AIS 4G-- Is it really 4G speed?

steelepulse

I noticed on my phone instead of AIS H+, it nows shows AIS 4G. A few hours later an sms in Thai comes with something about 4G. According to my phone and the speed in which it is getting data, I don't see any significant speed differences. Has anyone gotten 4G speeds here on AIS?

I noticed on my phone instead of AIS H+, it nows shows AIS 4G. A few hours later an sms in Thai comes with something about 4G. According to my phone and the speed in which it is getting data, I don't see any significant speed differences. Has anyone gotten 4G speeds here on AIS?

if the 3G speed out performs the speed of the international gateway, then 4G won't make any difference.

I noticed the same this morning.....did a speedtest and got 60.84/24.91 Mbps which is about twice as fast as I ever saw on H+. Strange that the SMS I had from AIS last month said the 4G trial would finish on 10 January, the very day before if actually started (or maybe not strange at all).

Got the SMS from AIS today, changed my phone (Samsung S5) from a 3G setting to 4G and was no different apart from the actual phone bars indicating the phones signal strength had only 1 when in 4G mode, changed it back to 3G and had full signal strength again.

Edited by beechbum

I noticed the same this morning.....did a speedtest and got 60.84/24.91 Mbps which is about twice as fast as I ever saw on H+. Strange that the SMS I had from AIS last month said the 4G trial would finish on 10 January, the very day before if actually started (or maybe not strange at all).

Was that speedtest to BKK, or an actual international speed? I'm showing snail speed on 4G at the moment, while my fiber line is much faster, even though it too isn't very fast.

My choice is CAT HSPA+ (they are sharing network with the TRUE as i've heard, but CAT working better for me i don't know why), and AIS as a backup one (because it is not same stable and many times switching back to the 3G mode so there is not much difference). My location - Naiharn area. And normally speed to the outside of country 2-3 times slower than local.

But beware CAT TELECOM one day i has to pay 20000 thai baht only because they didn't sent to me any bills for an older modem i almost didn't used.

Edited by Komissar

Last month was "December", January is one month later. You got the message, that you got 5 GB traffic by 4G FREE until Jan 10th. Then you can use 4G according to your Data Plan.

Got the SMS from AIS today, changed my phone (Samsung S5) from a 3G setting to 4G and was no different apart from the actual phone bars indicating the phones signal strength had only 1 when in 4G mode, changed it back to 3G and had full signal strength again.

The signal strength is not important for me. I like the performance and speed, not the signal strength indication.

The signal strength is not important for me. I like the performance and speed, not the signal strength indication.

But this is not very clever from you since at low signal levels the phone must transmit at very high power levels which is not good for the battery and for your health either.

Also, at low signal levels the error rate increases so the packets must be re-transmitted and thus the speed is lower, too. So you better start to watch the signal level, too.

Edited by falang07

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

They have not even got to deliver 3G speed right yet....

So no....

But in good Thainess style, they will start selling 4G now since they can get it up on your phone...

plese pay....see you got it.... your phone say 4G....... Never mind speed.....

mai pen rai, jai yen yen farrang.....

wai2.gif

Ais must surely have enough of a customer base that speak english and don't read Thai that they would know who they were and be able to send all this info in english too.

Despite having made the SMS in English selections, I mostly get system messages in Thai. Translating them with Google Translate usually confuses me more than asking the Mrs.

I guess the LTA speed is not an issue. The problem for me is the minuscule data packages.

How big pre-paid packages AIS offer and for what costs?

I just noted this offer when flying back from Singapore. SingTel add offers 100GB packages (+100GB free) for 5 and 10 days stay. Those packages include various other things as well.

post-58566-0-20568400-1452651443_thumb.j

I guess the LTA speed is not an issue. The problem for me is the minuscule data packages.

How big pre-paid packages AIS offer and for what costs?

I just noted this offer when flying back from Singapore. SingTel add offers 100GB packages (+100GB free) for 5 and 10 days stay. Those packages include various other things as well.

attachicon.gif20151229-IMG_3327.jpg

I wonder what use a tourist would have for 200gb in 10 days.

I wonder what use a tourist would have for 200gb in 10 days.

Backup raw photos to a server. Watch high quality videos from laptop. etc.

I'm sure that quota is enough, so that there is no reason to worry about running out even if using the mobile data as one would use home adsl etc. connection.

I'm using 1GB/month package in Thailand. That gives me 30MB usage per day. I could get a larger package, but then again, I'm using this time to learn how to reduce my mobile data usage. It might be useful in the future situations.