right through them so something like this wouldn't happen on their watch.

You have a devious mind. I would "like" your comment, if I were not so concerned about turf rivalries in Thailand. whistling.gif

The seized arms included one M79 grenade launcher and 98 brand-new M79 grenades and other war weapons.

M79 is the best friend of reds, perhaps their look for new toys from their friendly neighbors....whistling.gif

Do the grenades carry serial numbers? It would be interesting if they could track where these man grenades as well as the guns originally come from.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

How dare you suggest the "truth" be investigated and disclosed.

Yes, grenades are marked, but not exactly the way you described, as well as many, many many other types of military equipment and materials.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh indeed! Do you want some free "attitude adjustment" skilpadden? whistling.gifgigglem.gif

• 1 month later...

There are no such thing as an M79 grenade, however grenades M406 and M576 comes to mind, those are for use with the M79 grenande launcher. Of course there could be other grenades out there developed by the Thai army themselves, which would probably be prone to explode randomly....Just like the Chinese tear gas canisters used for crowd control a few years back, however it was disputed whether those injuries came from pinpong bombs or the tear gas canisters.

They are still an M79 grenade as they can only be used in a M79