electrical socket near my bed

dsurin66

This is a retarded question I realise but... if there is a 2 prong electrical socket right next to my bed where I rest my head on the pillow each night... Is there any risk of electrical currents passing to me each night? There is nothing usually plugged into the sockets. Is there any risk to me? I hear brain tumours caused by many different issues. Just wondering.

I don't think I would like resting my head against an un-shuttered (typical Thai) outlet, particularly after I'd washed my hair. If you really are resting your head there I would remove the outlet, tape off the cable ends and fit a blanking plate.

I'm not aware of any substantiated health issues caused simply by the proximity of power outlets. If you are worried, locate where it is supplied from and turn off the breaker.

Can't think of any long term health risks for being in the proximity, but there is risk of something getting near the socket and starting a fire if it arcs. I would get over to Home Pro and buy a wall outlet safety cover. Dirt cheap and just might save someone's life, such as your own.

"Brain tumor", "electric smog" from 50 Hz mains is pure hysteria to my opinion.

And even "electric smog" from other sources (mobile phone) is hysteria.

To be safe from shock you could either generously use isolation tape to close the holes/cover the whole plug or cover it with some plastic lid and fix it with tape.

(in case you want to avoid the dis-assembly as described in #2).

Edited by KhunBENQ

What about all the various frequencies/signals passing through our bodies every second like signals from cell phones, cordless phones, microwaves, Wifi, radar, satellite, TV, radio, etc...etc...etc? I would be worried about those signals before starting to worry about signals from nearby electrical outlets.