Thailand is home to 4 of the worst airlines for safety in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 70's when I was working in the Sudan neither Sudan or Egypt had very many native pilots so they hired all of the Brit alcoholics who had been fired from British carriers. I was waiting to board a Sudan Airways flight out of Khartoum to London and the crew was boarding. They were crossing the waiting room when one of them stumbled and started screaming incoherently about something. The entire crew stopped in the middle of the room while they got him under control and then proceeded to walk out to the plane. I decided to take the next day's flight.

And Thai Airways charges more and has a bad rap . Tells you why I don't fly Local Airlines

As a matter of fact my girlfriend is Thai and will not fly any of these airlines as well

Tells you something doesn't it

If you don't fly local airlines, how do you travel around the country?

Before begin to speculated about this subject I recommend you to look this site.

http://www.airlineratings.com/safety_rating_per_airline.php?l=T

The information given by this newspaper come from this website.

You can found how they rank company and why their downgrade... for all Thai carrier downgrade come from CAA of Thailand Operation concern from OACI and none approbation from FAA

Who is airlineratings dot com ???

Bit of research will lead to "Geoffrey Thomas" an Australian, clearly this is is more about Qantas and the metrics formulated to promote Qantas to the top of the list, sure the Americans could come up with another list that would put an airlines using mainly boeing aircraft at the top, not saying Qantas is not best, just depends where you put the goal posts.

I do agree Thailand needs to improve on Air Safety, but would travel any day with a Thai airline in preference to an Indonesian airline.

Edited by Basil B

My wife and I have flown Bangkok Airways from Lampang to Bangkok and return for around eight years now and have absolutely no complaints.

Statistics can be skewed to suit the individual agenda of these surveys and I'd suggest they have in this case.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

And Thai Airways charges more and has a bad rap . Tells you why I don't fly Local Airlines

As a matter of fact my girlfriend is Thai and will not fly any of these airlines as well

Just says you don't fly domestic too often since they're the only choice to many locations in Thailand.

Edit: Which begs the question, which brand of 2 wheel death trap does she prefer to get around town?

Edited by impulse

I didn't know that Nok Air had a bad safety record. Any insight as to why they only get 2 stars?

Just one example, take a few of their flights and watch how often they check the name details etc., at both check-in and at the boarding gate.

At one stage, maybe a year back, approximately, they had several incidents of passengers on wrong flights.

Before take off they should give the passengers seated in the exit rows a verbal briefing. Plenty of times I've seen foreigners in these rows. the briefing is conducted in Thai language only and so fast the details are clouded for even the Thai passengers to understand.

Edited by scorecard

"...and whether the airline operates only Russian-manufactured planes..."

cheesy.gif love the implied message in this one.

It is called moving the goal post, notice they did not take crew inexperience into consideration otherwise they would not have been able to award the Qantus subsidiary "JetStar" 7 stars.

Edited by Basil B

I didn't know that Nok Air had a bad safety record. Any insight as to why they only get 2 stars?[/quote

I am also curious. Nok, bangkok airways and airasia fly new equipment and I don't recall any accidents or safety lapses since I have been flying I. Thailand the past few years. The fact that the FAA has put the Thailand government civil aviation agency on report does not equate to unsafe operations by Thai airlines.

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

Orient Thai: 1star

Nok Air: 2stars

AirAsia: 3 stars

Thai Air: 4stars

Bangkok Air: 4+stars

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Anyway, still plenty work to do for all Thai airlines!

Internal flights do not have to comply with International requirements either just local requirements

Airline Ratings is an Australian on-line company with a questionally methode for how the different airlines are rated. Skytrax uses a much better methode and I recommed checking their evaluations for more accurate figures.

Who is airlineratings dot com ???

Bit of research will lead to "Geoffrey Thomas" an Australian, clearly this is is more about Qantas and the metrics formulated to promote Qantas to the top of the list, sure the Americans could come up with another list that would put an airlines using mainly boeing aircraft at the top, not saying Qantas is not best, just depends where you put the goal posts.

I do agree Thailand needs to improve on Air Safety, but would travel any day with a Thai airline in preference to an Indonesian airline.

Both Vietnam airlines 5/7.

I didn't know that Nok Air had a bad safety record. Any insight as to why they only get 2 stars?

flight hours on airframe and power plant as opposed to routine planned preventive maintenance program determined by "said" flight hours . the factory schedule must be followed accurately and be up to date including major component removal & replacement as well as component rebuild . this schedule determines "safety rating" . short cuts in maintenance means the plane has a poor safety record and planes will fall in the near future . all mechanical operations od the aircraft must be kept in "new" condition at all times . bada bada bing ................

On my first ever visit to Thailand in 1999, our company had a retired US Army colonel on retainer as our local agent. At that time he had lived in Thailand about 23 years.

He went on and on and on one night about how bad THAI airlines was.

On what was he basing his critique? Cabin service, smooth landings, on time departures?

Having lived in Thailand 23 years and relaying pub talk doesn't qualify him for much when it comes to commenting on safe airline operation.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I have been impressed with Lion Air after 3 flights with them.

When we checked in last Thursday they would have given me an exit seat if my wife had not been wearing loose shoes, I had trainers on, which they were actively looking for.

Exit row briefings conducted after the general safety brief.

All announcements were understandable, especially from the lady first officer.

Seat pitch is very tight, however once sitting, quite comfortable.

We have moved from AirAsia as Lion give you 15kg of hold baggage and are still much cheaper on the Ubon route.

wait so how do you get from bkk to phuket/ chiangmai? By land?

wait so how do you get from bkk to phuket/ chiangmai? By land?

I think the secret has been lost in some ancient Siam scripts...

So when will see the rest of the travel/tourism/ hospitality industry doing this inverted standards rating?

Mandarin Oriental Hotel's go from 5 or 6 to a 1 star..... what a lot of self serving avionic crap, as is their "best,cheapest, whatever annual awards" = one award for each player who has the marketing budget --- or perhaps bar tabs and extras for the esteemed judges of standards !

QANTAS is best ehh! I still get a little nervous every time: I looking down the end of the runway at Don Meung, I think the share price when I bailed out of QF and Mr Joyce's, the CEO's current salary of AU$12 million. PA

Edited by khun custard

Nok failed IATA's safety audit (-2 stars) and Thailand failed ICAO safety (procedural) audit (-2 stars)

Unless more recent data is forthcoming ... a correction to the above >

Nok was not audited or does not subscribe to an audit by IATA ....still means minus 2 points.

We fly Nok, AirAsia Thai and BangkokAirways.