David Bowie has died

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Bowie invented the Punk before we knew the word , he started the whole "New Romance" movement with Ashes to Ashes, my favourite song when I was a teenager. He created new hits for almost 50 years, you can ask any generation and they have a favourite Bowie song, you don't have to like the full package , but there's always one song that stands out in a decade.

He's right up there with Lennon and Paul McCartney as one of the few, true legends. He will be sadly missed by me and other true music lovers.

Edited by balo

Elvis was fantastic and Orbison was good, but its not necessary to knock Bowie to appreciate them.

If you know anything at all about music you have to appreciate Bowies genius which is in a totally different class....... But who the hell are you that you think anybody here (99.9% who only wants to pay tribute to a great musician) gives even half a monkeys f.... that you got into country music?

Even Lennon and Bowie's pic on here has 'Elvis' on Lennon's jacket but, as you say, that does not take anything away from the genius Bowie. That would be like saying Mozart was worse than Beethoven. I was genuinely shocked when I heard and he was a huge icon. No idea what cancer it was... smoking? anyway thank you David for your genius you were a Hero to millions safe journey.

MiKt. Just what is your problem?? I never knocked David Bowie, I said that I would have difficulty naming any of his songs, the same would be said about Elton John.

I have never been into that sort of music, I even said RIP in my post about Bowie.

I would think an apology would be in order.

Charmonman. Frank Sinatra? One of the most boring voices I have ever heard.

Bing Crosby. I would much prefer David Crosby. You know, The Byrds. Crosby, Stills and Nash.

I have absolutely no idea or interest in what your taste in music is to be fair, and if you bothered to read my post you would understand that I wasn't saying you do or should like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby or anyone else. But limiting your view of the best musicians ever to Elvis and Roy Orbison (or David Crosby) seems a bit limiting.

You mentioned Sinatra and Crosby, so I gave my opinion, this is a forum is it not?

As far as singing goes, you just cannot compare these two to either Elvis or Roy Orbison. That is my opinion.

I was brought up with real singers like Elvis and Roy Orbison, although I don't remember when they first came out.

I would bet that David Bowie was not in the same class as any of these two.

Besides I wasn't into that sort of music, I started off professionally with a showband, then into American country music.

Yes, and I'm sure when Elvis and Roy Orbison came out there were old farts who thought they didn't rise to the standards of "real singers" like Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby (who Bowie did a famous duet with in 1977).

Nothing wrong with being old (i'm getting there myself) but try to keep in mind that there are at least a couple of generations that came after you to whom David Bowie is one of the greatest ever.

Don't feed the troll, his first post was that he never heard of David Bowie, later on he changed to knowing only a few songs and yada yada.

Are you referring to me? When did I say I had never heard of Bowie. What I said was that I would be hard pushed to name any of Bowies songs.

So go back on your Yada Yada.

I was brought up with real singers like Elvis and Roy Orbison, although I don't remember when they first came out.

I would bet that David Bowie was not in the same class as any of these two.

Besides I wasn't into that sort of music, I started off professionally with a showband, then into American country music.

Firstly, did Elvis and Roy Orbison write their own music?

You then got into American country music? That says it all...

Roy Orbison wrote his own music. Also, if it was not for playing country music, I would not be here in Thailand today.

Just fancy that, no Possum to annoy everybody.

We get the idea, you don't like DB. This post is about David Bowie, not about singers you like! Why bother posting?

This all started because I simply said that after I said RIP about Bowie, I

would be hard pushed to name any of Bowies songs, that is nothing to do with liking him or not.

MiKt. Just what is your problem?? I never knocked David Bowie, I said that I would have difficulty naming any of his songs, the same would be said about Elton John.

I have never been into that sort of music, I even said RIP in my post about Bowie.

So you don't know any David Bowie songs yet you felt compelled to post on a thread about his death.

Don't you think that is a little bit odd.

When Orbison died I shut T.F. up.

MiKt. Just what is your problem?? I never knocked David Bowie,

Just as well, you would probably be stoned by the culturally intolerant on here if you did blink.png

I already have been stoned for just saying that I would be hard pushed to name any of Bowies songs.

I just cannot get some people to understand that ie, if anyone was not a jazz fan, they would probably

be hard pushed to name any famous jazz singer or musicians songs.

So you don't know any David Bowie songs yet you felt compelled to post on a thread about his death.

What is wrong with saying RIP to someone who died and was very famous?

I will not be answering any more posts on this topic.

I checked back on post 142 and don't recall seeing the words R.I.P. anywhere - just a slightly insensitive and poorly thought out, inappropriate post.

I have never heard him sing, I could not even name any of his songs, but he was obviously a big star, so may he rest in peace.

Read post #83

I checked back on post 142 and don't recall seeing the words R.I.P. anywhere - just a slightly insensitive and poorly thought out, inappropriate post.

I have never heard him sing, I could not even name any of his songs, but he was obviously a big star, so may he rest in peace.

deleted

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

MiKt. Just what is your problem?? I never knocked David Bowie,

Just as well, you would probably be stoned by the culturally intolerant on here if you did blink.png

I already have been stoned for just saying that I would be hard pushed to name any of Bowies songs.

I just cannot get some people to understand that ie, if anyone was not a jazz fan, they would probably

be hard pushed to name any famous jazz singer or musicians songs.

David Bowie was heavily influenced by jazz, for example, as in the album released just before his death. I see many contemporary jazz players have expressed their condolences and said what an influence Bowie was on them. He was one of the few who crossed most genres of music. Bowie influenced millions in my generation and, to many, he probably was the mesiah.

Edited by Stevemercer