Why would anyone want to visit the Philippines?

Scouse123

I have also never been and you seem to be mostly referring to Manila - I know of people who have gone and spent time on other islands and love it - one friend I know said he would never stay in Manila but goes often… the photos I have seen the beaches look lovely… and so, I too have had mixed feelings as I have heard stores have armed guards [to keep out the people that I will be walking around amongst?]

Though my first thought was some of the negative posters from TV might have moved there - - and you can't trust everything you read on the internet…

but still everyone reports of these armed guards and I am sure they are there for a reason that will not appeal to me…

• Like 1

sorry to hear about your friends condition .....

has he been to a hospital in Bangkok to seek treatment ?

Yeah,

Nana plaza hospital I think the name of the place is.

I don't think he will be returning to the Philippines anytime soon.

• Like 1

Guys,

I really don't want to get into a pissing contest on a country I have never been to, but this seems to show the Philippines way ahead of Thailand in the murder stakes.

It is 2012 survey and I am unsure of all the data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Edited by Scouse123

The hookers are cheaper and younger.

That's why they go.

I can confirm this assertion having lived a year in this country . Not real prostitute girls seeking on dating sites giggle.gif Their goal is marriage. Breaking up is always difficult and often tearful.
We go for girls (as in Thailand, huh rolleyes.gif ), but also stays there for the incredible kindness found everywhere. It is said that Filipino are the friendliest people in the world and I can believe.
But otherwise everything is inferior to Thailand to keep this item:
- The ubiquitous grime
- The catholic bigotry seems an insult to the intelligence
- The filthy food where each dish is bursting with fat and sugar
- Too low roof Jeepneys where it enters and leaves squatting
- All types of more expensive and less good housing.
- As stated above beggars, slums, garbage everywhere, misery, rats ...
Happy holidays biggrin.png
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Any places to avoid the squalor and rat infested areas?

If I go to Philippines then Manila is completely off the list and so would be dangerous areas of Muslim insurgent kidnappings.

They say the Philippines is the only place where consular assistance is needed by UK nationals more than Thailand.

Where is to be recommended where you are not constantly looking over your shoulder?

The murder rate by gunshot is far lower than in Thailand.

UNODC, which is a very credible source, ranks the overall homicide rate of the Philippines as #70 in the world. They put Thailand at #104. The Philippines has always seemed more risky to me, though it's probably not as dangerous as it feels. As always, your real risk depends mainly on behaving yourself and not acting like a knob. Things can get very rough very quickly in the Philippines if you treat people badly.

As for reasons to go . . . well, better mountain climbing and better bars. Those are the two reasons I go there. Though to be fair, the people are very nice. And seeing the scruffiness and sleaze will probably give you a new appreciation for Thailand.

• Like 2

manila is a shit hole. philippines is bloody hard to get around. you can't jump on a train or bus to go from the top to the bottom. air travel is the only way unless you are going to stay on one island. the food is <deleted>. the people are nice but when you get out of the city, they usually only speak whatever their local dialect is. English is probably the 3rd language behind tagalog, visayan and then english.

• Like 1

Well.....I have been here a full 23 years. No thoghts ever to go to the PI.Most suggestions that I Should check it out seem to be all based on whoermongering.....Something I care nothi g about......

• Like 2

Any places to avoid the squalor and rat infested areas

If I go to Philippines then Manila is completely off the list and so would be dangerous areas of Muslim insurgent kidnappings.

They say the Philippines is the only place where consular assistance is needed by UK nationals more than Thailand.

Where is to be recommended where you are not constantly looking over your shoulder?

Subic bay or Olongapo is ok. Cebu area is great

• Like 1

The murder rate by gunshot is far lower than in Thailand.

Can you list some sources because I cannot find them.

Same for me,...went to the Philippines several times, every day I read a newspaper there, there was a story about drunks arguing and shooting there best friend....and lots of armed robberies...went to Subic, Angeles, and Puerto Galera often. read newspapers every day and there were full of gun violence...

It was a lot more violent Than Thailand but still a beautiful place, great scenery, lovely islands, Boracay was one of the 10 most beautiful islands on the planet in every survey, gorgeous beaches. Manilla has great historical places but is to violent.

Nothing violent ever happened to me there, but the feeling of insecurity was present in not all but many places.

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 2

Why? Delightful people. Warm welcome everywhere. None of the surliness so common in Thailand these days. Easy communication in English. Wonderful scenery. Gorgeous beaches. Low prices. Why not? Scruffy cities. Boring, unhealthy food. Above all, skip Manila. Worst city in SE Asia by far. Fly into Angeles/Clark (CRK) from KL, Singapore, or HK if you can and start from there. On the armed security guards everywhere, I admit it's off-putting at first. But the profession is a job-creation scheme. Most of them are too mild to shoot rabbits. The murder rate by gunshot is far lower than in Thailand.

the people are great, so much more motivated and hard working than thais. filipinos express opinions, can make decisions and can speak great english, they can solve problems and use initiative. sure it's not as safe as thailand but then it's more exciting too. depends what you want. i wouldnt live there but a visit can be an exciting, rewarding and satisfying experience.

My ex-wife was a Filipina.

Thats enough to put me off ever wanting to go back there, lol!

Agree that Manila is a shithole, the countryside is much nicer.

She came from Cavite City where there is/was a lot of Spanish blood.

Some pretty Mestiza girls in Cavite.

• Like 1