Thailand is home to 4 of the worst airlines for safety in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

Airlines not safe. Trains derailing. Roads are the real killers. What shall be next? Does Thais have a sense of responsibility?

Rhetorical question?

Or do you want an answer?

cheesy.gif Of course they don't. They're wonderful people, but they don't give a ...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The star rating is actually quite misleading when it comes to airline safety.I have watched nearly every air investigation episode ever screened ( might make me an armchair expert) and the one thing that is clearly evident is that aeroplanes can and do fly with numerous issues that don't necessarily affect their overall performance .Having said this; I would rather fly in a plane held together with fencing wire and with a pilot who knows his stick and rudder than with someone who is too afraid to turn the auto pilot off.

PS. apparently a very sensitive subject here in Asia... i recently made an internet comment to a very similar topic and promptly had my account deleted!

Fly Nok from Bkk to Udon and back each year for several years and haven't had a complaint yet. Nice quick 1 hour flight. I suppose I could add 5 hours to the trip each way and take the highways but would that be safer?

Regularly fly Nok - DMK to Lampang and back - apart from compulsory flight delays, never had a problem.

No comment about on- board snack though sad.png

New aircraft (ATR's or Q400's) and safety advice in English (after Thai)

I see Lion Air is operating in Thailand - are they not banned in Europe ?

I was pretty happy with them actually. I was also surprised they had a German captain flying the plane I was on

So did that Greenwings plane that crashed in Europe a little while ago.

Who is airlineratings dot com ???

Bit of research will lead to "Geoffrey Thomas" an Australian, clearly this is is more about Qantas and the metrics formulated to promote Qantas to the top of the list, sure the Americans could come up with another list that would put an airlines using mainly boeing aircraft at the top, not saying Qantas is not best, just depends where you put the goal posts.

I do agree Thailand needs to improve on Air Safety, but would travel any day with a Thai airline in preference to an Indonesian airline.

woah, australian conspiracy theory. i don't fly qantas, not because of safety, but because of bad service.

here's another airline rating system. i use this one because the ratings are done by your fellow travellers.........http://www.airlinequality.com/review-pages/a-z-airline-reviews/

So these airlinequality reviews are passenger evaluations......If the flight attendents were from a Pattaya bar I guess they would get high reviews. Nothing to do with safety as this topic is

I didn't know that Nok Air had a bad safety record. Any insight as to why they only get 2 stars?

flight hours on airframe and power plant as opposed to routine planned preventive maintenance program determined by "said" flight hours . the factory schedule must be followed accurately and be up to date including major component removal & replacement as well as component rebuild . this schedule determines "safety rating" . short cuts in maintenance means the plane has a poor safety record and planes will fall in the near future . all mechanical operations od the aircraft must be kept in "new" condition at all times . bada bada bing ................

I thought Lufthansa Technik take care of these operations

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/press-releases-content/-/asset_publisher/9Mf5/content/id/1142366

The spectrum of services governed by the contract includes the supply of all components and consumables, engine and thrust reverser overhauls, and services for landing gear and brakes. For this purpose, Lufthansa Technik has set up a material warehouse at the airline's hub at Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok, and is supporting the carrier's growing fleet with technical fleet management on site.

It is a supply contract for the parts not the actual work

And how many incidents has Air Asia had? How many crashes? Within Thailand? I know of a couple of relatively minor incidents with Bangkok Air. But, i consider them to be a very safe, and well run airline. Is there an agenda at work here? Something unseen? Something political, perhaps? I just do not trust this survey. I consider both Bangkok Air and Air Asia (especially within Thailand) to be incredibly safe airlines. Would never hesitate to fly on either, and have countless times.

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

Orient Thai: 1star

Nok Air: 2stars

AirAsia: 3 stars

Thai Air: 4stars

Bangkok Air: 4+stars

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Anyway, still plenty work to do for all Thai airlines!

Bangkok Air!!!!..... u must be joking.... They've had more runway crashes than I've had hot dinners.

Does that mean you had one single hot dinner in your life? Bangkok air had two runway incidents amongst 3 total incidents since they started in 1968. For the record those two runway incidents cost the life of 1 person (pilot) in total. The third accident was an actual crash.

Get it right.... 3 runway accidents and 1 crash.... and do you believe that all incidents are reported because I heard of one in Samui that wasn't... look at this article about Asia...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/on-asias-flights-potentially-dangerous-mistakes-go-unreported-1436836841

P.S....... if I'm wrong then change that to hot dinners in a Tesco Lotus food court.

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Bangkok Air!!!!..... u must be joking.... They've had more runway crashes than I've had hot dinners.

Does that mean you had one single hot dinner in your life? Bangkok air had two runway incidents amongst 3 total incidents since they started in 1968. For the record those two runway incidents cost the life of 1 person (pilot) in total. The third accident was an actual crash.

Get it right.... 3 runway accidents and 1 crash.... and do you believe that all incidents are reported because I heard of one in Samui that wasn't... look at this article about Asia...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/on-asias-flights-potentially-dangerous-mistakes-go-unreported-1436836841

P.S....... if I'm wrong then change that to hot dinners in a Tesco Lotus food court.

I missed the one in Seam Reap, so yes, three runway incidents with a combined 1 fatality. If there was an unreported incident on Samui it must have been more than 11 years ago, as I haven't heard or seen anything apart from the official ones since I lived there. Ps, my house has a view on the runway.

You must be on a diet - 4 accidents and only one with fatalities

Incidents and accidents[edit]

About the same as QANTAS

• On 24 August 1960, Lockheed Super Constellation registered VH-EAC crashed on take-off at Mauritius en route to the Cocos Islands, Australia. The take-off was aborted following an engine failure, the aircraft ran off the runway, and was destroyed by fire. There were no fatalities.[170]
  • On 23 September 1999, Qantas Flight 1, a Boeing 747-400 registered VH-OJH, overran the runway while landing at Bangkok, Thailand, during a heavy thunderstorm. The aircraft came to a stop on a golf course, but without fatalities. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau criticised numerous inadequacies in Qantas' operational and training processes.[171]
  • On 25 July 2008, Qantas Flight 30, a Boeing 747-438 registered VH-OJK, suffered a ruptured fuselage and decompression as a result of an oxygen tank explosion over theSouth China Sea. En route from Hong Kong International Airport to Melbourne Airport, the aircraft made an emergency landing at Ninoy Aquino International Airport with no injuries.[172]
  • On 7 October 2008, Airbus A330-300 registered VH-QPA, travelling from Singapore to Perth, Western Australia as Qantas Flight 72, suffered a rapid loss of altitude in two sudden uncommanded pitch down manoeuvres causing serious injuries while 80 nautical miles (150 km) from Learmonth. The aircraft safely landed in Learmonth, with 14 people requiring transportation by air ambulance to Perth. Another 30 people also required hospital treatment, while an additional 30 people had injuries not requiring hospital treatment.[173] Initial investigations identified an inertial reference system fault in the Number-1 Air Data Inertial Reference Unit as the likely origin of the event. On receiving false indication of a very high angle of attack, the flight control systems commanded a pitch down movement, reaching a maximum of 8.5 degrees pitch down.[174]
  • On 4 November 2010, Qantas Flight 32, an Airbus A380 registered VH-OQA, fitted with four Trent 972 engines manufactured by Rolls-Royce, suffered an uncontained turbine disc failure of its left inboard engine shortly after taking off from Singapore Changi Airport en route to Sydney. The flight returned to Singapore and landed safely, and all 440 passengers and 29 crew on board survived uninjured.[175] Cowling parts of the failed engine fell over Batam Island, Indonesia.[176][177][178]

If the two airlines have experienced a similar number of crashes, the fact that QANTAS operates 6 times as many planes and around 10 times as many flights a day as Bangkok Airways would seem to indicate they are 6-10 times safer.

This is clearly wrong and damages Thailand's image. Thailand's very own respected international air safety ratings survey, conducted by social welfare students at Chula Uni on 1,243 Thais from 70 villages from Jan 5-6, puts Knock-Air at 7 Stars.

......yeah, what do these Airlinerating.com people know?

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Wonderful News (from the office of the Tourism Minister) "Of the five airlines rated recently, in Thailand, Thai Airways was rated Number One!

Yup, you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Just leave it to the spin doctors  :shock1:  

Time for the Thai-do-gooders to chime in: " I personally been flying xyz for 3 years and never been in crash! In my homecountry, I once had to wait 24 minutes on the runway, because A wire had to be changed! Ergo: Thailand is the safest ever..." ...what?
Oh, they are here already?
Ok, carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

seemingly a lifetime ago. i lived in mexico, and we called them 'el crasho airlines' there;

with the mindless denial that thai 'officials' seem to embrace, we can surely hear some novel excuses ;

bought the brain level of a 10 year old

I was a flight attendant with Air Canada for 10 years. I've been in Laos for 12 years and have flown on all 4 of those airlines. I don't feel safe on any of them, but there are times when you have to get somewhere.

I seem to recall an incident involving Thai Airways a few years back when a plane ran off the end of the runway and to deal with the problem they had a freaking baci.

Yeah, that'll take care of things.

On 1/16/2016 at 1:13 PM, jaywalker said:

On my first ever visit to Thailand in 1999, our company had a retired US Army colonel on retainer as our local agent. At that time he had lived in Thailand about 23 years.

He went on and on and on one night about how bad THAI airlines was.

I have a few friends who work in aviation back home. All of them have warned me for years about flying on airlines in SEA. They all have sketchy airlines.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, JoePai said:

I see Lion Air is operating in Thailand - are they not banned in Europe ?

At one time so was Garuda and also to Nth America's , check it out on google, UN restricted aircraft list., I can't be bothered..............:cheesy:.

You must be on a diet - 4 accidents and only one with fatalities
Incidents and accidents[edit]About the same as QANTAS
  • On 24 August 1960, Lockheed Super Constellation registered VH-EAC crashed on take-off at Mauritius en route to the Cocos Islands, Australia. The take-off was aborted following an engine failure, the aircraft ran off the runway, and was destroyed by fire. There were no fatalities.[170]
  • On 23 September 1999, Qantas Flight 1, a Boeing 747-400 registered VH-OJH, overran the runway while landing at Bangkok, Thailand, during a heavy thunderstorm. The aircraft came to a stop on a golf course, but without fatalities. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau criticised numerous inadequacies in Qantas' operational and training processes.[171]
  • On 25 July 2008, Qantas Flight 30, a Boeing 747-438 registered VH-OJK, suffered a ruptured fuselage and decompression as a result of an oxygen tank explosion over theSouth China Sea. En route from Hong Kong International Airport to Melbourne Airport, the aircraft made an emergency landing at Ninoy Aquino International Airport with no injuries.[172]
  • On 7 October 2008, Airbus A330-300 registered VH-QPA, travelling from Singapore to Perth, Western Australia as Qantas Flight 72, suffered a rapid loss of altitude in two sudden uncommanded pitch down manoeuvres causing serious injuries while 80 nautical miles (150 km) from Learmonth. The aircraft safely landed in Learmonth, with 14 people requiring transportation by air ambulance to Perth. Another 30 people also required hospital treatment, while an additional 30 people had injuries not requiring hospital treatment.[173] Initial investigations identified an inertial reference system fault in the Number-1 Air Data Inertial Reference Unit as the likely origin of the event. On receiving false indication of a very high angle of attack, the flight control systems commanded a pitch down movement, reaching a maximum of 8.5 degrees pitch down.[174]
  • On 4 November 2010, Qantas Flight 32, an Airbus A380 registered VH-OQA, fitted with four Trent 972 engines manufactured by Rolls-Royce, suffered an uncontained turbine disc failure of its left inboard engine shortly after taking off from Singapore Changi Airport en route to Sydney. The flight returned to Singapore and landed safely, and all 440 passengers and 29 crew on board survived uninjured.[175] Cowling parts of the failed engine fell over Batam Island, Indonesia.[176][177][178]

thats what i call dedication. fantastic summary thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Perhaps the more unsafe an airline, the more sexy flight attendents are....maybe a crafty move to divert the assessors from the real issues?..

Just take a look at those lucious chesty hotties fitted in red abord those Air Asia planes and totally forget that you don't have a life jacket below your seat or that the tank is not at full!!:passifier::wai:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2016 at 0:56 PM, WitawatWatawit said:

This is clearly wrong and damages Thailand's image. Thailand's very own respected international air safety ratings survey, conducted by social welfare students at Chula Uni on 1,243 Thais from 70 villages from Jan 5-6, puts Knock-Air at 7 Stars.

OMG lol lol lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 10:18 PM, ericnoodeeka said:

thats what i call dedication. fantastic summary thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That list leaves off the 1 2 Go crash  2007, where pilots simply  neglected or forgot how  to fly the plane in a go around- 90 dead, and how the airline  AND the airport  had a lot of issues, never addressed  never punished, and simply went under the parent co name Thai Orient and still flying.  

31 August 1987; Thai Airways 737-200; HS_TBC; light 365; Phuket, Thailand: While descending during a daylight approach in good weather, the crew lost control of the aircraft and crashed into sea, apparently due to a combination of errors by the flight crew and air traffic control. All of the nine crew members and 74 passengers were killed.

1980  1985  etc etc http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/thai.htm

And this one  Thai Air 1992   "July 1992, an A310-304 on the route, registration HS-TID, crashed on approach to Tribhuvan. At 07:00:26 UTC (12:45:26 NST; 14:00:26 ICT), the aircraft crashed into the side of a mountain 37 kilometres miles north of Kathmandu at an altitude of 11,500 feet and a ground speed of 300 nautical miles per hour, killing all 99 passengers and 14 crew members.[1][2]

Edited by PhuketSarah

On 1/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, Gulfsailor said:

Prop planes are less safe?

Really?