Why would anyone want to visit the Philippines?

Scouse123

I have been married to a Filipina for 21 years, they are generally really nice people, like everywhere some better than others. We lived in an area north of Subic Bay for 3 years and loved it, we also lived in Thailand which my wife preferred (mainly due to not having the family on your doorstep every day and Thai food). Definitely worth a visit though and as others have mentioned don't spend too much time in Manila....

• Like 2

I have spent many happy years living and travelling around the Philippines, the islands are beautiful and unspoilt, some of the remote parts of Palawan are amongst the most beautiful places I have ever been. Great diving sites, great place to sail.

The people are friendly, generous and speak English.

The downside is of course Manila, Manila Airport, Manila, the whole of Mindanao and Manila, if you avoid those places you should have a great time.

An expression I heard that sums up the Philippines (and some other countries)

”Lovely people, beautiful country, c**p government”

• Like 2

For the Brits. The state pension has annual increases because the Philippines has a social security agreement with the UK.

Can't comment on anything else though as I've never been, although we did consider a golf holiday there, but there didn't seem to be the same number of golf course within easy distance of any one location.

Much exaggeration and undeserved bashing going on here. Just avoid Manila (to esp incl NAIA, if you can...). If you must fly in/out thru NAIA, do some homework and inform yourself beforehand of the best options for transiting thru Metro Manila - you don't want to spend anymore time there than necessary.

• Like 2

It is kind of funny. Most threads on here that I read are negative. Towards Thailand. Do not do business, they are ALL thieves. Do not buy wife/GF/child a house. They will steal it. If you object, "Family" will harm you. All the girls from Issan, blah, blah. Yet so many move to Thailand. And do not go home. Crime? Is everywhere. No country on earth is immune. Ph has its issues. But Palawan just listed by Conde Nast as the most beautiful Island in the World. Much of Palawans beauty, looks like parts of Thailand. Are parts of Manila bad? Sure they are. But the same can be said for Bangkok, Pattaya, where ever. Locals only bars or places where hostility is open to outsiders. Have that EVERYWHERE. In the US. I have seen 3 different places. All have a similar decoration outside. On a wall a picture of a watermelon with a circle with a line thru it superimposed. Those it is intended for know exactly what it means. So Ph is bad? I guess if you want too see it that way. I like most of everything I have seen in SEA including Ph. I do wonder if it is sooooo bad. Why not a multitude of posts saying bye Thailand.

• Like 1

Philipines has amazing islands to see. Search Boracay, Palawan and Puerto Princesa. Philipines is also the only place I have not been in SE asia. Better stay away from the big cities like Manila. Go for the islands, there are 1000s of them.

The murder rate by gunshot is far lower than in Thailand.

Can you list some sources because I cannot find them.

Yes if you are regular on TVF you will have read that Thailand has more guns, and more death by guns than any other S.E. Asian country.

• Like 1

spent 2 months in Manila place is a slum with islands of civilisation in it. The only way to take a taxi was by grab taxi where you agree the fee before pickup. Got mugged but that could have happenened anywhere except for the fact it was middle of the afternoon on a main road. all in all not a place I would go for a holiday not as cheap as I had been told grog not cheap not impressed. Maybe out of Manila is ok.

I think the people are nice.

The girls in Angeles are chunky compared to Thais. Some of the bars have signs on the door saying no guns allowed. But nobody checking!! Made me wonder who was packing.

The food doesn't compare to Thai.

The people are nice and, if you are looking for a mate, a lot of girls would like to leave and bring their families. I think Thai girls would prefer to stay home near their moms.

With the ASEAN treaty coming into effect I expect to see more Flips in Thailand.

• Like 1

I have been married to a Filipina for 21 years, they are generally really nice people, like everywhere some better than others. We lived in an area north of Subic Bay for 3 years and loved it, we also lived in Thailand which my wife preferred (mainly due to not having the family on your doorstep every day and Thai food). Definitely worth a visit though and as others have mentioned don't spend too much time in Manila....

You guys should not knock it until you have tried it.

Admittedly parts of Manila are an armpit,but so are parts of Pattaya That said Manila is easily avoided.

Fly into one of the other international gateways such Cebu, Iloilo or Clark for a warm welcome from very friendly English speaking people.

Plenty of pristine beaches with NO hawkers or headaches,. Yes, for you cheap Charlies the fast food restaurants all offer

low quality food,( you can blame their past colonial masters - the Americans for introducing that) but if you search there are plenty of local restaurants serving good quality food.

For those of you looking for girls, Yes, there are cheap and most provide an excellent girlfriend type experience.

For those of you resident in CM, have you ever wondered why there is an increasing number of resident westerners living there with a Filipino wife?

I am bailing out of CM in Feb or Mar for a trip to PI and around the islands... def not Manila though.

The guys that have a Filipina girl living with them in CM have it figured out IMO... good job fellas.

Looking forward to my well deserved and far too late trip there.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

The PI, Thailand and much of SE Asian was more kinder and gentler 50 years ago...poverty, corruption, and thievery have always been present...but seems more prevalent now...

People do what they have to when there is not enough employment to go around...many are poorly educated and have learned from their peers how to survive on the streets stealing from those who have...mainly unsuspecting tourists...

As far as "they constantly are trying to ram ' GOD ' down my throat and I am a long time atheist"...it is likely not God...they want to ram down your throat...smile.png

They drive on the wrong ( American ) side of the road. Too freaking hot. Haven't been there; however, if the food is as bad as other posters say, not interested.

Like Thailand, the Philippines has its share of horror stories about women. Lang Hancock is the most famous example.

• Like 1

I love PI...but have a Thai wife and enjoy it here too...I could live in PI very easy and make the best of it there too. But then again I love living here in Thailand too...California too for that matter..Be nice to have 3 homes..:))

• Like 2

Having worked and lived in Philippines on several occasions, I cannot agree with most of the comments.

I have driven around Manila and other cities there, never felt threatened, just as safe as Bangkok.

Local food is great, Spicy Sissig ( minced pig cheeks and other part ), Sizzling Gambas ( prawns in chilli sauce ) and Bulalo ( marrow bone soup ) are all delicious, and lecche flan is better than creme caramel.

If I ever had to leave Thailand, Philippines would be my next home, no problem.

• Like 2

Sorry, but I have to query your assertion that "Filipinos basically think like Westerners and rarely do anything bizarre or incomprehensible". My mother in law from my first disaster bought a pair of football boots because she thought the studs were for keeping your feet out of puddles when its raining! I could go on.....and on........and on!

That hardly counts as bizarre, I think. Just lack of knowledge of what football boots are. Compare it with some of the totally weird (to our eyes) things that Thais do.

I lived in the RP on and off for about 10 years and never came across a single bizarre thing in all that time. Here it's several times a day.

Local food is great, Spicy Sissig ( minced pig cheeks and other part ), Sizzling Gambas ( prawns in chilli sauce ) and Bulalo ( marrow bone soup ) are all delicious, and lecche flan is better than creme caramel.

If I ever had to leave Thailand, Philippines would be my next home, no problem.

Some of the food is great as you say but much of it is very bland.

The RP would probably be my first choice ahead of Thailand if it wasnt for the tax situation.

• Like 1