Bowie in Bangkok: legend captured in documentary visiting 80s go-go bar

webfact

Bowie in Bangkok: legend captured in documentary visiting 80s go-go bar
By Coconuts Bangkok

david_bowie_0.jpg
In a 1984 documentary “Ricochet,” David Bowie visits a Bangkok go-go bar.

BANGKOK: -- Following the passing of superstar David Bowie, we’d like to remember his greatness and talent with a video that followed him as he visited 80s Bangkok on the Asia leg of his “Serious Moonlight” tour.

In a 1984 documentary “Ricochet,” Bowie journeyed to the Far East and indulges himself in Bangkok’s notorious red light district, where he also encounters a strange shadowy figure.

The film shows Bowie exploring the cities of Bangkok, Hong Kong and Singapore, and includes a typically bizarre angle as a dark sinister figure in sunglasses follows David wherever he goes.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/12/bowie-bangkok-legend-captured-documentary-visiting-80s-go-go-bar-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-12

The Night David Bowie Fell to Bangkok
By Todd Ruiz
Editor

14525765911452577226l.jpg
A still from the video to David Bowie's 'Ricochet.'

BANGKOK — It’s unsurprising that David Bowie, who died Sunday at 69, would have felt an affinity with Bangkok.

After all, the man who for decades shocked and seduced the world with gender-bending polysexuality did so long before labels such as LGBT or awareness – much less acceptance – of transexualism existed. The unlikely part is that we’re left with an innuendo-heavy anecdote of the Thin White Duke’s own night in Bangkok.

It was December 1983. “Let’s Dance” was overwhelming the radio spectrum, and Bowie came to Thailand in the final days of his Serious Moonlight Tour, the longest of his career. On Father’s Day, Dec. 5, he brought his show to the Thai Army Sports Stadium. As the story goes, apocryphal or not, a 35-year-old Bowie went off the grid from his tour and turned up at the place of a legendary Bangkok courtesan, according to the current owner of a long-time nightlife venue.

“He went missing during the Serious Moonlight Tour in Bangkok. Turned up in Mama Noi’s kitchen wearing happy pants and a big smile,” said Chris Catto-Smith, owner of Check Inn 99. “She refuses to talk about him … except to say he was a nice boy.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1452576591

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-12

Alas, Mama Noi has retired. But what a legendary character. If you've seen the famous photo of her with Bob Hope in the '60s you'll know that she was quite the smokin' babe back then. And I have no doubt that she would have charmed Mr. Bowie 20 years later.

At 2:57 Bowie enters the Super Star A Go-Go Bar on Pat Pong road about 3 years before the Pat Pong night bazaar started

At the time the Super Star bar was the most happening Go-Go Bar in Bangkok....when Go-Go girl dancers actually Go-Go danced with genuine energy rather than the lazy bar girl shuffle they do now.

A couple of the Go-Go dancers look familiar...if you know what I mean...lol

Brings back great memories when there was an air of intrigue and mystery about Bangkok while one could visit Lucy's Tiger Den on Suriwong Road and start the evening off before heading across the road to Pat Pong road and all the Go-Go bars

There in the presence of the owner of Lucy's Tiger Den, Tiger Rydberg, a retired Iron Worker, you would often find yourself mixing and mingling in the company of retired or active CIA personal or former Military Operatives and various foreign Embassy personal while the rest were a mix of Iron workers and construction workers and construction project bosses and Oil drillers and Oil executives and lots of wannabe adventurist, along with real and or imagined mercenaries all swapping stories about their exploits and adventures around South East Asia.

The early 1980's was the end of an era while many TV members will know well what I speak of.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

At 2:57 Bowie enters the Super Star A Go-Go Bar on Pat Pong road about 3 years before the Pat Pong night bazaar started

At the time the Super Star bar was the most happening Go-Go Bar in Bangkok....when Go-Go girl dancers actually Go-Go danced with genuine energy rather than the lazy bar girl shuffle they do now.

A couple of the Go-Go dancers look familiar...if you know what I mean...lol

Brings back great memories when there was an air of intrigue and mystery about Bangkok while one could visit Lucy's Tiger Den on Suriwong Road and start the evening off before heading across the road to Pat Pong road and all the Go-Go bars

There in the presence of the owner of Lucy's Tiger Den, Tiger Rydberg, a retired Iron Worker, you would often find yourself mixing and mingling in the company of retired or active CIA personal or former Military Operatives and various foreign Embassy personal while the rest were a mix of Iron workers and construction workers and construction project bosses and Oil drillers and Oil executives and lots of wannabe adventurist, along with real and or imagined mercenaries all swapping stories about their exploits and adventures around South East Asia.

The early 1980's was the end of an era while many TV members will know well what I speak of.

Cheers

I only started making it to Thailand early 90's but it was still close to what you are saying. Used to spend Friday nights bouncing back and forth between Super Stars and Gold Fingers, depending who was in town. It was a amazing back then. As you said a big mix of guys and they were the real deal, not like now days when everyone and their brother is MI6, Seal, ranger etc.

You get the oil guys that have cash to spend and just keep ringing the bell all night, wake up in the morning and dont know who's room you are in. The girls were much better back then I think, not so money hungry and acted more like a girl friend, sure you would get a gold digger now and then, but the other girls would typically warn you of them. Never worried about being drugged or anything like that.

I was in my late 20's at the time so I had a great time. Pat pong is nothing like it used to be, I used to stay at Pavilion so I never had to go far. Not the best place, but it was cheap and clean.

Alas, Mama Noi has retired. But what a legendary character. If you've seen the famous photo of her with Bob Hope in the '60s you'll know that she was quite the smokin' babe back then. And I have no doubt that she would have charmed Mr. Bowie 20 years later.

I have seen the whole documentary and whilst I am not going to pretend I know anything with absolute certainty, doubt the seedier side of LOS would have appealed to him. I do know that Thailand didn't leave him with the same fascination as Japan did (he lived in Kyoto for a year 1980-81), and having lived in both countries for 21 years could probably make a fairly good stab at guessing why that was...

All the young guys there today see it with the same eyes we old gits saw it with 20 plus years ago.

True enough...but when the differences are explained to them they come to realise they missed out on something that they wished they had being around to see and experienced also while they also realise that near everyone and thier dog has come to Thailand since then ..so they are late comers and missed out on what everyone agrees was the best era...before Thailand was spoilt...as many believe .... and stated as such.

Myself......I stil think it is just fine ....enough to keep me here and into the future ..as uncertain as it may be

Cheers

All the young guys there today see it with the same eyes we old gits saw it with 20 plus years ago.

True enough...but when the differences are explained to them they come to realise they missed out on something that they wished they had being around to see and experienced also while they also realise that near everyone and thier dog has come to Thailand since then ..so they are late comers and missed out on what everyone agrees was the best era...before Thailand was spoilt...as many believe .... and stated as such.

Myself......I stil think it is just fine ....enough to keep me here and into the future ..as uncertain as it may be

Cheers

Not sure if it's the right expression;

Everything changes but everything stays the same.

Must agree with you that things were a lot more relaxed back then, not so many of the 'girls' had that hard look in the eyes I see now, maybe I notice it because I'm older and can I say wiser?

Anyway I enjoyed it and as they say lived to tell the tale.

Still in contact with some people I met then and dare I say it we contact by 'phone' still.