How to construct a roof in the classic Lanna style

simon43

Meaning like this:

post-174-0-12827500-1452426819_thumb.jpg

I am going to build some more guest rooms at my little resort - the overall footprint for this single storey building will be a rectangle that is 14 metres wide by 5 metres deep.

Rather than just construct a sloping. pitched roof, I thought of constructing a pitch roof with a concave line, a la Lanna style.

I have seen the metal framework on similar buildings during construction - they seem to use a lightweight metal roofing framework to create this curved line.

Any suggestions how I go about building this type of roof? Is there a company who can supply preformed roof metalwork? (I'm in Phuket, but could get it delivered of course from a supplier anywhere in Thailand).

We have that style in steel.

Have a look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481794-housebuilding-thread/?p=4994923 it wasn't cheap :(

The supporting tubes were bent up by our local tube-bender, constantly varying radius cause them headaches but the result is worth it.

We got the teak barge boards first (or a plywood template) and the steel guys used that to bend to.

Dependent on the size roof and weight of tiles there are two options.

Use box section steel tube to make roof trusses. This requires measuring and setting up a full size jig on the floor (ground), The straight box section tube is then sawn through part way at intervals where the curvature is required. It's a compound curve so the pitch between saw cuts varies. Laid in the jig the truss sides are then bent into shape and each kerf where the saw has cut is then seam welded. Straight cross struts are welded between the two halves and the ends at the ridge welded together followed by cleaning and pickling of the welds then anti corrosive treatment.

Second option which the purist builder will use is all timber. Straight sided trusses with internal purlins but the outer edge has hardwood strips (the tile hangers) laid parallel with each other at varied pitch and thickness to form the curvature.

My main house buildings have steel trusses but the Salah is all timber.

You pays your money and you take your choice.......

Please update your knowledge !

On the picture, this is Ayutthaya style ! bended and high,

Lanna style is straight and less slope !!

Don't shoot the messenger - that Google photo was described as Lanna style

Are you expecting snow in Thailand? That's what roofs of that pitch are for. laugh.png

Better tell that to all the locals who have been building these for centuries.

Actually, the high ventilated ceilings and raised floors provide natural cooling. Our steel and concrete version remains comfortable on the hottest days with just natural cross-ventilation and fans, no aircon.

Our steel and concrete version remains comfortable on the hottest days with just natural cross-ventilation and fans, no aircon.

Exactly the reason why I want to use this style - I have 'run out' of electricity for air-con units in these rooms

Our steel and concrete version remains comfortable on the hottest days with just natural cross-ventilation and fans, no aircon.

Exactly the reason why I want to use this style - I have 'run out' of electricity for air-con units in these rooms

Obviously 'comfortable' isn't arctic or even below the outside ambient, but with passive heat gain reduction like light coloured walls, shade plants, large overhanging eaves etc. things stay tolerably cool. Annoyingly the coolest room in our home is our master bathroom due to its position on a corner that never get direct sun :(