Masked police

yasorab

Can anyone tell me why Thai police feel the need to use hospital face masks and sunglasses at roadside checkpoints? I find it deeply worrying that this practice is allowed. People have the right to know who and see who they are dealing with and I find this intimidating to say the very least. Recently where I stay there are a couple of police taken to the use of ski masks now which is even more upsetting in my view. Comments please.

I suspect that it is to avoid the sun and polution, which is probably a smart move on their part.

+1. Try standing at their post for a few hours and you'll be looking for some protection from the sun and the diesel fumes, too.

When I first came to Thailand, I went offshore and a lot of the guys on the platforms were wearing full face masks. The only time I had ever seen that back home was when the special forces used one of our platforms for a practice counter-terrorism exercise. But after standing on the platform for a few hours, I found myself taking a T-shirt and fashioning it as a full face mask.

Much human interaction is non-verbal...facial expressions, etc.

It becomes more difficult to "read" a person when the mouth and/or eyes are not visible.

This can surely be intimidating when it is a person in a position of authority.

Keep your perspective, do not be intimidated.

People also wear those masks if they have a cold and don't want to spread diseases

Yes, sometimes

But I would be confident in speculating that most people who are wearing masks are doing so in the mistaken belief that they are somehow protecting themselves, *not* because they care about their fellow man.

• 2 weeks later...