My Legs are playing up

keithsimmonds

Dear all

Thanks for any advice that may be offered. I am 59 years old and i been in Thailand for 6 weeks,i live in a tiny village (province Chaiyaphum). Every morning and throughout the day my legs ( backs of both knees in particular) feel like i have run a marathon

I do work nearly every day in our jungle of a garden, so i am fairly active despite my knees/legs.

I work as a Caddy in England so walk about 4 miles nearly every day. I played golf last week (well nearly) i could not bend down to read my putts because of the discomfort i was in. I take 2 x 1000mg glucosamine sulphate tablets every day and have been doing so for over 10 years + Cold liver. For the last 7 days i have also taken in powder form approximately 750ml of an Eloctrolyte drink that i heard might do me good.........can,t say it has though. Any advice would be most welcome.

Some things to check: Do you have an infection? Are you drinking mineral water? Getting plenty of magnesium? Eating freshly cooked food?

Thanks for your reply DogNo1............i dont have an infection.........not drinking mineral water (just the Thai 20ltr bottled stuff).....there is Magnesium Stearate in the glucosamine tablets i take (how much/dont know) .and yes i do eat freshly cooked food. The Electrolyte beverage drink i have been taking (between 750ml and 1ltr a day) contains glucose sodium citrate and potassium.

Do you have a stretching routine? Keep those hamstrings as well as your quads loosened up. Slow toe touches bent straight over for the hams, pull foot heel to buttocks for your quads. Latter should also crackle the knee a bit.

Stay hydrated also.

I have a stretching routine for my top half....Hips 100 each side every day for 10 plus years and floor exercise involving both legs working on the stomach muscle to ease back and sciatica pain which i did have 10+ years ago. I will give anything a try. Thanks smile.png

You are receiving a lot of bad advice here.

Do you have a stretching routine? Keep those hamstrings as well as your quads loosened up.

Exercising an inflamed (painful) arthritic joint may increase the damage.

No stretching either.

Do nothing until you have seen an (English) doctor.

http://rheuminfo.com/diseases/exercising-in-a-flare

"Do not stretch an inflamed joint. During an active flare swelling in the joint is already causing the joint tendons, ligaments and capsule to be stretched. Stretching may cause these structures to overstretch and cause laxity and damage to the joint."

I'm usually the first one to suggest exercise and dietary control for many medical problems ...... but not for arthritis.

Walking stick, maybe swimming, move more slowly.

DO NOTHING that jolts, stretches or stresses the affected joints.

I beg to differ.

With posterior knee pain, following unaccustomed exercise on the garden jungle, the first thing I'd look at would be tight hamstrings.

No mention of inflammation, swelling, heat that one would expect with bilateral arthritis (which is rarely symmetrical).

Check your hamstring length, lying on your back, with a straight leg raise (one at a time ) with your knee locked - how high could you lift and did it reproduce your pain?

However I do agree on an assessment by someone who knows something about physical problems - a physiotherapist maybe hard to find here.

(based on 40+ years of clinical physiotherapy practice).

I beg to differ.

With posterior knee pain, following unaccustomed exercise on the garden jungle, the first thing I'd look at would be tight hamstrings.

No mention of inflammation, swelling, heat that one would expect with bilateral arthritis (which is rarely symmetrical).

Check your hamstring length, lying on your back, with a straight leg raise (one at a time ) with your knee locked - how high could you lift and did it reproduce your pain?

However I do agree on an assessment by someone who knows something about physical problems - a physiotherapist maybe hard to find here.

I can lift both legs straight up without any pain. But crouching........like sitting down on the loo...or crouching down to read a putt...right knee feels like it,s going to explode and the pain behind both knee caps......not nice.

I beg to differ.

I can lift both legs straight up without any pain. But crouching........like sitting down on the loo...or crouching down to read a putt...right knee feels like it,s going to explode and the pain behind both knee caps......not nice.

You said in the OP the pain was behind your knees.

If you had said behind the kneecaps it would have been a snap.

Chondromalacia patellae.

You definitely need help from a physio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chondromalacia_patellae

You said in the OP the pain was behind your knees.

Yep, he's totally changed his story.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.i was trying to be precise when I said behind my kneecaps.the pain is behind the knees parallel to the kneecaps. Lifting the legs up while on the floor.no probs.but just lying flat on the floor doing nothing is painful behind both knees. Apologies again for any misunderstanding.

Archived