How long can a Lao girlfriend stay in Thailand?

I feel u. But why coming here with Lao gf? Just asking....

Although it's very simple to get a one year/business visa/workpermit etc. for Laos it's not interesting (for me) there is really nothing and it's overpriced. Thailand is the place to be just Lao girls are so much better.

Only information I found was that Lao residents just can get a 30 days visa like anyone, weird and not sure if up to date.

Edited by flyDelight

They get a 30 day visa exempt entry but no 30 day extension since it is from a bilateral agreement.

Or a single entry tourist visa.

It is same for her to stay long term as anybody else unless she can find work that falls under the migrant worker scheme.

1 L-A migrant visa good for 2 years if u can find someone to hire her as a migrant worker

2. Non B visa if u can find someone to hire her an pay tax, social fund, apply for wp etc etc

3. Marry her and add her as your dependent on your visa, ( not sure you can marry a lao in Thailand nut might have to be done in Laos)

4. tourist visas as long as they will issue ( 60 days + 30 day extension)

• Like 2

1 L-A migrant visa good for 2 years if u can find someone to hire her as a migrant worker

2. Non B visa if u can find someone to hire her an pay tax, social fund, apply for wp etc etc

3. Marry her and add her as your dependent on your visa, ( not sure you can marry a lao in Thailand nut might have to be done in Laos)

Interesting information, yes we plan to get married this (in HongKong, in Laos is a headache).

• Like 1

We had a maid from Laos on a 2yr visa, i am here on a work permit with extension of stay and signed her papers. Dont know what visa you are on but if it permits, you could sponsor her as your 'maid'?

Oops, sorry. Just read you are getting married to her, so above suggestion is irrelevant.

Edited by saakura
  • Like 1

Although it's very simple to get a one year/business visa/workpermit etc. for Laos it's not interesting (for me) there is really nothing and it's overpriced. Thailand is the place to be just Lao girls are so much better.

Only information I found was that Lao residents just can get a 30 days visa like anyone, weird and not sure if up to date.

The you have never spent much time in Luang Prabang, Life is much more interesting in Laos and only the food is more expensive than Thailand. It is a Communist State, but marriage in Laos in now much easier than even 5 years ago.

Law aside, in practice they often simply overstay and usually have no issues doing that.

Not sure what the official fine is on exit but it doesn't appear to be the same. Much less.

wrong. Laotian maintain their legal stay, a lot travel still every 30days to border areas to get passport stamped.

• Like 1

Law aside, in practice they often simply overstay and usually have no issues doing that.

Not sure what the official fine is on exit but it doesn't appear to be the same. Much less.

wrong. Laotian maintain their legal stay, a lot travel still every 30days to border areas to get passport stamped.

Some do, some don't. How is what I posted wrong... I didn't say they all overstay.

Here's a report of well over a month overstay only resulting in a 2500 baht fine instead of 20000. It's much more tolerated (unofficially) for Laotians than other nationalities, which I think is great. More power to them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/330409-penalties-for-overstaying-laos-citizens/

Edited by jspill

It is the same. Had a Lao lady next to me last week and she overstayed her visa for 5 days and had to pay 2500 Baht.

Interesting information, yes we plan to get married this (in HongKong, in Laos is a headache).

would be interested to hear what the requirements are for 2 farangs( as she would not be a HK resident) to marry in HK

I have been looking at Singapore marriage to my Khmer gf

https://www.rom.gov.sg/reg_info/pdf/Marriage%20Process%20Checklist.pdf

the biggest problem for me is getting the letter stating she is single ( embassy wont issue) while in Singapore its not needed

Note that marrying a Lao, outside of Laos, or a Lao Embassy, is not recognized in Laos.

I use to be in a similar situation. I was working in Thailand. Lao girlfriend to start was doing tourist visa runs every 30 days. Sometime she would get a 60 day (30+30) tourist visa from Vientiane. To marry in Lao there was many documents needed (and tea money) and after 9 months with about 60% of documents complete and baby already out we ended up getting married in Thailand at the local city hall which was a simple process. But she did need to get a letter from the Lao embassy and that was a process but not as bad as trying to marry in Lao. You should note, when in Lao its illegal to have sex with a Lao citizen unless your married. At our "Lao style" wedding in Lao the headman even told us to be careful as my GF was pregnant and I could be arrested. It seldom happens though. My wife has since been following my visa as dependant when I was on a B-visa and now as Non-O (retirement).

FYI, our marriage is recognized in Canada, Malaysia and of course here in Thailand. Never tried in Lao but probably, but wouldn't risk it as she could loose some of her Lao rights (e.g. owning land).

Edited by RBOP

I use to be in a similar situation. I was working in Thailand. Lao girlfriend to start was doing tourist visa runs every 30 days. Sometime she would get a 60 day (30+30) tourist visa from Vientiane. To marry in Lao there was many documents needed (and tea money) and after 9 months with about 60% of documents complete and baby already out we ended up getting married in Thailand at the local city hall which was a simple process. But she did need to get a letter from the Lao embassy and that was a process but not as bad as trying to marry in Lao. You should note, when in Lao its illegal to have sex with a Lao citizen unless your married. At our "Lao style" wedding in Lao the headman even told us to be careful as my GF was pregnant and I could be arrested. It seldom happens though. My wife has since been following my visa as dependant when I was on a B-visa and now as Non-O (retirement).

FYI, our marriage is recognized in Canada, Malaysia and of course here in Thailand. Never tried in Lao but probably, but wouldn't risk it as she could loose some of her Lao rights (e.g. owning land).

I've been in the same situation as the OP for that last 4-5 years and my GF has always managed to stay legal by doing 30-day border runs. It got a bit dicey after the Bangkok bomb, when the Cambodian border stopped doing them, which meant she had to make the much longer trip to the Laos border. Fortunately things are back to normal now and there don't seem to be any restrictions on how many border runs they can do.

She has a huge Lao extended family in Thailand. Some do 30-day runs like her, but most just stay here. Some have been here for 20 years! A few don't even have a passport and have overstayed on a 3-day border pass. When they go back to Laos they normally just pay a nominal fine (whatever the officer thinks he can get out of them) and they can return without problems. It will be interesting to see how this is affected by the new Overstay penalties which are supposedly being implemented in March. Their attutude is they are just for "farang" - Laos people are "same same" Thai people!

I plan to marry my GF so she can stay as my dependant, but as others have said, it isn't easy for foreigners to marry Lao citizens, especially as we have a 10-month old son. I'd be most interested in how RBOP got an Affirmation to Marry letter from the Lao Embassy in Thailand, as I thought this involved jumping through the same hoops and red tape as marrying in Laos. My plan is to marry in the UK (or Hong Kong). Although it won't be recognised in Laos, we spend very little time there anyway and a bottle of whiskey to the Headman usually means my stays in her tiny village are uneventful.

Why is it weird,it is another country,you know.

Why is it weird,it is another country,you know.

Well, it's an ASEAN country so there are bilateral arrangements and Lao citizens can enter Thailand without a passport and stay 3 days...

• Like 1

As I said, the previous overstay penalty of 500 baht a day, up to 20,000 baht, was rarely applied to Lao overstayers. I would think the same will aply with the new penalties.