I never expected...

Kiwi was 21 when I came 6 years ago. Rose steadily to 28, and has fallen the past year to 24.

I'm still in bonus territory as I did (and still do) all my maths at 21.

The only thing that has caught me by surprise is the fact that every year I hate going home for my months duty visit more and more.

People are gloomy, the streets are empty, the weather is crap, the drivers are aggressive, you need a 2nd mortgage to buy a pack of cigarettes, and the Nazis seem to be in charge of the traffic police.

Last time I lied to the family and said I had to leave a week earlier than my airline flight was booked for. A Nazi copper booked me for one lousy click over the speed limit on the way to the airport.

I have been here about 15 years, and in that time the exchange rose to around 44 baht/US$ to a low of around 28B/$.

All one can do is make the best of it and hope Thailands continued slide into obscurity contines. 60B/$ anyone? w00t.gif

i remember 55.35 arriving at Don Muang on monday january 12,1998 changing Dollars. but i also remember a dozen years 1973-1985 when one Dollar but 20 Baht.

worthwhile to mention is that in the 70s 20 Baht bought more than 100 Baht are buying today!

The pound since November 2015 has fallen from just under 55 to 51 now.

I have just read the report on the colossal drop in billions of dollars of foreign investment here in Thailand and still the baht stays strong....any other 3rd world craphole and we would be using 7/11 carrier bags to carry our change around in ..... I don't get it. Never have never will. Bad news in other countries equates as that. Bad news. Here it makes the place perk up....!!! "Air France counts the cost of the Paris attacks",

Bangkok cleans up an international terrorist crime scene as if it never happened within 48 hours and everyone is back burning candles and tourists are there in droves....eh ?

The biggest snot bubble has got to burst soon........surely?

The pound was 71 baht when I came back ,went as low as 44, you just have to be able to ride it out,oh and interest rates were 6% oh happy days

---------------------------------

I can remember flying into Heathrow once on a plane change when I was working in Saudi and had to transit through Heathrow for my flight to Jeddah when the Dollar exchange rate was $1.20 to a pound at Heathrow.

If I remember correctly, I think that was when the miners unions were on strike against Thatcher and her government.

The point is....exchange rates are only a relative value, that can change with time.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The pound since November 2015 has fallen from just under 55 to 51 now.

I have just read the report on the colossal drop in billions of dollars of foreign investment here in Thailand and still the baht stays strong....any other 3rd world craphole and we would be using 7/11 carrier bags to carry our change around in ..... I don't get it. Never have never will. Bad news in other countries equates as that. Bad news. Here it makes the place perk up....!!! "Air France counts the cost of the Paris attacks",

Bangkok cleans up an international terrorist crime scene as if it never happened within 48 hours and everyone is back burning candles and tourists are there in droves....eh ?

The biggest snot bubble has got to burst soon........surely?

don't hold your breath! whistling.gif

Regarding the OP Canadian Dollar, it use to oscillate 20 baht to Canadian Dollar until mid 1997/Asian Financial Crisis that pushed it way above 20. See below history CND/THB snapshot from Jan 1960 to current date. Maybe the Candian Dollar is just heading back to the 20 ballpark like it use to be.....of course the USD use to hover just above 20 in the early 70's also...you just never know where currency rates will go. World events, slow shift in resource usage (like coal or oil to ??), political events, etc., can dramatically affect currencies.

post-55970-0-65560000-1452999129_thumb.j

The CDN is worth only 60cents or so USD. Economist are on TV daily saying it'll get worse before it gets better. I heard a prediction we could hit 50cents if the oil downturn continues.

You may see another leg down if the Bank of Canada lowers rates again next week, as many are predicting it will.

The strange thing is almost every currency worldwide has devalued against the USD but for some reason the BAHT remains fairly strong against the USD. Even as other Asian currencies fall.

Most nations are looking to devalue against the USD as it helps exports. That seems to be the Canadian Gov plan. Reduce rates and keep the dollar low against the greenback, hoping this will help manufacturing, investment and exports.

While no evidence exists that these benefits are occurring, the average CDN is already seeing a huge spike in the cost of food and other items we import from the USA.

Simple vegetables like cauliflower, cucumber and broccoli are seeing huge increases at this time. Especially now in winter when almost all of our veggie is imported from the USA.