American Joy

siamaloha

My Thai bf gets his Non-Immigrant B2 Visa to America!

Here's the link to our story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=86502&hl=

Just thought some of you in this subforum would like to know what happened, and of course I feel like making a big shout out to the world!

:o

Congratulations. He had a strong case. Owning land or a house in Thailand is always a good start to getting a visa. That's why it is so difficult for boys of the night to get them unless of course they go to one of the dubious European Embassies where they seem to give them out like candy.

Happy Holidays!

Congratulations. He had a strong case. Owning land or a house in Thailand is always a good start to getting a visa.

It's funny though. He was never asked about owning property. Not even asked to show his bank book! He was documented and copied to the gills, but seemingly his association with me and his letter detailing his job were all that mattered. (No way I'm complaining!) Thanks... Happy Holidays for sure :o

thats only half the story bro. he hasnt met american immigration yet. thai boys get shit from american immigration.

got my american study visa for my universoity and i still get shit from the immigration.

i travel alone sans visas to many countries and I WILL GET STOPPED 80 percent of the time. so yeah.

you know, pick you out from the q and all that..bring u to a room and ask some qns, that kind of crap.

typical qns: wot i do as a living, why i can speak english well, where i will be staying, who ill be meeting, etc etc.

it pays real well that yr partner speaks english well and remains calm and dont let the guys push him around. good luck!

Is it possible that most of the information needed to grant the visa is obtained from the documentation submitted with the application and the interview is to just confirm the individual is who he says he is and a minor test of credibility?

My guess is you have to goof the interview to be rejected, once the initial approval is made on the documentation submitted. Interview certainly tests your knowledge of the documents submitted and your ability to keep your story consistent.

All the foregoing might well be subject to the time of day, the approaching lunch break, etc.

Is it possible that most of the information needed to grant the visa is obtained from the documentation submitted with the application...

All the foregoing might well be subject to the time of day, the approaching lunch break, etc.

Some of this is covered in the other thread, but I wondered about this too. For the B1/ B2 Visa, however, the application is turned in after you enter the Embassy and no documentation is submitted until you have the interview. Khun K had a work history letter, a letter granting leave, bank books, bank statements, bank letter, land deed and house registration, rental contract, utility bills, invitation letters, a letter from me regarding our relationship and my retirement Visa, airline tickets, car and hotel reservations, my Passport and Certificate of Residency, and pictures of places we've been together over the past year and a half. In the end, the only documents he was asked for were my CR and Passport and his work history letter. I think that his government job as stated on the application was the clincher as the interview began. And Khun K's honesty; he replied truthfully when asked who he was travelling with and whether I was his bf. Plus he had the documentation to prove it.

I think you're right PTE about having to goof the interview pretty bad to be rejected if your docs are all in order. But i was surprised at how few docs were requested and how few questions were asked of him. And as far as the approaching lunch hour goes, the applicants both before and after my bf at the same window spent far more time answering questions and submitting documents than he did. Both were denied. Outside, my bf talked to the woman who interviewed after him. She applied to visit her bf in the US, and I had heard the CO say something to the effect that "I'm sorry, but you just haven't convinced me that you will return."

So I have to think that the interviewers are adept at reading applicants fairly quickly. And then, of course, there's kharma... :o

If his position in the agency, or the prestigious agency where he works, is truly impressive, that may have done it. Not off topic - I once walked through US Customs&Immigration with no passport or visa, no current ID at all, just a few scraps of evidence that I was a mid-ranking IRS officer. The officer practically saluted me.

Federal agents and officers know each other's agencies.

Again, congratulations.

Yes, siamaloha, all you provided is good and very informative to those who follow this issue closely.

When you put yourself in the interviewers shoes, it becomes easier to see what criteria carry weight with them.

Whether its Australia or the U.S., one approach in preparing for the application and interview is to remember that "the burden of proof is on the applicant" to establish "a compelling reason to return".

A Thai visiting or traveling with an American b/f (who resides in the U.S.) would have a very high mountain to climb regardless, of his Thai connections, as, in my view, the romance angle is a major factor.

So far, Australia has been my only Thai b/f travel experience, however, they seem to follow the U.S. in many aspects. With one interesting twist.

Aussies who live in Australia have little trouble getting g/fs tourist visas, but seem to be limited to two trips. Then denials seem to issue on the premise that they should be married by the third visit.

In my case, the third trip with a year multi-entry visit was granted, in my view because gays can't marry and so a de facto marriage relationship is recognized as a "compelling reason to return" and I live long stay in Thailand.

By the way, I prepare my documentation, as siamaloha does, extensive as I can make it. I learned long ago that give them everything and let them decide which document they choose to rely on to make their decision. No way can one determine in advance which documents are determinable by differing immigration officers.

My Thai was extensively interviewed by immigration each time he re-entered Australia by immigration officers, three times in the past year. What seemed to clinch it for him was is up front aknowledgement of our relationship and our interdependent living arrangements.

PS Our first application to visit Australia together to visit my daughter was denied but in a requested interview while still at the Embassy, I turned the decision around by being more truthful about our relationship. First try he was my "house manager", if you can believe that closeted approach!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: He got a ten year multi-entry! When the passport was returned by EMS Thursday (interview was a Monday) it had two Visas in it. The first, for one year, was boldly stamped "Cancelled - without prejudice." The next page had the ten-year-multi. We had expected to receive it Wednesday... perhaps the change from one to ten incurred the delay, and the ten was dated the day after the one.