British woman injured and valuables stolen in daylight Phuket snatch and grab theft

snoop1130

I see so many women riding motorcycles with their bag slung over the shoulder, including my g/f, who I constantly warned.

She laughed it off until one day a few months ago she was forced of the road and threatened to hand her bag over.

Now she keeps it under the seat, which was the advice I previously suggested.

Police told us these types of crimes always increase after prisoners are pardoned each year and released.

The main perpetrators are the 'Yabba' addicts, looking for a quick buck to buy their fix.

I advised my GF to put her bag under the seat. She told me she couldn't do that because she had a gold Buddha/Buddha amulet in there and it is disrespectful to have such items 'under your ass' on on a motorbike.

I do wonder about the indoctrination in this country at times.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviousley you have a vested intrested in Phuket

I have and he is right

I have travels to most countries in the world. And I can sy without a doubt. Phuket has to be the number one crime rate against foreigners in the world. Serious crimes murder rape robbery. Every single day. What has changed in the last ten years? It's gotten worse. What are police doing. Nothing so shut the island off to visitors. It's just too dangerous. Really it's the only answer.

Fascinating. And have you ever visited Phuket? Or just visiting the Phuket forum to post nonsense?

These very dangerous bag snatches where both the thieves and victim are on motorbikes have been going on for years in Phuket. It seems to be the signature crime there. This type of robbery should be treated at the very least as aggravated robbery and get a minimum of 6 years' imprisonment. However as the attackers are locals, often the police are not really interested and then the courts treat them leniently.

How many, male and female, have been kicked off their motorbikes, particularly along the coast road, at night, and then robbed, but died from their injuries.

It's reported as a motorbike accident, when in fact, it is a murder.

I was kicked off my motorbike at 5 a.m. in the morning in Kalasin by 2 drunks walking home, after going to the police station and waking the police up, they went to the scene, of course the men were long gone, the police took me to the hospital. In the police report it says " Alex dropped his bike on the road." There is no mention of the 2 Thai men.

These very dangerous bag snatches where both the thieves and victim are on motorbikes have been going on for years in Phuket. It seems to be the signature crime there. This type of robbery should be treated at the very least as aggravated robbery and get a minimum of 6 years' imprisonment. However as the attackers are locals, often the police are not really interested and then the courts treat them leniently.

Seems like crime pays in LOS
If you think of all the "rich" policemen, army officers and other civil servants in the right positions then it is true, sadly. The same is true for bankers, drug— and weapon dealers etc.

I have travels to most countries in the world. And I can sy without a doubt. Phuket has to be the number one crime rate against foreigners in the world. Serious crimes murder rape robbery. Every single day. What has changed in the last ten years? It's gotten worse. What are police doing. Nothing so shut the island off to visitors. It's just too dangerous. Really it's the only answer.

I seriously doubt that you have travelled to most countries in the world if you can view Phuket as the crime capital of the world.

For heavens sake put it into perspective, Its a handbag snatch.

These are the top 50 worse crime cities in the world----- and surprise surprise not one of them is anywhere in Asia. Nor in the top 100. In these idyllic places --the lady would have been stopped, raped then killed before they took her bag.

Sure its not a nice thing to happen that lady---but because its Thailand, it suddenly becomes a executable offence in some TV members minds.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2015-1

I feel really sorry for the poor girl.

But who in their right mind, would drive around with a 100.000 thb Louis Vuitton bag? It is a clear invitation to robbers who can spot the difference between a fake and and original.

Reminds me of foreigners who wear heavy gold buddha amulets.......

I doubt robbers can spot the difference between a fake and original bag on a motorcycle. She was pretty blinged up the way she dressed which made her a target.

I see people are blaming the victim. Let's all walk around with rice sacks to carry our stuff around to avoid being robbed. Great logic.

Regardless of the brand of the handbag, it won't deter a desperate thief who look to target western women.

Good luck trying to sell the bag as it's too identifiable to be sold on this small island.

Edited by sebastion

Firstly, Phuket is not a country. Secondly, your "without a doubt" claim is doubtful without statistical evidence.

This recent top ten list of murders (not crimes against foreigners specifically, as you claim to be the expert on) per capita shows not one Asian country much less the "country" of Phuket. http://www.abcnewspoint.com/top-10-countries-with-highest-murder-rate-in-the-world-2015/

Your solution of shutting down the island with no alternative solution is mindless gibberish. Maybe you would throw a cage around the cities of Chicago, New Orleans or Detroit too? How about dropping an H-bomb on Honduras? There is no free lunch. Third world countries with cheap accommodations and beer for foreigners also have limited resources for their nationals which often results in crime, some of it is violent. I EXPECT certain cities in Thailand to have crime. I do not expect the same behavior from the animals perpetuating these crimes in any of the American cities I mentioned where alternatives are available for those who want them.

Thanks for giving the poor Thais more money!!! They are very poor and need much money from farangs...

hope tourist records this year!!! means more money for Thailand!!!

only boycotting will help your fellow farangs...

Post removed.

Can we please resist the urge to comment or "blame" the Burmese every time there is any type of incident. Its getting really old and its against forum rules.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

There have been alot of nails in this coffin recently and here's another fine example of "Thainess" in Lieland the land of denials.

I don't know about nails in the coffin, but there have certainly been a lot of negative incidents involving British people.

If these incidents all appear in the British newspapers, then surely they will be creating a very negative image of Thailand.

Fascinating. And have you ever visited Phuket? Or just visiting the Phuket forum to post nonsense?

I agree, total nonsense. I think you need to have a wander around Johannesburg, Lagos, Nairobi (more commonly known as Nairobberi) or many many other African cities before you jump to that conclusion. And not only African cities, how about London, I'll bet the crime rate against foreigners is higher there.

A sign of the times.

Desperate people do desperate things.

Combine the loss of tourists who spend around the island ( not at stop off's for Chinese tours) then the amount of credit that people have to pay back and then worse of all the drug problem here in Phuket and you can see that things are only going to get worse.

Next time you stop at a traffic light watch how many on motorbikes are twitching and jumping, since i noticed this I'm amazed at how many I see.

It will be a vicious cycle, as this becomes more common then less people will want to come then more people will commit crimes due to lack of income.

Sadly this is playing out all around the world, times are hard for many not only in Phuket.

I've said it before and I'll say it again these people would not care even if the punishments were harsher, they are desperate for money for any of the above reasons.

Be aware, night or day, take care! sad.png

I remember about 4 years ago the female victim died, and the Thai was caught quickly enough and sentenced to life or death. He was made an example of.

Well 'the example' didn't have any effect then, did it.

I've been told by a neighbour whose Thai husband works on Kata beach that their are many thieves snatching tourists' bags now. News never gets out to 'protect tourism', again. Never heard of before. You could leave anything and the Thais would keep an eye on it for you. They wouldn't allow thieves on the beach then. Things appear to be changing, doubtless due to economic decline. Sign of the times and depressingly not looking better any time soon no matter how many times a day TAT trumpets 'huge rise in tourism expected'.

Every embassy issues common sense advice to travellers. Leave your valuables in the hotel safe. Do not walk in unlit areas at night. Be aware of pickpockets and bag snatches.

No excuse for criminals.

Well this one was not walking and it was still daylight.

Did she live in a hotel?

The real solution is surveillance and effective policing, too late to stop them getting onto the island at the bridge!

Does the government really think folks will just keep coming if they continue to ignore these terrible problems? Word is getting out that Thailand continues to be a dangerous, often lawless tourist destination with police who don't really care. Maybe we'll have another "crackdown" ala the crackdown on drunks over the New Year holiday which is now long forgotten.

But tourist arrivals just keep on going up...

Every embassy issues common sense advice to travellers. Leave your valuables in the hotel safe. Do not walk in unlit areas at night. Be aware of pickpockets and bag snatches.

No excuse for criminals.

Well this one was not walking and it was still daylight.

Did she live in a hotel?

The real solution is surveillance and effective policing, too late to stop them getting onto the island at the bridge!

'Hotel safe'. mmm - guy comes to LoS with life savings from Oz - puts savings in Pattaya hotel safe...unbelievable coincidence : Hotel safe broken into that night. I wouldn't trust any of them.

I was worried that Phucket might be the most dangerous place in the world for foreigners when I read this post, given the poster's claim to have traveled to most countries in the world so I decided to check the various embassy sites for warnings to this effect. After all they usually err on the side of caution in fact they are usually namby pamby on these matters.

The US Embassy who have issued dozens of security warnings on Thailand doesn't even mention Phucket although it does have a security warning on Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani provinces. Nothing specific on the Department of State site either Oh well, perhaps the country that gave us John Wayne expects its tourists to be able to handle themselves.

What about the Brits, the Gov.UK website gives lots of general advice on safety to travelers including a lot on the possible terrorist attacks following the Bangkok bombings, nothing specific on Phucket though. Perhaps the UK Government considers its travelers can be relied on to have the pluck of Captain Horatio Hornblower when visiting this hellhole.

Australia doesn't advise Aussies travelling overseas to pack a spare pair of undies but caution on just about everything else. Nothing on the warning list about Phucket. Skips visiting Thailand are told to "exercise a high degree of caution "Something I do when visiting their country I never insult their hypersensitive customs officers or criticize the revolting Australian beer on pain of death. I suppose the Australian Government expects the citizens from the land of Kylie Minogue to be able to handle anything after listening to her.

The Canadians recommend a high degree of caution and warn about Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani provinces, nothing on Phucket. Still I guess their all lumberjacks and their OK.

Singapore, where you can jailed for littering and jaywalking urges vigilance, but nothing on Phucket although many Malaysian and Indonesian provinces crack a mention. If careful bureaucrats in the Island State have overlooked Phucket I wouldn't be too worried.

So, is it a conspiracy of silence by all there countries, or just another Thai hating blowhard letting off steam?

Edited by mydee

As said. Every embassy, every travel guide offers general advice to travelers. Not for the sake of it, but as a precaution.

This is a known method of opportunists. These petty criminals are not the brightest or bravest.

An informed traveller doesn't carry large amounts of cash or valuables.

Stupid isn't it?

Such a pity there hasn`t gone out any travel warnings about "the most dangerous place for a foreigner to visit",then coffee1.gif ..........................................