where is there a decent weights gym in pattaya / jomtien

dirtycash

i will maybe be staying around pratumnak area, i can travel so anywhere in these areas i need a good weights gym, pull up machines, plenty free weights and smith machine. i have ruled tonys out.

advice please. thanks

PS...any tennis clubs in pattaya ? anywhere i can play tennis with a coach.

Edited by dirtycash

Hardbody Gym, Soi 3 Beach Road Jomtien. 3 floors of more weights than you will need Smiths machine, Leg press, Squat racks, pull up bars.Olympic weights bars etc., Cheap membership. No Air Con just fans. I prefer this to pussy gyms with lycra tarts mincing on rows of running machines.

The gear is old but a dumb bell is a dumb bell.

Hardbody Gym, Soi 3 Beach Road Jomtien. 3 floors of more weights than you will need Smiths machine, Leg press, Squat racks, pull up bars.Olympic weights bars etc., Cheap membership. No Air Con just fans. I prefer this to pussy gyms with lycra tarts mincing on rows of running machines.

The gear is old but a dumb bell is a dumb bell.

LOL. You couldn't be more wrong about dumbbells (even the spelling smile.png). There's a world of difference between dumbbells ranging from absolute junk to fine pieces of equipment and everything in between. At Tony's for example, they're falling apart, which is dangerous.

The OP's best bet is to try the Fitz Club at Royal Cliff Hotel as it also has a tennis club. It's more of a "pussy gyms with lycra tarts" type of gym, but it's quiet most of the day due to it's high price, so it's unlikely he'll be seeing many tarts in there. The equipment is good and the cardio machines are top notch. Best of all it's well air conditioned and very clean.

Edited by tropo

fairtex is out too, i was enquiring about muay thai yesterday and got an email from them, the price of a 1 hour group session is - 800 baht !!! wont be near it.

Well you didn't include you were looking for a "free" gym to workout in...proper equipment and experienced trainers cost money. laugh.png

Sport Point off Soi 54 off Sukumvit (not spelled right I know) one year membership is about 9000 baht which does not include use of the Sauna. Has a good weight room, Equipment is nice almost new; a nice pool, some decent cardio equipment. Locker room sucks! Has a boxing ring and boxing instruction. You can use it by the day, week, month or year! Was a member there last year!

WOooooooosh there goes another Dumb joke of mine right over the heads of TV people (OK maybe not a good one)...A dumb bell is just that, it does not make a noise.....it is silent, shhhh. I always forget these days irony and sarcasm is totally lost on the younger generation and almost all Americans.

I was trying to remember how many times I have answered the same OP question on TV. I think it is at least 3 to 4 times over the years, and guess what? every one that posts on here with answers knows a better swankier more professional gym .....

I have only one thing to add. The gym under View Talay residence is run under a regime that is paranoid about cleaning down and disinfecting everything you have just touched and don't you dare even think about leaving a piece of equipment down for more than 5 seconds without using it or replacing it on the racks....I was a member for 1 month only and binned the place. I don't need some midget Thai tart running after my ass tellling me I missed one speck of sweat on a bench I just used....... Mental ! or what?

Dirtycash, your dilemma is one all of us expats face. Since California Wow closed down mid 2012, there hasn't been a good gym in town. Tony has saturated the market with mediocrity (or worse - just being polite) and making it impossible for a decent gym to get a foothold in town.

I don't like training in dumps. That's something I used to do when in my 20's. I tried for years to train at Tony's. I'm even a lifetime member, but I've given up trying. All the other places mentioned are dumps pretending to be gyms. They have no concept of what good gyms are. I'm envious when I see the gyms people train at back at home these days - for very reasonable prices.

The only places which are decent are some hotel gyms, like the one I mentioned above, unfortunately they are not heavy duty and very limited in free weights and very expensive for what they are. For example, Fitz Club charges 39K per year. I'd pay that to train at a Gold's Gym, but not a hotel gym. However it is certainly good enough for most levels of training if you don't mind paying the cash and they have a great pool area and tennis courts.

WOooooooosh there goes another Dumb joke of mine right over the heads of TV people (OK maybe not a good one)...A dumb bell is just that, it does not make a noise.....it is silent, shhhh. I always forget these days irony and sarcasm is totally lost on the younger generation and almost all Americans.

IF that was meant as a joke, you're a lousy comedian. Don't blame the audience for not laughing.

Edited by tropo

It seems that you dunno prs fitness, better than standard hotel gym...

Dirtycash, your dilemma is one all of us expats face. Since California Wow closed down mid 2012, there hasn't been a good gym in town. Tony has saturated the market with mediocrity (or worse - just being polite) and making it impossible for a decent gym to get a foothold in town.

I don't like training in dumps. That's something I used to do when in my 20's. I tried for years to train at Tony's. I'm even a lifetime member, but I've given up trying. All the other places mentioned are dumps pretending to be gyms. They have no concept of what good gyms are. I'm envious when I see the gyms people train at back at home these days - for very reasonable prices.

The only places which are decent are some hotel gyms, like the one I mentioned above, unfortunately they are not heavy duty and very limited in free weights and very expensive for what they are. For example, Fitz Club charges 39K per year. I'd pay that to train at a Gold's Gym, but not a hotel gym. However it is certainly good enough for most levels of training if you don't mind paying the cash and they have a great pool area and tennis courts.

It seems that you dunno prs fitness, better than standard hotel gym...

I don't refer to hotel gyms as dumps. They serve their purpose, but are generally way overpriced and can't handle a large volume of members. The PRS Fitness looks like a nice, well equipped hotel gym (going on their Facebook pics). Being in Naklua, the location would be quite inconvenient for someone living on Pratunmak Hill though.

What do they charge?

Tony's does cheap lifetime memberships one day a year. Do it!

He makes a killing out of these cheap lifetime membership sales, but most people probably only use them for a month or two and then quit, once they experience the joy of training at Tony's. If all the lifetime members trained regularly, you wouldn't be able to move in there.