Requirement for my O-A visa

In a few more weeks my first year staying in Chiang Mai under an O-A multiple entry visa will expire.

To renew the same visa I need to present verifiable income.. In my case my USA SS income. No way will immigration just accept the SSA as letter as is? It needs a blessed from the USA consul? Thx for your help.

Yes you need the income certified by the US embassy.

If your visa hasn't yet expired you can do a border run to get another 1 year stay and don't need an extension of stay.

The visa date is the 'enter before' date printed on the visa.

Edited by elviajero

As elviajero stated, if it's still before the enter before date on the original visa, you can exit and re-enter the country before that date and you'll be stamped in for a year from the date of re-entry. You would then have no need to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement ("renew your visa", as you put it) for another year.

If you do decide to just apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement in country, you'll need a certified letter from the US embassy/consulate nearest you that states you meet the income requirements (if that's the criteria by which you are attempting to qualify.) That letter will cost $50 US.

Much easier, IMO, to just leave and come back to get the extra year....especially when one considers you'd be dealing with the mess that is Chiang Mai Immigration.

Edited by TheAppletons

OMG! This is an amazing news! Especially since I am in Mexico right now.. I left Thailand November 10..and will be arriving in BKK on January 22. My one-year is stamped "enter before February 6, 2016 "

It's

this easy? Wow.

• If you arrive on Jan 22nd you'll be granted a new permit to stay until Jan 21st 2017.
  • If you want to leave/return during the next year you'll need to buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) as the visa will have expired. When you re-enter the IO uses the re-entry permit and stamps you back in until the Jan 21st 2017.
  • If you travel a lot you can buy a multiple re-enter permit for 3,800 baht.