Police

leighd7

Theres checkpoints all the time in CM, they havnt just started up, and they dont just target foreigners, though it is funny to see dumbfounded chinese tourists at them

As i cycle through CM to get to doisuthep every morning i take note of times and locations and how they are set up, then when i get on the motorbike i have no problem avoiding them or running them

Edited by Jdiddy

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Thailand only allows you to use international for 90 days after arrival.

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

With this you can apply for a Thai license without taking any Test.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

You are permitted to use that IDP in conjunction with your British licence on a Tourist Visa (or Visa exempt stamp) for up to 90 days in that 1 year validity.

But thats a little beside the point - It does appear that the Op was targeted because he was a foreigner and viewed a weak target.

The Op knew his paper work was in order and stood his ground. If every foreigner stands their ground when they know they are correct there would be less targeting.

That said, the reason the BiB target foreigners is because so many flout the law and make themselves easy and rewarding targets !

OP: Get a Thai Motorcycle licence - it will strengthen your case in any future stops.

If the op was targeted as you say because he is a foreigner how did the police know he was a foreigner in the first place if he was wearing the correct equipment plus helmet how did they know.

Surely your taking the pizz!!!

Why !!! If correct equipment is worn how can the police from a distance spot the farang!!!!!

But the bottom line is we all know there will be check points we all know sometimes we will be stopped we all know sometimes very rarely according to most posts here we will get a fine. So be it that's life your not being victimised nor persecuted or picked on. If you have everything in order no problem if like me you have everything then don't bother or forget(usaly the first) to place a helmet on then I pay the fine my bad I don't feel picked on. And before the helmet police start my desicion my life my choice thankyou

Just accept it, the police don't get it right. It is not right if they tag you at a traffic stop when they are enforcing the laws and tomorrow it will not be right when they do not enforce the law when somebody runs a red light. They are in a no win situation.coffee1.gif

I see checks virtually every day in BKK, no evidence that foreigners are being targeted. The only complaint I have is that the offenders are being let off with a "fine". Is it so different elsewhere?

It often "LOOKS" different in Chiang Mai, as it's a tourist town, so many of the people stopped are foreigners who think the laws don't apply to them. But the facts are, the cops are equal-opportunity stoppers... When there is a check point close to tourist attractions or on streets that lead to them, many of the people stopped will be foreign. When the check points are on streets where few foreigners travel, 99.99% of the people stopped are local Thais. It seems that many people who post here believe the police are targeting them simply because they are farang, yet continue their post describing the various violations for which they get ticketed...

Although I've been stopped many times, I've never had a police officer 'hunt for infractions.' I wear a helmet, my bike tax sticker is in plain sight, and as soon as I show a Thai driver's license I'm waved through. Case closed.

I agree. I have never had a problem with police anywhere in Thailand and have always found them very polite at road stops, both when I have been riding a motorcycle or driving a car. I really don’t understand the attitude of some of you guys.

Theyve also been doing lots of checks on 2nd road and Beach Road in Pattaya lately, road blocks

Good for them. Tourists on motobikes & some of the more geriatric expats rival motorbike taxi drivers themselves for crazy speed down narrow sois chock-full of pedestrians, vendor carts, and stopped trucks, and for recklessness generally. And can't believe there aren't more bike-on-pedestrian incidents on 2nd Rd. The more checkpoints the better.
Except the guys i see being stopped include ones wearing helmets so then the police are trying the incorrect driving licence scam maybe.

Stop guys at night to stop drink driving

Theyve also been doing lots of checks on 2nd road and Beach Road in Pattaya lately, road blocks

Good for them. Tourists on motobikes & some of the more geriatric expats rival motorbike taxi drivers themselves for crazy speed down narrow sois chock-full of pedestrians, vendor carts, and stopped trucks, and for recklessness generally. And can't believe there aren't more bike-on-pedestrian incidents on 2nd Rd. The more checkpoints the better.
Except the guys i see being stopped include ones wearing helmets so then the police are trying the incorrect driving licence scam maybe.

Scam? What scam? Either you have a valid license or you don't. If you have a valid license you don't get a ticket. If you don't have the required document, you do. Just as if you are wearing a helmet or not wearing one. There is no scam. And while there may be the odd one or two cops who think they can make some spare change for themselves this way, it's no different from the cashier in a US, UK, or other country's convenience store who doesn't ring up the occasional sale and just pockets the money. There are dishonest people everywhere... but then... that's why we have police in the first place, right?

Scam? What scam? Either you have a valid license or you don't. If you have a valid license you don't get a ticket. If you don't have the required document, you do. Just as if you are wearing a helmet or not wearing one. There is no scam. And while there may be the odd one or two cops who think they can make some spare change for themselves this way, it's no different from the cashier in a US, UK, or other country's convenience store who doesn't ring up the occasional sale and just pockets the money. There are dishonest people everywhere... but then... that's why we have police in the first place, right?

if you read the thread the policeman who pulled the guy over tried to get him for an incorrect licence, must happen a lot

The License was correct International drive bike or car.

No more silly questions.

They try to pull a fast one.

When they had the choice to take it to the station and make it official.

They threw the paper work out.

They were only after money.

Full stop..........

This has been the way for a long time ( since I have been here from the 70s) that they collect for their commanders to pay for their new cars.So they stopped you,big deal,.Quit crying like a small child,pay the paltry sum ( if you can afford it,can you?) and go on .If you can not accept their way with out bawling then GO HOME little boy.

Support their corruption? Not all of us all ball-less ignoramuses who can't stand up for ourselves.

Personally I refuse to do the white monkey dance and will pay these bastards nothing.

The only way these crooks will change is if everyone else who hasn't broken the law mans up and also refuses to pay a bribe.

Just one note of caution to UK people check your licence after renewal or any reason you have sent it back to dvla.

I have all catogories on licence A/B/C +E ect ect (for others not uk I can drive and have licence to drive almost anything). However I came over went to get Thai car and bike licence. Car no problem bike not unless I sit tests reason DVLA decided to remove me Cat A (motorbike licence) which after a bit of digging around it happens a lot. Phoned DVLA (35mins) only to be told I have to send proof that I passed my test to get it reinstated! !! The fact that I passed bike test in 1974 and had it on every licence since then held no sway. No way of finding test paper any more. So I sat test here which is easy but time consuming. Beware check your licence and photo copy it before sending it away to them.

The License was correct International drive bike or car.

No more silly questions.

They try to pull a fast one.

When they had the choice to take it to the station and make it official.

They threw the paper work out.

They were only after money.

Full stop..........

This has been the way for a long time ( since I have been here from the 70s) that they collect for their commanders to pay for their new cars.So they stopped you,big deal,.Quit crying like a small child,pay the paltry sum ( if you can afford it,can you?) and go on .If you can not accept their way with out bawling then GO HOME little boy.
Support their corruption? Not all of us all ball-less ignoramuses who can't stand up for ourselves.

Personally I refuse to do the white monkey dance and will pay these bastards nothing.

The only way these crooks will change is if everyone else who hasn't broken the law mans up and also refuses to pay a bribe.

And there you have it the reason in a nut shell

if you read the thread the policeman who pulled the guy over tried to get him for an incorrect licence, must happen a lot

I've lived here and driven here for 15 years. It doesn't happen 'a lot.' It happens. There are dishonest people all over the world, including Thailand. What DOES happen is that 'some' foreigners believe that they are being targeted by police because they get caught breaking the law. Those who don't break the law rarely make posts saying they are being the subject of some police 'scam.' I'm not suggesting that it doesn't happen. I'm stating that there are dishonest people in all countries.

I'm on the road every day of the week. I've done so for 15 years. I ride all over Chiang Mai city and Chiang Mai province. I'm a farang. My face and my body shape are obviously foreign. I've been stopped many times in many different areas. I've been waved through many different check points. Sometimes the police are only stopping people who are not wearing helmets. Sometimes they are stopping everyone looking at documentation. In all these years, and in all these stops, I have NEVER seen any indication what so ever of targeting foreigners or license 'scams.' While there may well be some dishonest people working as police, just as there are dishonest people working in every profession, you are in far greater danger of getting ripped off by some fellow tourist than by a local.

Edited by FolkGuitar

So you're at a checkpoint, and you come on strong and macho. With a guy who's wearing a sidearm, no less. facepalm.gif He confiscates your car or scooter keys, and tells you they won't be given back until you've paid up. What are you going to do then, big boy?

Edited by bazza40

I've lived in CM for 3 years. In that time i estimate i've been through 50+ checkpoints. Not one single time have a been fined or even had a cop try to bs me into a bs fine. Guess i just have an innocent face.

Edit. Forgot 1 time i was driving a rental truck from avis, the tax had expired so i had to pay 400baht. Avis refunded me the 400.

Edited by maanoi

So you're at a checkpoint, and you come on strong and macho. With a guy who's wearing a sidearm, no less. facepalm.gif He confiscates your car or scooter keys, and tells you they won't be given back until you've paid up. What are you going to do then, big boy?

You don't give him the keys.

What's he gonna do? Shoot you?

And 'stand up' to what? If you break the law you have a problem. If you don't break the law you don't have a problem. No need to beat your chest and posture in front of us. We've all been here before...

What chest beating?

If I've done nothing wrong I refuse to pay. I don't get aggressive. I just sit there, in the way, until they back down and let me get on with my life.

When I had my motorbike, I simply didn't stop. One has to remember that you're dealing with a mafia organisation, not a police force in public service.

The only time I had to pay was once in Udon when they were playing with the lights at Udon's busiest intersection to catch people going through red lights (hard to stop when the amber was only illuminated for about a second). The tourist policeman who I spoke to said I should only pay 200b, not the 400b they were requesting, so that's what I did.

And 'stand up' to what? If you break the law you have a problem. If you don't break the law you don't have a problem. No need to beat your chest and posture in front of us. We've all been here before...

What chest beating?

If I've done nothing wrong I refuse to pay. I don't get aggressive. I just sit there, in the way, until they back down and let me get on with my life.

When I had my motorbike, I simply didn't stop. One has to remember that you're dealing with a mafia organisation, not a police force in public service.

The only time I had to pay was once in Udon when they were playing with the lights at Udon's busiest intersection to catch people going through red lights (hard to stop when the amber was only illuminated for about a second). The tourist policeman who I spoke to said I should only pay 200b, not the 400b they were requesting, so that's what I did.

I'm just sitting here visualizing this... :)

What chest beating?

I'm just sat laughing my cobblers off quote "When I had my motorbike, I simply didn't stop" 55555555 where are you now top end of China 5555 Edited by Sutty

If the Govt, Police and Authorities even care for their own people then they should be enforcing helmet wearing

on all Thai's in cities, villages and not to forget school children which I doubt even have licences.

They contribute most to Thailand's Record Breaking road fatality statistics

If the Govt, Police and Authorities even care for their own people then they should be enforcing helmet wearing

on all Thai's in cities, villages and not to forget school children which I doubt even have licences.

They contribute most to Thailand's Record Breaking road fatality statistics

Would love to see these statistics broken down to support your post

What chest beating?

I'm just sat laughing my cobblers off quote "When I had my motorbike, I simply didn't stop" 55555555 where are you now top end of China 5555

You carry on being an accessory to crime - I refuse to.

What chest beating?

I'm just sat laughing my cobblers off quote "When I had my motorbike, I simply didn't stop" 55555555 where are you now top end of China 5555

You carry on being an accessory to crime - I refuse to.

For goodness sake man lighten up accessorie to crime indeed I was comenting on the fact he never stops meaning he's still going even now hence top of china

You don't give him the keys.

What's he gonna do? Shoot you?

According to my friend, the cop simply took the keys of his scooter out of the ignition while they were talking. Please note, I used the word "confiscate" which does not mean giving voluntarily. So what would you do? Try to take them back? Or are you suggesting your reactions are so fast you'd be able to stop it happening?

Edited by bazza40