Changing from Retirement Visa to Marriage Visa

Hey guys, did a search but the search function doesn't seem to be working.

I am currently on an Non-O Retirement extension of stay.

Next extension of stay falls due in October.

I want to change to a "marriage visa".

My questions are:

Can I apply for a marriage visa now or is it best to apply at the time my current "retirement" extension of stay is due to expire?

Am I able to simply apply at my local Immigration Office (Sakon Nakhon)?

Can anyone post a link to the current marriage visa requirements?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to change the reason for your extension to marriage from retirement you can do so in October. I suggest you check on the requirements nearer the time, but for now as a rough guide the requirements are:

• Cost: 1,900 baht
  • Form TM7
  • Your wife would need to be with you.
  • You can apply within the last 30 days (45 at some offices) of your current permission to stay.
  • Financial requirements: 400k in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the application date OR a minimum income (certified by embassy) of 40k pm.
  • Original and signed copies of your marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.
  • Signed copies of your wife's house book (Tabien Ban) and ID.
  • Maybe form TM30 completed by the owner/house-master of the address you stay at along with signed copies of their house book and ID.
  • Map showing where you live.
  • Photos of you and your wife at your address. One with the house number in the picture and others around the house.
  • Signed copies of your passport: Photo page, entry stamp, visa, departure card.
  • Maybe a witness.
  • Maybe they will want to do a home visit.

You can apply at the office that covers the area given as your address on the application

• Like 1

Thanks elviajero, the requirements you have outlined won't be a problem.

I assume I could do before October if I wanted to.

Also, I assume that I am not applying for a new visa but simply applying for an extension of stay based on the grounds of "marriage" rather than "retirement".

If you want to change the reason for your extension to marriage from retirement you can do so in October. I suggest you check on the requirements nearer the time, but for now as a rough guide the requirements are:

• Cost: 1,900 baht
  • Form TM7
  • Your wife would need to be with you.
  • You can apply within the last 30 days (45 at some offices) of your current permission to stay.
  • Financial requirements: 400k in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the application date OR a minimum income (certified by embassy) of 40k pm.
  • Original and signed copies of your marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.
  • Signed copies of your wife's house book (Tabien Ban) and ID.
  • Maybe form TM30 completed by the owner/house-master of the address you stay at along with signed copies of their house book and ID.
  • Map showing where you live.
  • Photos of you and your wife at your address. One with the house number in the picture and others around the house.
  • Signed copies of your passport: Photo page, entry stamp, visa, departure card.
  • Maybe a witness.
  • Maybe they will want to do a home visit.

You can apply at the office that covers the area given as your address on the application

Diffently need witness as 99% immigration will make a visit the first time. Also they will want 3 photos 3.5x5 of you and the wife about your house,one of these needs to show your house address in it. Depending on your immigration office you can apply up to 45 days early.

• Like 1

Not sure why one would want to change from the retirement visa to marriage. The retirement visa is much easier to do, especially if you use the proof of income method

Edited by jpinx

In Udon Thani I was told that I would have to get a Non O Visa in Vientianne if I wanted to switch from Retirement to Marriage extension of stay and then apply for the marriage extension. Would I not have to leave the country?

Was that near the end of your current extension. You can only do the change when your current one is ending.

Before that you would have to leave and get a new visa to do the change..

• Like 1

Not sure why one would want to change from the retirement visa to marriage. The retirement visa is much easier to do, especially if you use the proof of income method

Not if he no longer qualifies it is not.

The Marriage extension is not that difficult anyway.

• Like 2

Thanks elviajero, the requirements you have outlined won't be a problem.

I assume I could do before October if I wanted to.

Also, I assume that I am not applying for a new visa but simply applying for an extension of stay based on the grounds of "marriage" rather than "retirement".

• You will only be able to make the change within 30/45 days of when you current extension ends. You can't change the reason for the extension now and there would be no point.
  • Yes that's correct.
  • Like 1

In Udon Thani I was told that I would have to get a Non O Visa in Vientianne if I wanted to switch from Retirement to Marriage extension of stay and then apply for the marriage extension. Would I not have to leave the country?

Was that near the end of your current extension. You can only do the change when your current one is ending.

Not sure UbonJoe but it was probably before my Retirement extension ended as I was doing my 90 day report at the time.

Not sure UbonJoe but it was probably before my Retirement extension ended as I was doing my 90 day report at the time.

I think they told you to get a new visa because they thought you wanted to do it then.

I think if you went in prepared to apply for an extension based upon marriage instead of retirement they would do it if you did not have the financial requirements for retirement.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I think most of the issues swirling around my brain have been answered.

Jpinx, the reason for contemplating the change is my understanding that if I have an extension of stay based on marriage I can then "work" in the "family business" without a work permit. Would be very interested in any comments from forum members on that issue.

Thanks for all the replies, I think most of the issues swirling around my brain have been answered.

Jpinx, the reason for contemplating the change is my understanding that if I have an extension of stay based on marriage I can then "work" in the "family business" without a work permit. Would be very interested in any comments from forum members on that issue.

To work in the family business you would still need a work permit.

You could setup a partnership with you wife and get a work permit. It would require 1 million baht of registered capital.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe has beaten me to it so I will only say that you really need to talk to the Thai offices that deal with work permits in your area.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but when I switched from a marriage to a retirement

extension I rolled up at immigration a good three weeks before my

marriage extension expired in case their were any problems.

There were no problems, but they dated my new retirement extension from

the day of application, meaning I effectively lost three weeks in the mix.

No big deal, but if it works the same when switching from retirement to

marriage extension, perhaps best not to pitch up too early.

You appreciate, of course. that a marriage extension requires two visits,

which is a pain in the rectum if you live some distance away.

• Like 1

Which is why I said that the retirement visa is easier to do, especially if done by the income method if possible. A lot of embassies will do the confirmation letter by email/post, and it's only one visit to the immigration office -- unless you forget something ! ;)

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:04 PM, jpinx said:

agreed . . . . and especially since retirement will last until you die whereas marriage in thailand may not . . . .

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:21 AM, dick turpin said:

can you change your marriage visa to a retirement visa in-country???

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:47 AM, vincent13 said:

you will still need a work permit - it is just easier to obtain if youre on a marriage visa . . . . but why switch???? just opening a can of worms if you ask me . . . .

48 minutes ago, gentry said:

agreed . . . . and especially since retirement will last until you die whereas marriage in thailand may not . . . .

Why did you dig up a 15 month old topic to reply to.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why did you dig up a 15 month old topic to reply to.

well, i was actually looking for info about changing a marriage visa to a retirement visa and saw this guy was doing the opposite and just had to say something  . . . better late than never . . . .

Edited by gentry