Thailand is home to 4 of the worst airlines for safety in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

On 16/01/2016 at 11:11 AM, Gulfsailor said:

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

Orient Thai: 1star

Nok Air: 2stars

AirAsia: 3 stars

Thai Air: 4stars

Bangkok Air: 4+stars

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Anyway, still plenty work to do for all Thai airlines!

And domestic flights do not have to comply with CAA regulations. They can can operate to any standard they are allowed to by the government.

Edited by gandalf12

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/01/2016 at 3:59 PM, sipi said:

I am only taking minivans from now on.

You could always ride pillion on a motor bike.  That's surely even more dangerous than a mini van.   

I'll stay with NOK, SMILE or AIRASIA.

Who is doing the rating? For my own limited experience I prefer Nok Air when flying locally. A no frills airline that allows seat reservations I would compare them to Southwest Airlines in the US a cattle car airline with a good record. Only flown Thai air once from bkk to tokyo. The food gave me the runs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, Gulfsailor said:

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

Orient Thai: 1star

Nok Air: 2stars

AirAsia: 3 stars

Thai Air: 4stars

Bangkok Air: 4+stars

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Anyway, still plenty work to do for all Thai airlines!

How did you get the idea propellor planes are less safe?

Maybe valid for piston engines, but turboprops are actually safer as jets and cheaper to run.

And where did you get the idea smaller aircraft are less safe.

Your only valid point is more take off and landings.

But there again, a prop is much safer.

Edited by hansnl

• 2 weeks later...

Having a hard time finding airlines that are on the bottom tier on this forum. So here goes:

That's Okay, I'll Pass (Rating: 3)

• Afriqiyah
  • Air Bagan
  • AirAsia Thailand
  • AirAsia Zest
  • Avia Traffic Company
  • Bangkok Air
  • Camair-Co
  • Cambodia Angkor Air
  • Drukair Royal Bhutan
  • FastJet
  • Felix Airways
  • Fly540
  • Garuda Indonesia
  • JetStar Pacific
  • LAM
  • Libyan Airlines
  • Nauru Airlines
  • Orient Thai Airlines
  • Polynesian Airlines
  • Scat
  • Somon Air
  • Tajik Air

Definitely Not (Rating: 2)

• Airlines PNG
  • Ariana Afghan Airlines
  • Blue Wing
  • Daallo Airlines
  • Kam Air
  • NOK Air

Not If You Paid Me (Rating: 1)

• Batik Air
  • Citilink
  • KalStar Aviation
  • Lion Air
  • Nepal Airlines
  • Sriwijaya Air and Nam Air
  • Tara Air [Editor's Note: Tara Air's rating is now listed as "Pending" on AirlineRatings.com. As per Captain Samir Sajet, a regional aviation safety officer for the UAE, Tara Air and sister carrier Yeti Air are "the only airlines in Nepal to achieve an IATA global safety standard" and "the only Nepalese fixed-wing operators to have been assessed by the UN World Food Programme as having good enough safety standards to pre-qualify for their global humanitarian air charter work."]
  • TransNusa
  • Wings Air
  • Xpress Air

The World's 20 Safest Airlines

On a brighter note, AirlineRatings.com just released their annual announcement of the world's 20 safest airlines. At the top of the list for the third year in a row is Australian carrier Qantas, which has never had a fatality. Here's the full list, in alphabetical order: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, Finnair, Hawaiian Airlines, Japan Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Qantas, Scandinavian Airline System, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/lowest-airline-safety-ratings

I have flown Kan Air, and Nok Air a number of times. Have enjoyed the flights, and have never had an issue. Service was good, baggage handling was fine, and on Nok many of the flight attendants are adorable. Like their uniforms too! Kan Air flies small planes, which are an absolute joy to fly in. Highly skilled pilots, and nearly new equipment. It is a shame they do not cover more routes, in my opinion. I flew them from Chiang Mai to Pai. Utterly delightful 22 minute flight. There were only four of us on the plane, that seated maybe 20.

Edited by spidermike007