Anyone Bought New Nissan X-Trail Hybrid...Thoughts and Impressions?

Pretty much said it all in the Headline...I'm looking at the top-line hybrid model for possible purchase and if anyone has any comments and impressions from their own ownership it would be appreciated. The petrol version has been well received by the automotive press but no real reviews yet of the hybrid version in English as it doesn't seem to be available outside selected Asian markets.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just does not go. 80 motor scream but not go . Its mean safety does't much, mean when overtaking on the road with one lane.

PS

Manager say have guarantee ??10 yaers??? for battery...rolleyes.gif

Edited by ardokano

It just does not go. 80 motor scream but not go . Its mean safety does't much, mean when overtaking on the road with one lane.

PS

Manager say have guarantee ??10 yaers??? for battery...rolleyes.gif

Thank you for an unintelligible DELETED post.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Thank you for an unintelligible and useless post.

Are You welcomewink.png

Sorry

In my opinion slow acceleration, even 80km/h engean to loud.

Manager say have guarantee 10 year for battery !!!

in my opinion(I had the experience of owner hybrid lexus RX) this is very important thinks because the high cost of batteries

In my lexus it change almast after 2.5 year. But it use in another climat where have -30 degrees or more some times and ofcouse it affected for battery, but in hot climat not sure can much longer .

And if realy have guarantee 10 y it very good

becouse i guess have few reason buy hybrid car

1. Its Low cost per km fuel

2. quiet

SO

1 If battery guaranty 10 year its fine

2 So X-Trail NOT quiet even 80 km/h

Sorry

just my thoughts

Now I'll choose a car, and look Nisann too. just Today had test drive X-Trailwai.gif

Thank you for an unintelligible and useless post.

Are You welcomewink.png

Sorry

In my opinion slow acceleration, even 80km/h engean to loud.

Manager say have guarantee 10 year for battery !!!

in my opinion(I had the experience of owner hybrid lexus RX) this is very important thinks because the high cost of batteries

In my lexus it change almast after 2.5 year. But it use in another climat where have -30 degrees or more some times and ofcouse it affected for battery, but in hot climat not sure can much longer .

And if realy have guarantee 10 y it very good

becouse i guess have few reason buy hybrid car

1. Its Low cost per km fuel

2. quiet

SO

1 If battery guaranty 10 year its fine

2 So X-Trail NOT quiet even 80 km/h

Sorry

just my thoughts

Now I'll choose a car, and look Nisann too. just Today had test drive X-Trailwai.gif

Ok...thank you for this new information and your opinion. I understand that you think the car is under-powered, with slow acceleration, and you are concerned about the battery life in a hybrid vehicle.

Unfortunately, due to the tax rates on engine size, most cars in Thailand are "under-powered." You probably feel this more than me because you have owned a Lexus SUV in another country. I have lived here over a decade and bought and driven two "under-powered" vehicles already so am used to this. So the power and acceleration of the X-Trail hybrid will feel "normal" to me.

Yes, Nissan gives a 10 year warranty for the hybrid's battery. What I understand is that if the battery fails to charge to certain percentages over time they will replace it. Of course, if it fails completely it will be replaced. Ten years is a standard warranty for batteries in hybrid vehicles so I don't see a problem with it. Neither the extreme cold climate you experienced with your Lexus nor Thailand's extreme hot and humid climate is ideal for a battery but it is what it is...can't be changed. Also, hybrid vehicles have been around in Thailand for years now and I have not heard about any major problems with the batteries...the technology is pretty well advanced now.

As for sound levels not being quiet, again, maybe the Lexus spoiled you. I guess again it is what you are used to. I would think a hybrid vehicle would be more quiet than a standard one because the engine would not have to work as hard because of the energy from the electric motor. Maybe the sound insulation is not so good in the vehicle. In any case, I will see if it is better than the 15 year old Honda CRV I currently drive.

I will test drive the X-Trail today or tomorrow and see what I think wai2.gif

I'm also interested in the X-Trail so any thoughts and impressions would be welcome.... I won't be going for the Hybrid as the battery pack takes up the space where the 2 small back seats fold down for the 7 seater option.

At the moment I have a Chevy Captiva, not a bad car but I'm fed up with the dealers wretched customer service and technical incompetence.

Might take a wander down to Nissan today, with 2 dealers in Pattaya does anyone know if one is "better" than the other?

So I did test drive the hybrid x-trail today from the Nissan dealer down by the Ambassador hotel. It's primarily a straight-line test as you just go up and down a stretch of sukhumvit road. Contrary to some, I found the acceleration to be perfectly adequate...but as I said, I'm used to driving Thai spec vehicles. The noise level inside the cabin was quiet, both tire road noise and general ambient traffic noise...but I'm comparing to my 15 year old CRV.

A couple observations...the visibility is not as good as my CRV, due to the smaller and more rounded window shapes. But this is the case with all new vehicles now...style before practically. Also, some of the equipment choices really burn me. Like on the top spec hybrid x-trail, the center mirror is a smallish basic affair, whereas on the top spec Navarra pickup has a larger auto-dimming mirror for safer nite time driving.

Overall, however, I liked the drive of the x-trail and it's at the top of my list for a new drive for the new year.

As for dealers, there are also nissan dealers up in Sri Rachael and Bangsean area, which are just a short 20-30 minute drive up the road. The current offer is all the usual stuff, plus free 3 year oil and filter changes, and a 60k discount off list price.

to OP - have you considered the current CRV and if not what is the reason as it gets super reviews and after the minor change in 2015 is well equipped ? I am in the line for the CRV but have to see the old one first - fyi Honda Pattaya offers the stock cars for the lower 2015 price

to OP - have you considered the current CRV and if not what is the reason as it gets super reviews and after the minor change in 2015 is well equipped ? I am in the line for the CRV but have to see the old one first - fyi Honda Pattaya offers the stock cars for the lower 2015 price

I'm just not a fan of the design...especially the inside ? That awkward dual screen set up Honda uses on its vehicles these days is just whack. It's also more expensive and no hybrid. Nissan, being the third house in a 3 horse Japanese race has to try harder and usually gives it's buyers a bit more for less money.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Regarding "no real reviews yet of the hybrid version in English", for what it is worth there have been some brief reviews of the hybrid model in the Bangkok paper that prefers not to be mentioned. There was something on November 17 and then also December 7. Have a go on google and you should find it.

Regarding "no real reviews yet of the hybrid version in English", for what it is worth there have been some brief reviews of the hybrid model in the Bangkok paper that prefers not to be mentioned. There was something on November 17 and then also December 7. Have a go on google and you should find it.

Yes, I've seen those. But I was hoping for something from maybe Australia or even Malaysia (Paul Tan) but not seen anything yet...just the petrol version reviewed and the hybrid announcement PR stuff. I've seen some reviews from Japan but they're only in Japanese ?

Yes, I've seen those. But I was hoping for something from maybe Australia or even Malaysia (Paul Tan) but not seen anything yet...just the petrol version reviewed and the hybrid announcement PR stuff. I've seen some reviews from Japan but they're only in Japanese ?

No worries, just thought I would point them out in case you had not spotted them. I don't think the hybrid is in Australia yet as I think they have only recently released the diesel.

Similar to en earlier poster I am a victim of excessive breeding so the loss of the 7 seat option on the hybrid puts it out of my area of interest. Think from memory it is also CVT transmission which just as a personal thing I don't particularly like. I do like the look of the new X-trail though, and have some experience with the old model as project cars (not in Thailand) which was all fine.

No worries, just thought I would point them out in case you had not spotted them. I don't think the hybrid is in Australia yet as I think they have only recently released the diesel.

Similar to en earlier poster I am a victim of excessive breeding so the loss of the 7 seat option on the hybrid puts it out of my area of interest. Think from memory it is also CVT transmission which just as a personal thing I don't particularly like. I do like the look of the new X-trail though, and have some experience with the old model as project cars (not in Thailand) which was all fine.

I believe you would probably be the perpetrator, not victim :P

I believe you would probably be the perpetrator, not victim tongue.png

victim of somebody taking seriously what was only poked at them in fun!!

Ok...thank you for this new information and your opinion. I understand that you think the car is under-powered, with slow acceleration, and you are concerned about the battery life in a hybrid vehicle.

Unfortunately, due to the tax rates on engine size, most cars in Thailand are "under-powered." You probably feel this more than me because you have owned a Lexus SUV in another country. I have lived here over a decade and bought and driven two "under-powered" vehicles already so am used to this. So the power and acceleration of the X-Trail hybrid will feel "normal" to me.

Yes, Nissan gives a 10 year warranty for the hybrid's battery. What I understand is that if the battery fails to charge to certain percentages over time they will replace it. Of course, if it fails completely it will be replaced. Ten years is a standard warranty for batteries in hybrid vehicles so I don't see a problem with it. Neither the extreme cold climate you experienced with your Lexus nor Thailand's extreme hot and humid climate is ideal for a battery but it is what it is...can't be changed. Also, hybrid vehicles have been around in Thailand for years now and I have not heard about any major problems with the batteries...the technology is pretty well advanced now.

As for sound levels not being quiet, again, maybe the Lexus spoiled you. I guess again it is what you are used to. I would think a hybrid vehicle would be more quiet than a standard one because the engine would not have to work as hard because of the energy from the electric motor. Maybe the sound insulation is not so good in the vehicle. In any case, I will see if it is better than the 15 year old Honda CRV I currently drive.

Agaime my 2 cents

1. In world its practic 8 years an 100k miles(160k km)

2. Guarantty Replacing the batteries usually is when the lamp lights up or (and) stops charging the batteries.

Usually lights up when down more than 0.5 V in one of batterie , stop charging battery usually than down more 1V in one or more batteries.

And even you have near 30% capacity its not reason for guaranty( its my experionce past 3 year ago, ofcouse may be some change, but i do not think)

3. Hybrid VS 2.5 L its 5 l/100km VS 8.3 l/100km difference 3.3 liter

Guaranty usualy cover 160k km its difference 5280 l gas, how much is price New battery in Thailand and cost work for replacing? if it near 130k bath its only simular cost with 2.5l

4. If you replacing batteries you do no need forget about specific in Thailand quality service. Sorry but its hard reality.

5. I Now in Thailand , and look New car so when I'm talking about the loud and slow comparison with local market model( Everest, Pajero Sport, Fortuner)

yes its maybe near 10 sec to 100 km, but after? and in my filling X-Trail its fast 0-50,60km but after acceleration comes down. and 100-130 it be near ' 0'.

I do not know for you, but for me it is very important
because overtaking takes place at speeds of 80-120.
6. When you cheking cost used cars( i guess this is reason why you look at hybrid car)
not forget how much lost Nissan on second hand market.
Examle
And last
Honda CR-V have front and real disk brakes
If its 2 L manual so 0- 100 km less than 10 seconds or near
wink.png
I do not know about Thailand market but for japan market have 180-degree swivel front passenger seat.
So better or not its need look what you need from car.
New its not evry time be better.
For example for my needs Toyota LC 200 not better than Toyota LC 100 and ofcouse not 105
Becouse Lost offroand quality just had 1 dif and many electrical fuction. Not comfort sit for tall people.
Prado 150 for me not better Prado 120 becouse in my opinion( and not just my) down qulity interier
Lost soft confort on the offroads for the sake of better handling on the highway. 150 heavier so did stiffer suspension, and added electronic assistant to meet the standards of the United States
Sorry for long post
and my poor English
Best regards
And wish you enjoy any car what you choosethumbsup.gifwai.gif
Edited by ardokano

I'm just not a fan of the design...especially the inside ? That awkward dual screen set up Honda uses on its vehicles these days is just whack. It's also more expensive and no hybrid. Nissan, being the third house in a 3 horse Japanese race has to try harder and usually gives it's buyers a bit more for less money.

The crv will use quite a bit more fuel too. The x-trail looks a good deal. But if the price gets close to 1.4M I'd look at the new pjs, especially if I needed 7 seats

Agaime my 2 cents

1. In world its practic 8 years an 100k miles(160k km)

2. Guarantty Replacing the batteries usually is when the lamp lights up or (and) stops charging the batteries.

Usually lights up when down more than 0.5 V in one of batterie , stop charging battery usually than down more 1V in one or more batteries.

And even you have near 30% capacity its not reason for guaranty( its my experionce past 3 year ago, ofcouse may be some change, but i do not think)

3. Hybrid VS 2.5 L its 5 l/100km VS 8.3 l/100km difference 3.3 liter

Guaranty usualy cover 160k km its difference 5280 l gas, how much is price New battery in Thailand and cost work for replacing? if it near 130k bath its only simular cost with 2.5l

4. If you replacing batteries you do no need forget about specific in Thailand quality service. Sorry but its hard reality.

5. I Now in Thailand , and look New car so when I'm talking about the loud and slow comparison with local market model( Everest, Pajero Sport, Fortuner)

yes its maybe near 10 sec to 100 km, but after? and in my filling X-Trail its fast 0-50,60km but after acceleration comes down. and 100-130 it be near ' 0'.

I do not know for you, but for me it is very important

because overtaking takes place at speeds of 80-120.

6. When you cheking cost used cars( i guess this is reason why you look at hybrid car)

not forget how much lost Nissan on second hand market.

Examle

9 month loost 200k baht X-Trail 2.5 L

And last

Honda CR-V have front and real disk brakes

If its 2 L manual so 0- 100 km less than 10 seconds or near

wink.png

I do not know about Thailand market but for japan market have 180-degree swivel front passenger seat.

So better or not its need look what you need from car.

New its not evry time be better.

For example for my needs Toyota LC 200 not better than Toyota LC 100 and ofcouse not 105

Becouse Lost offroand quality just had 1 dif and many electrical fuction. Not comfort sit for tall people.

Prado 150 for me not better Prado 120 becouse in my opinion( and not just my) down qulity interier

Lost soft confort on the offroads for the sake of better handling on the highway. 150 heavier so did stiffer suspension, and added electronic assistant to meet the standards of the United States

Sorry for long post

and my poor English

Best regards

And wish you enjoy any car what you choosethumbsup.gifwai.gif

Thank you for your opinion...more information is always better. For me, I ink the acceleration will be enough...I will just make sure to have plenty of clear road ahead of me ?

About the battery, it is mature technology now so not really worried about a failure. The batteries now have electronics that manage battery charge and discharge to maintain long battery life. The cost to replace a battery in US is about 30-50k baht so I imagine around the same in Thailand.

The X-Trail does not have all disc-brakes...this I did not know. I will check the specs or ask the dealer. For depreciation, this happens with all new cars so nothing can be done, unless I buy used and not new. But no used hybrid X-trails yet.

In Thailand there is not too much choice so have to make many compromises. ?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The crv will use quite a bit more fuel too. The x-trail looks a good deal. But if the price gets close to 1.4M I'd look at the new pjs, especially if I needed 7 seats
So that still hasn't changed...my 15 year old one drinks petrol as if I was a middle eastern sheik or something!

The Pajero, Trailblazer, and Tuna are too big, I don't need 7seat capability, and I'm looking for a more car-like ride.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

So that still hasn't changed...my 15 year old one drinks petrol as if I was a middle eastern sheik or something!

The Pajero, Trailblazer, and Tuna are too big, I don't need 7seat capability, and I'm looking for a more car-like ride.

I think the modern honda engines (the 2.0) is a bit better than the old crv - tht was about 8 km/l in town. I have a 2.0 honda civic and it get about 10 km/l, but its worse now as there is more traffic around. I'm aware the x-trail has a 10 year warranty on the battery, so no problems there. Not sure I'd want to keep a car more than 10 year again....costs add up even if you don't drive it. Didn't know about the discs..I think you shoudl check on it..I think it must have....they have all the other safety equipment...pity there is not 6 airbags...just has 4. Acceleration should be fine when the electric motor kicks in.

I've driven by bil's older pjs and I don't find it too large to drive (compared to my honda). Only if you live in town it might be a bit of a pain.

Thank you for your opinion...more information is always better. For me, I ink the acceleration will be enough...I will just make sure to have plenty of clear road ahead of me ?

About the battery, it is mature technology now so not really worried about a failure. The batteries now have electronics that manage battery charge and discharge to maintain long battery life. The cost to replace a battery in US is about 30-50k baht so I imagine around the same in Thailand.

The X-Trail does not have all disc-brakes...this I did not know. I will check the specs or ask the dealer. For depreciation, this happens with all new cars so nothing can be done, unless I buy used and not new. But no used hybrid X-trails yet.

Ah, yes in Thailand poor choice.

In US i hear 30k-50k bath its not from diller price. Its use out ervice and use batteries from china or self refurbish.

If from diller and original brand it still cost US $3-5 k .

And in my expirience in Thailand for many thinks higher price.

So i guess need ask first how much is it.

Batteries have electronics long time past ago from startwink.png

And ofcouse give batteries more long life, battery in my videocamera not use as long in my car.

Have checking temperature, have checking amperage and many another thinks.

But its have terms of use and hot climat harmful to the battery.

I did not like the acceleration after 80 km per hour. That's why I did not ask about the cost of battery replacement and warranty terms.

Now I'm looking for where I can take a test 2.5L, because the dealer where i test hybrid is not have 2.5 for the test.

Realy hard to choose in Thailand car for reasonable price .

And I'm tired of diesel car and i need GPS ( but i don like ugly phone holders) - that Why NOT Everest.

I have expirience poor qulity with Fortuner and i still need space for my tall friend( in new fortuner in rear seats my head near touch the ceiling of the carblink.png ) - so that why not New Fortuner.

And for me rear side New Pajero Sport look uglybah.gif . so Not PS

X-Trail disaine its nice for me, just visibility not enough and not nice consol near shift gear.

And still Have CR-V but higher price

May be i need look sedan.

Becouse now I think for me no nee realy big space for a large space for luggage

Or go look second hand import car

Cheers!!wai.gif

Edited by ardokano

Ah, yes in Thailand poor choice.

In US i hear 30k-50k bath its not from diller price. Its use out ervice and use batteries from china or self refurbish.

If from diller and original brand it still cost US $3-5 k .

And in my expirience in Thailand for many thinks higher price.

So i guess need ask first how much is it.

Batteries have electronics long time past ago from startwink.png

And ofcouse give batteries more long life, battery in my videocamera not use as long in my car.

Have checking temperature, have checking amperage and many another thinks.

But its have terms of use and hot climat harmful to the battery.

I did not like the acceleration after 80 km per hour. That's why I did not ask about the cost of battery replacement and warranty terms.

Now I'm looking for where I can take a test 2.5L, because the dealer where i test hybrid is not have 2.5 for the test.

Realy hard to choose in Thailand car for reasonable price .

And I'm tired of diesel car and i need GPS ( but i don like ugly phone holders) - that Why NOT Everest.

I have expirience poor qulity with Fortuner and i still need space for my tall friend( in new fortuner in rear seats my head near touch the ceiling of the carblink.png ) - so that why not New Fortuner.

And for me rear side New Pajero Sport look uglybah.gif . so Not PS

X-Trail disaine its nice for me, just visibility not enough and not nice consol near shift gear.

And still Have CR-V but higher price

May be i need look sedan.

Becouse now I think for me no nee realy big space for a large space for luggage

Or go look second hand import car

Cheers!!wai.gif

I agree with you the outside visibility is poor on the XTrail, I noticed this as soon as I got in for the test drive. You are sitting high up but the smallish side and rear windows, combined with the small inside and outside mirrors made seeing outside and around the vehicle less than ideal. I guess now you're supposed to use the cameras for everything ?

I didn't get to test the acceleration over 80 kph because of the traffic on Sukhumvit test loop. From a stop at a light to 70-80 seemed fine, however. Maybe I will try to test again from 80 to 110/120.

The top spec hybrid I'd xtrail has English GPS navigation as standard and Bluetooth phone and music Co nection as standard so that is good.

Agree the console near the shifter and the shifter itself is not the best. The shift knob feels light and cheap plastic. But at least the audio and aircon controls are clean design and easy to use. The steering wheel design and grip is also good.

I am interested to hear you view if you test the petrol 2.5 xtrail.

Have you considered the Mazda CX-5? The diesel gets pretty good FE..

How about the Subaru XV for that matter?

Edited by IMHO

I'm just not a fan of the design...especially the inside That awkward dual screen set up Honda uses on its vehicles these days is just whack. It's also more expensive and no hybrid. Nissan, being the third house in a 3 horse Japanese race has to try harder and usually gives it's buyers a bit more for less money.

CX-5 diesel is a great car. Engine is a little noisy at idle but that's a diesel trait.

Interior is best in it's class.

As for the XV. Horrid cheap interior and drives like a boat. The engine isn't responsive paired with the cvt. Why they didn't throw the turbo flat 4 in it is beyond reason.

My friend had one and got rid of it within 5 months and bought a Jazz. It was that bad.

I'm just not a fan of the design...especially the inside That awkward dual screen set up Honda uses on its vehicles these days is just whack. It's also more expensive and no hybrid. Nissan, being the third house in a 3 horse Japanese race has to try harder and usually gives it's buyers a bit more for less money.

CX-5 diesel is a great car. Engine is a little noisy at idle but that's a diesel trait.

As for the XV. Horrid cheap interior and drives like a boat. The engine isn't responsive paired with the cvt. Why they didn't throw the turbo flat 4 in it is beyond reason.

My friend had one and got rid of it within 5 months and bought a Jazz. It was that bad.

As for the CX5, don't fancy a diesel. I've had them before and they are OK for those who need them but for this vehicle I want a petrol or hybrid. I also don't find the interior to be "best in class" and many of the bits and parts are rather cheap. I guess some people are impressed by the pseudo BMW iDrive controls for the audio and navi interface. Does the Thai spec come with the 5" screen...the xtrail top spec has 7".

Don't know what an "XV" is...what are you referring to...the X1/3, xtrail, crv, or something else?

As for the CX5, don't fancy a diesel. I've had them before and they are OK for those who need them but for this vehicle I want a petrol or hybrid. I also don't find the interior to be "best in class" and many of the bits and parts are rather cheap. I guess some people are impressed by the pseudo BMW iDrive controls for the audio and navi interface. Does the Thai spec come with the 5" screen...the xtrail top spec has 7".

Don't know what an "XV" is...what are you referring to...the X1/3, xtrail, crv, or something else?

XV is the Subaru crossover. Lets never speak of it again. :)

XV is the Subaru crossover. Lets never speak of it again. smile.png

Fair call if one of us mentioned Craptiva biggrin.png

For the money, the XV at least makes a case.

For 999k it sounds good but that's the trap.

It's priced so people take the gamble.

In saying that, they hold their value quite well. 2 year old ones still fetch 800k second hand.

All of that aside, it's pretty hard to ignore the X-Trail Hybrid's value proposition... There's a fair amount of "forgiveness money" there wink.png

Yes. and strill have 2.5 benzine engine.rolleyes.gif

Just have one big minus its second hand sell price( lost cost)biggrin.png