Anonymous shuts down 297 Thai court websites

webfact

Anonymous shuts down 297 Thai court websites
By Coconuts Bangkok

anonymous_0_0.jpg
Hacker group Anonymous. Photo: Reuters

BANGKOK: -- Hacker group Anonymous has attacked and taken down hundreds of Thai court websites in retaliation for the Koh Tao murder verdict.

The group has threatened to leak information about Thai judiciary members it claims are corrupt, Khaosod English reported.

Anonymous said it had taken down 297 websites since last night, including those of Thai Court of Justice and the Appeal Court, in protest against the conviction of two Myanmar migrant workers, found guilty last month of the rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge and of the murder of David Miller.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/13/anonymous-shuts-down-297-thai-court-websites

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-14

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In recent reports about the govt and the internet wasn't it stated that a new cyber unit had been created and the govt was ready for anything prompting some members to post that it was a dangerous thing to say as Anonymous was likely to respond to the challenge and it seems has done so.

Incidentally there's a story circulating, not officially, that recently Anonymous successfully hacked some Bkk police stations computer systems.

In recent reports about the govt and the internet wasn't it stated that a new cyber unit had been created and the govt was ready for anything prompting some members to post that it was a dangerous thing to say as Anonymous was likely to respond to the challenge and it seems has done so.

Incidentally there's a story circulating, not officially, that recently Anonymous successfully hacked some Bkk police stations computer systems.

I'd respond Kid.... but "I've been warned." Speech/writing in LOS is not free w/out reprisals. This is not USA.

post-45577-0-86415600-1452733956_thumb.j

Edited by selftaopath

I'd respond Kid.... but "I've been warned." Speech/writing in LOS is not free w/out reprisals. This is not USA.

Me too..

Most Thai govt websites are non-functional and/or non-interactional, often just glorified Facebook pages. Thailand is not an online society in terms of govt-to-population interface. The effect of this hack protest will be limited.

Good to hear the courts and the police exuding confidence about their abilities to protect their websites and information and nail the perps with prison sentences under the Computer Crimes Act, even if they are in foreign countries. It makes one feel confident in their ability to protect the public from serious crime and miscarriages of justice, knowing they can protect themselves so well.

Likely denial of service. Big deal.

Thus far, Anonymous has shown itself to be petulant and amateurish. Its admitted cyber attacks against the Thai government have not struck out as a war cry for truth but more of a "oh my goodness" whimper. Pol. Gen. Dejnarong is right to be defiant against such nonsense. wai2.gif

Likely denial of service. Big deal.

Thus far, Anonymous has shown itself to be petulant and amateurish. Its admitted cyber attacks against the Thai government have not struck out as a war cry for truth but more of a "oh my goodness" whimper. Pol. Gen. Dejnarong is right to be defiant against such nonsense. wai2.gif

Yes, denial of service is hardly the same as the end of the world is it? Still, it's a message!

Then again, as others have noted, just how strategic are Thai government web sites? No slur intended on anyone at all: I imagine they are not as big and grand as Anonymous might wish for.

More than an element of self-inflicted injury with another boast gone badly wrong.

Most Thai govt websites are non-functional and/or non-interactional, often just glorified Facebook pages. Thailand is not an online society in terms of govt-to-population interface. The effect of this hack protest will be limited.

In practical terms maybe of little impact, however in the land of saving face impact can be significant.